Desktops

General discussion

Upgradeability of T6212

by oklahomadanny / April 28, 2005 9:50 PM PDT

The T6212 is very upgradeable! The motherboard is an MSI-7093 (RS480M2-IL). http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb It comes with 512MB PC3200/DDR400MHz (2x256MB) Dual channel memory installed. It has 2 additional memory slots available, also dual channel capable (4GB max memory). It will support chips up to the Athlon64/64FX 4000+ & FX53, FX55 chips! With future BIOS updates it will most likely support even higher speeds than are currently available! Has room for 4 SATA drives, RAID0, RAID1 capable and 4 Ultra ATA drives. Also has IEE1394 'firewire'. All said, very easy to upgrade. This is probably the best bang for the buck computer in the last two years! Check out the link I have here and I think you'll agree.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgradeability of T6212
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgradeability of T6212
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video card and memory recommendation for the T6212
by RielTime / April 29, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

After reading some of the posts I'm about to pull the trigger on the T6212. I want to upgrade the video card immediately and maybe the memory as well. Can someone recommend a decent PCI express video card for somewhere around $150 give or take? Secondly, I may upgrade the memory as well. Is this memory acceptable and if not, could you provide info to what is?
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440
Lastly, I also intend on installing a TV tuner card or go with a external USB 2.0 unit. I believe that the motherboard has 1 PCI express and 2 PCI slots in it. I believe that the modem will occupy one of the PCI slots and the video card will occupy the PCI express. Correct me if I'm wrong,if I install a internal TV tuner card all my PCI slots will be occupied and if I so desire to install a independent sound card at a later date I will be out of luck?

Thanks for all your help............. Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by scottinindy / April 29, 2005 7:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tom:
by cv4stm / April 29, 2005 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom

That video card is actually a solid deal...it will play all games out rite now on medium graphics and since it is an ATi AIW (All-In-Wonder) it has the TV Tuner already in it

also, that RAM should be fine...if u get that, I would completely take out the RAM that comes with it

Collapse -
Upgrading the T6212
by ihop4no1 / May 2, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Tom,

In response to your questions regarding the T6212;

1. Upgrade the video card right away - doing so will free up the 128 MB of memory that is otherwise shared with the integrated ATI x200. (I bought an ABIT 256 MHz PCI-xpress from NewEgg for $116 and I'm VERY pleased). By the way, it's on sale for $112 + $3 shipping. http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814123141

2. Once you free up the memory by upgrading the video card, the 512 MB memory is acceptable, but I opted to upgrade by adding two 1GB sticks of Rosewill memory from ChiefValue for $86.99 each. (I saw your link to the Corsair memory which is a good price for solid memory, but why not go for the 1GB sticks? This mobo supports up to 4 GB's of memory and the Rosewill does fine.) Just a note: make sure to buy memory in pairs for this mobo. I added a 1GB stick and it only registered as 1.25 GB, but when I added the other 1GB stick, it registered as 2.5GB.) Also, NewEgg has the Rosewill on sale for $79.99 + $4.99 for shipping. http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223020

3. This mobo actually has 3 PCI slots AND a PCI express, so you're pretty set for just about any upgrades you might want.

One final note, that ABIT video card is excellent, but it does take some tweaking. Use the DVI adapter that comes with it for a MUCH clearer picture. My Dad commented on the picture quality and he NEVER notices things like that. Also, I set the refresh rate too high for my monitor and it looked bad but once I made the adjustment, it looks GREAT! Make sure to play with it and you'll have an excellent system!

Collapse -
Video card and memory
by RielTime / May 2, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading the T6212

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Would I really notice a difference between twin 1GB sticks or twin 512mb sticks? Regarding the video card, would it be a major upgrade if I installed the MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=0-N82E16814127147 in lieu of the ABIT 256 MHz or the DIAMOND VX600PRO256 Radeon X600PRO card? I would still need a TV tuner card. Anyone care to recommend one for a 19' LCD monitor?
One would assume that the T6212 with 2.5 GB of ram and a Geforce 6600GT card would be one heck of a machine.

Thanks again..................... Tom

Collapse -
You're welcome!
by ihop4no1 / May 3, 2005 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Video card and memory

You won't notice THAT much of a difference between two 1GB sticks & two 512's. You'll have 1.5 GB total vs 2.5 GB and once you get over 2 GB, there's really not much improvement.

That card you picked out is SWEET! I'd forgotten you wanted a TV Tuner. Be mindful of what one reviewer said of this card, though. He said, "...it gets me that I lose a PCI slot fitting it to the MSI Neo4 Platinum because of the extruding GPU fan. One would think that MSI would have thought of this."

ChiefValue has the 256MB version of this card for $13 less! It's currently out of stock, though.
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=14-127-145

Collapse -
Display
by firefighter7562 / June 2, 2005 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading the T6212

I have the T6212, I added a 18" Microtek Flat Screen and every time I turn the desktop on the computer will not boot up all the way. It stops at the big "E". The only way that I can get it boot all the way is by unplugging the monitor, booting the computer, and then plug the monitor back in a few moments later.

