How To forum

Question

Upgrade windows 7 32 bit to winodws 8 64 bit

by carmaiden / October 22, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

Greetings
I would like to move from win 7 ultimate 32 bit to win 8 64 bit.
I know that it has to be a clean install. I now that I have to back up my data to a ext drive and then move it back to the PCP. I know that the 3rd party software has to be reinstall. My system currently has 3 GB of RAM but I would like to put more RAM and the only way to do it would be to move to a 64 bit edition of windows. Since I am getting win 8 I thought this would be the best time to do it.
My system is a 5 year old HP. The details are:
Monitor LG 23" 1920x1080
RAM 3 GB
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 GHz
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 210 (upgraded from original)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
Hard drive 500 GB
Internal Bluray/HD DVD/DVD combo drive (yes, I got it before the format war ended) (non operational)
External Bluray/DVD drive.
I consider my computer knowledge to be higher than the average consumer but not an "expert"
I would appreciate any suggestions and/or instructions for the process.
Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade windows 7 32 bit to winodws 8 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade windows 7 32 bit to winodws 8 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This will be ugly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 12:42 PM PDT

Why? First you'll want to check if this maker has drivers for the OS you want to use.

Next, the Blu_Ray is dead. I'd love to be wrong but I'm finding that you have to buy player software. Another ding.

-> Why change?
Bob

Collapse -
Bluray
by carmaiden / October 22, 2012 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: This will be ugly.

Regarding the bluray player. I have checked if it works via the windows 8 advisor program and it is certify to work. Win 8 does not come with DVD codecs as 7 unless I get the Windows media center pro expansion which I am planning to do.

Collapse -
You know about DVD but about BluRay?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluray

It's tough to know today since this version is not out.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluray
by carmaiden / October 24, 2012 1:27 PM PDT

It is true, it is not out, but win 7 does not support bluray natively anyway (at least not that I am aware). The application that I use to watch (and write bluray) is Cyberlink Power DVD 10 and I do have the installer.

Collapse -
(NT) That's good to know. Hope they tell you it's OK on 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Bluray
Collapse -
Answer
Test first...
by Willy / October 22, 2012 7:59 PM PDT

Well, you can try the Win8 demo version if still available and see if it will work for ya. Download it and try. You still have to back-up, yada, yada. Better this way than finding out you can't settle all issues. Also, there should be a Win8 advisor pgm. that checks your PC to see if its Win8 capable or what is needed to be.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/advisor/windows-8/

OOOPS. MS hasn't released an advisor yet. But, one may come out sooner rather than later because Win8 is about to be released.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Advisor
by carmaiden / October 22, 2012 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Test first...

The upgrade advisor is not up and running at this time. There is a miscrosoft website where your components and peripherals may be input and checked. I have done that already and apparently everything is certify. I am going to run the advisor whenever it is available. I am not planning to do the change soon, but I want to buy the software because it is only $40. My question was more about the process.
I did install the win 8 beta in a virtual machine. I gave only 1 GB of RAM to the virtual machine and it did work but it was the 32 bit version.

Collapse -
Old news???
by Willy / October 25, 2012 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Advisor

The main thrust of win8 is to support mobile or tablet world PCs. As i understand it, if it ran under win7 it should under win8 to include 32 and 64-bit versions. I exclude any custom or unique requirements. If it becomes a popular item or device, then the vendor/maker will provide some direct win8 support. There are *NO* guarantees when going from older to newer OSes as been found in past experiences other than what I just posted. So, while it *may* make your older PC more capable it may not take full advantage of these features unless provided on a newly released PC more attuned as were, especially tablet based.

info: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6268

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.