Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrade to XP?

by pcford / April 9, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

Hi,
I hope I?m in the right forum. I have a Pentium III 1000mzh, 512 ram, 80GB HD, I have a separate video card,(don?t remember the name) sound blaster sound card, CD, and a
CD-R. and my OS is 98 SE. I had a XP home upgrade given to me, since my antivirus software and Microsoft is no longer supporting 98Se, would it be worth trying to upgrade instead of purchasing a new computer. I mainly use my computer for Internet, email, office work and few games like card, and puzzles. The only complaint that I have with my computer now is it runs out of memory when I open up several windows at one time, which I am told it a problem with 98 SE running 512 Ram.

If you don?t recommend upgrading could you give me some good antivirus and firewall software that will still support 98se.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade to XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade to XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
512M Ram is OK. The real problem is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to XP?

You don't know the make/model of the video card. Here's why this is an issue. Without that we can't find the driver for the video card.

Try BELARC ADVISOR and EVEREST reports. These software titles are free and found with google.com

Bob

Collapse -
Video card
by pcford / April 9, 2007 1:12 PM PDT

Ok my video card is a nvidia geforce 2 mx, was at work and couldn't remember the name. I also have the box my motherboard came in if you need any of that information.

Thanks

Collapse -
I don't need that information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Video card

You do since you'll be doing the upgrade.

Bob

Collapse -
Go ahead. Dive right in!
by TrackStar1682 / April 27, 2007 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Video card

I remember when I first upgraded from Win ME to Windows XP. My computer felt like a whole new and different machine and it ran about twice as fast! Finding drivers for the card should be a cinch as the drivers straight off nVIDIA's website will get you all squared away. Almost anything else may very well be taken care of automatically.

Collapse -
Question.
by bob b / April 9, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

About the mem issue.

How often do you reboot?

Collapse -
How often I reboot.
by pcford / April 9, 2007 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Question.

It depends on how many windows I open at one time. If I'm on the internet playing at yahoo, then open another program like email then I usually have to reboot to get my resorces back, or at least log off. If I stay on with just one window open it does ok. About once every 2 or 3 weeks it will hang and I have use my reset button, but I think alot of my problems could be my antivirus/firewall software. I'm using system suite 6, and I seem to have trouble everytime I have a new update.
Thanks

Collapse -
Resources.
by Cursorcowboy / April 9, 2007 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: How often I reboot.
If you don?t recommend upgrading could you give me some good antivirus and firewall software that will still support 98se.

To "upgrade" is your choice. Otherwise, don't use any such programs resident on the Win9x system and conserve your resources. Since Win9x came out I've never had any run resident, watch what I do when downloading and opening e-mails, and if I suspect the OS is acting strange or abnormal I run my set of eradication programs to see if the computer has for some reason become infected. It's a PICNIC -- person in chair not in computer.

The only complaint that I have with my computer now is it runs out of memory when I open up several windows at one time, which I am told it a problem with 98 SE running 512 Ram.

and

If I'm on the internet playing at yahoo, then open another program like email then I usually have to reboot to get my resorces back, or at least log off. If I stay on with just one window open it does ok. About once every 2 or 3 weeks it will hang and I have use my reset button, but I think alot of my problems could be my antivirus/firewall software. I'm using system suite 6, and I seem to have trouble everytime I have a new update.

RESOURCES:

1. For any Windows version before W2K, NT and XP you will always have to pay attention to what you do in order to conserve System Resources since there is only 64KB available. You should study:

a. Fred Langa's article, "Resource Leaks," Part One.

b. The "SYSTEM RESOURCES FAQ."

2. Windows 98 includes a core of three components:

a. USER - Manages input from the keyboard, mouse, and other input devices and output to the user interface (windows, icons, menus, and so on). It also manages interaction with the sound driver, timer, and communications ports.

b. KERNEL:

? Provides base operating system functionality, including file I/O services, virtual memory management, and task scheduling.

? Exception handling is another service of the Kernel. Exceptions are events that occur as a program runs and that require software outside the normal flow of control to be run.

