Desktops forum

Upgraded a few parts, now my PC won't boot

by djbroadben / December 3, 2012 12:55 AM PST

Recently, I bought a few upgrades for my desktop. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I still can't get the thing to boot up. The only thing that I can think of at this point is that maybe the power supply isn't strong enough to handle everything.
Here is a list of the upgraded parts:
Any help resolving the issue woul dbe greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgraded a few parts, now my PC won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgraded a few parts, now my PC won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What power supply?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 1:07 AM PST

Just a quick look tells me you need 200 Watts just for the card so let's try the usual 500 Watt SINGLE RAIL PSU.

Got that?

Collapse -
Power supply/ram
by djbroadben / December 3, 2012 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: What power supply?
Collapse -
The PSU looks up to the job.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Power supply/ram

Unless you do something like add 20 hard drives or dual video cards.

At this point let's repeat an old issue. Did you remove the extra mounting posts when you changed boards?

And then we need to define "boot up". Some folk think they can change all this and boot Windows from the old HDD. -> No. <-

Collapse -
Mounting post
by djbroadben / December 3, 2012 2:41 AM PST

The pins that put airspace between the board and the case/hold the board in place? I believe I have 4-6 placed around for support.

My issue is that the computer itself turns on, but my screen does absolutely nothing. I'm fairly confident that I have all the connectors where they need to be. ( I even double checked and reassembled by following the manual verbatum.)

Collapse -
A common gaffe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Mounting post

Is when folk change the motherboard, they left one that is now touching something on the backside.

There's more to bringing up a new system than I can fit here. And sometimes you cry as you find folk that "followed the manual" only to discover the manual had an error. Example? Sure.

One board I ran into had a typographic error and had swapped the HD LED and the RESET connection. About half the units would not boot as the LED on the RESET pins held the board in reset. The board screen printing was correct and one client insisted the manual was right.

Go figure.

Collapse -
by djbroadben / December 3, 2012 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: A common gaffe.

I didn't think to check if all the mounting posts were actually under the holes on the board, though I want to say they are. It will definitely be something worth double checking. Hopefully there is something there that is causing the issue, as I am fairly frustrated at this point.
I will hope that the manual is right, because it could be fairly nightmarish trying to refit all those little pins over and over until it works. (I'm not overly tech-savvy, but get the gist of where things are supposed to be.)

Collapse -
About the pins.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

When I'm looking at such a system I take a quick peek under the main board. Since I can't blow up hardware that isn't mine we always pull the main board to be sure there is not that common issue.

If you are absolutely sure about the pin connections, UNPLUG the HDD LED and RESET cables from same connections.

Also, be sure the little paper insulator is removed from the CMOS battery holder plus see if the CMOS CLEAR jumper is on/off or "proper" for normal operation.

Still dead. Pull the motherboard out of the case and build the bare minimum parts on cardboard. If it doesn't beep or light up, you are looking at the bad part or parts.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you do the bare bone bench test ?
by VAPCMD / December 3, 2012 1:20 AM PST

What RAM are you using ?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.