Also, I want to upgrade my RAM. Any easy and affordable suggestions. I'm not good with computer, just want all my programs to be able to run quicker when several of them are on. Also, Is it hard to install?

Thanks everybody ahead of time for your help.

Collapse -
re
by nerdyboy1234 / May 2, 2005 12:05 PM PDT

i would suggest getting the diamond one as has games. also would get the 1gb ram.

if u have the money, i would definitely go for the 6600gt.

Collapse -
RAM...
by jrmar07 / May 2, 2005 12:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
You would need to run the memory in pairs
by golftango / May 2, 2005 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM...

In this case, you would need two 1GB of RAM

Collapse -
Why?
by damasta55r / May 2, 2005 12:51 PM PDT

It may be dual channel memory, but i believe you don't have to just use that, 1x512 or 1x1GB should work in the none dual channel memory slot. Only in AMD PROCESSORS, DO you worry about this, but at hp.com, you can customize an amd athlon 64 and it says (1x512) so can't you just use 1 memory module? Btw, airliners.net is another one of my favorite sites. As a career, i think i'll be a software developer, start my own company. When i become rich, i'll also start my own airline and have a huge collection of planes. Another one of my aspirations is to be a chef, i think ill do that when i retire though. My dreams, but who knows if it'll come true? My favorite hobby right now is flightsims, i don't like to go to honolulu international airport and take pics though so i didn't join airliners.net.
Roger

Collapse -
You don't have to use memory in pairs BUT...
by ihop4no1 / May 2, 2005 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

...like I mentioned in an earlier post, when I added a 1GB stick to the 512 RAM, it registered as 1.25 GB (and yes, this was AFTER adding a video card, so the 128 MB of memory was no longer shared with the integrated graphics card). It has something to do with DDR (dual memory) and I don't claim to fully understand it, but I have the T6212 and eMachines made a point to place an update sheet on top of the packaging stressing that memory should be upgraded in pairs. Sure enough when I added the second 1GB stick, my memory now registers as 2.5 GB (the 2 X 1GB + the orig 2 X 256 MB). Go figure...

Collapse -
Don't know why, but you do...
by golftango / May 3, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

When I added one 512MB stick, my system slowed down to a crawl. Then I changed to two 256MB sticks, and it works perfectly. It also mentions this in the eMachines documentation.

BTW, I'm an avid Flight Sim'er and the best add on to date is FS Live Traffic. Downloads traffic from AirNav's Flight Tracker and changes the default AI traffic with the actual AC and Airlines. The ATC uses the flight data and actual call signs, now MS FS9 is as real as it gets! http://www.airnavsystems.com/

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 3, 2005 9:08 AM PDT

My fs9 keeps freezing when i run it. I have everything at max settings on my machine. In the middle of a flight, it will just freeze and i have to force quit. I think it's my machine. Check my specs in my profile, i think the graphic card is bad, and can't handle so it causes my fs9 to crash. I'm looking forward to fs2006, only 1 year left. I also have x-plane 8. Flightsimming is the best!
Roger

Collapse -
memory sticks
by RielTime / May 3, 2005 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Hi, since the t6212 comes with a pair of 256mb sticks would adding a pair of 512mb sticks work with the 256 mb sticks to create 1.56GB without issues?

Tom

Collapse -
Yes, adding two 512 sticks will do just fine
by ihop4no1 / May 3, 2005 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: memory sticks

If I recall correctly, you were looking at the Corsair memory, which is VERY consistent, stable memory.

Yeah, getting 2 X 512 plus the pair that comes with would give you 1.5 GB total. Keep in mind though, that 128 MB is shared with the integrated video, so until you upgrade the graphics card it will only register as 1.375 (2 X 512 + 2 X 256 minus 128).

Collapse -
How about this memory...
by SeaninWa / May 5, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask a couple of simple questions. I created a new thread discussion for this but should have searched for this thread to begin with, sorry.

I want to add 2-512MB DDR333/PC2700 (2 sticks). I have one already so I would only have to buy 1 more. I have checked the Motherboard website and it does support the slower (20% or so?) DDR333/PC2700 RAM.

Now there shouldn't be an issue with the original 2-256MB DDR400/PC3200 lowering frequency to match the 2-512MB DDR333/PC2700 right? I mean it works that way in my machine now so I assume it's universal unless I am missing something. That would give me 1.5Gb and should be good to go.

You don't think there would be much performance loss from DDR400 to DDR333, do you? I will have x700 Pro installed also. I mostly do MMORPG's and burning software btw.

In case you didn't know BestBuy has a signiture brand name, as I understand it called "Insignia" and they currently have a 19" CRT Flat Screen Monitor for $129.99 then $30 rebate for $99.99 plus tax, will be adding this btw Silly

Thanks for reading and responding!

SeaninWa

Collapse -
That will work BUT...
by ihop4no1 / May 10, 2005 12:24 PM PDT

...what you're attempting to do will work, but I must advise the following;

1. Memory works best in pairs. I had 2 X 256 and added 1 GB and the machine only registered 1.25 GB. After adding a second GB, it now (correctly) registers ALL the memory for a total of 2.5 GB.
2. There is a significant drop in performance from 3200 down to 2700. Not a huge drop, but probably not worth the aggrevation.
3. Memory is cheap nowadays, son. Buy a few pairs of the 3200. ChiefValue.com has Corsair memory for $79.99 (2 X 512) AND Kingston for $84.99, both with FREE shipping.
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=20-145-440
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=20-141-423
(By the way, I've ordered from them before - my stuff has arrived within 3 days!)

Ciao

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the info :P
by SeaninWa / May 11, 2005 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: That will work BUT...
Collapse -
video card
by iamtarun / May 11, 2005 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

r u using the integrated x300 video card.i guess it has
performance issues with high res gaming or hd rescaling.

Collapse -
damasta55r
by stonehkm / May 11, 2005 1:11 AM PDT

The HP rig is socket 754 and the T6212 is socket 939.
Single sticks of memory work fine on 754 but not 939. Matching pairs only.
P.S. This is a budget PC so most people will want to stay budget. Keep the 2 X 256Meg and add the same again for a total of 1 gig. Plenty for most folks.

Collapse -
add the new 2x512 or 2x1G into the current slots
by iamtarun / May 11, 2005 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: damasta55r

i emailed kingston technical support and they said
while upgrading memories..remove the current 2x256 from their slots and replace them with the new 2x512 or 2x1G memory modules. move the 2x256 ram to the current empty slots.

hope this helps,

Collapse -
Suggestions for upgrade of T6212
by John Robie / May 3, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

Hi Tom,

To answer your question about PCI slots. The T6212 motherboard, MS-7093 (RS480M2-IL), has one PCI-Express x16, and 3 regular PCI Bus slots. Best Buy shows the same and indicates there is are 2 PCI and 1 PCI-E vacant.
Those posting here that have the T6212 could verify.

Since you asked for a decent PCI express video card for somewhere around $150 give or take, I would suggest a better than decent card like the PCI-Express Nvidia GeForce 6600GT, which is more powerful than the Radeon X600. Newegg has come down on some prices and the eVGA PCI-E 6600GT is now $159 after $20 mail-in rebate.

The 1GB of Corsair RAM (2-512)on sale for $81 at Newegg seem excellent. Your could save a few $'s with just buying another 512MB to add to the current 512MB. BTW, IMO 512MB is adequated for current gaming. It is possible to maybe squeeze a little more performance with certain games using 1GB, but with 2GB for gaming, from what I understand, is just throwing away money at the present time, as without special instruments an ordinary person cannot tell any difference from 1GB.

Collapse -
re:
by RielTime / May 3, 2005 6:06 AM PDT

Thanks John for the advice. It is to my understanding that emachines suggests that you upgrade the ram in pairs and the t6212 comes with 2 256mg sticks.
You also seem to think that the Gateway 827GM from CC is a pretty good deal. Do you think it is worth the extra $150 in order to upgrade to AMD 3500, a 200 hd,and tv tuner card?

You guys are the best.............. Tom

Collapse -
Yep......
by John Robie / May 3, 2005 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

I would go with what emachine suggest, as I think their engineers are more in tune with their computer than most of us. A matched pair of additional 512's would save $'s.

Myself, I would go for the 827GM price difference.
The 3500 processor is used by some high end gamers in computers costing $1500-$2500.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Opps....meant mached pair of additional 256's
by John Robie / May 3, 2005 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep......
Collapse -
hyper memory
by iamtarun / May 11, 2005 7:31 AM PDT

when i checked with kingston, they asked NOT to use
the Hyper memory but use only the value RAM.

fyi

Collapse -
SPDIF/S-VIDEO connections?
by cflorendo / May 12, 2005 5:36 AM PDT

Hello,

I'm eyeing this emachine as a starter kit, but I'm confused about whether the motherboard supports spdif and s-video connections.

The claim is that the motherboard is an MSI RS480M2-IL, which lists these connections on NewEGG (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130485) but is not shown on the motherboard on the MSI site or the emachine back panel pictures.

So for those who own this emachine, does it have spdif and svideo connections?

Thanks,
Colin

Collapse -
no svideo/no digital out - need new sound and video cards
by iamtarun / May 13, 2005 4:57 PM PDT

it does not have s-video output.
why do u need s-video? do u want to connect it to ur TV?

spdif - it does not have optical/digital coax out.
the 5.1 channel support is all analog.
(this sucks though)

i am researching on good sounds cards as well..
cheap and good card seems to be chaintech 7.1. but it's not good for adv. hd audio in games.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.