? Allocates virtual memory, resolves import references, and supports demand paging for the application. As the application runs, the Kernel schedules and runs threads of each process owned by an application.

? Provides services to both 16-bit and 32-bit applications by using a translation process called thunking to map between 16-bit and 32-bit formats. Thunking converts a 16-bit value to its 32-bit equivalent.

c. GDI - is the graphical system that manages what appears on the screen. It also provides graphics support for printers and other output devices. It draws graphic primitives, manipulates bitmaps, and interacts with device-independent graphics drivers, including those for display and printer output device drivers.

Note: Each of these components includes a pair of dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) (one 32-bit and one 16-bit) that provide services for the applications run. Supplemental reading:

? "Computer Speed and Performance Decreases (Q259161)."

? "SmartComputing Editoral - Monitor & Conserve System Resources."

3. Once you get a handle on resources (what and how they operate) and you start experiencing problems with their availability for certain programs/applications, you can then decide for yourself whether a programmer abided by the rules or threw everything to the wind and decided to let you contend with the problem. You have to decide for yourself with whom the fault lies and whether to use programs from certain vendors when you know they broke the rules. A couple of choices for cleaning out those background programs:

a. Download and use "Starter," a startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items as well. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you re doing).

b. Please read the section titled, "Using the System Configuration Utility:"

? The Windows 98 System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe) provides a graphical interface for configuring the Windows 98 startup environment. The System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) lets you troubleshoot by creating a clean environment to test against. If a problem is not reproducible after performing a Diagnostic startup, a process of elimination can be used to identify the source of the issue.

? The System Configuration Utility lets you edit lines of Windows 98 configuration files, like Config.sys or System.ini, and provides the ability to "remark" individual lines in the files, preventing the lines from executing or processing on subsequent boots of the computer.

? The System Configuration Utility also lets you enable/disable items in your Startup group, and the RUN/RUN SERVICES keys of the registry. You can also use it to create a backup of system files.

c. Please read the TechAdvice articles, "System File Checker", and "Using System File Checker."

4. Tweaking memory: It has been suggested that when you open and close files and programs that memory gets fragmented just like your hard drive. To defragment memory, choose Start, Shut Down and then click Cancel. I would assume you could also use the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Del and then click Cancel to return to Windows. Whether this is affective I cannot say other than the instruction are contained in the Microsoft database.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Prompted for CD-ROM When You Run System File Checker While Correct CD-ROM Is in Drive (Q263499)."

b. "Error Message: The File Was Not Found. Verify That You Have Selected the Correct 'Restore from' Location and Try Again (Q180465)."

c. "Unable to Extract the Desk.cpl File from the Windows 98 CD-ROM (Q193312)."

d. "How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition (Q267288)."

e. TechNet article "First Steps" and apply useful tips to enhance computer speed.
Collapse -
Thanks for all the links.
by pcford / April 10, 2007 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Resources.

Thanks for the info and web links, looks like I have some studing to do before I decide to upgrade or not, but what I have read so far I think I might be better off keeping my 98se until I decide to purchase a new computer.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
A test.
by bob b / April 9, 2007 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: How often I reboot.

At the start of each day....reboot....any diff?

I use w98...works fine.
I've never seen the resource issue...no matter how many hours per
day/apps per day I run.

There are a few kinks but most can be ironed out.

Upgrade?...as long as w98 does what I need it to do....not me.

Collapse -
Hmm.
by bob b / April 10, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: A test.

I seem to be having a problem asking a question.

Let me try again.
Some folks will run the machine for days/weeks between boots.

If you do such a thing.
Try booting the machine daily.....test.

Collapse -
Reboot test
by pcford / April 10, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.

My machine is shut down when not in use, and everynight. If I have it on allday I will reboot before getting on yahoo to play cards, because java does slow everything down.

Thanks

Collapse -
If.
by bob b / April 10, 2007 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Reboot test

The problem is a resource issue.

A common cause is folks have too many products loading at startup.

This depletes the resource pool.

A test.
Boot the machine.
From the desktop.
R/C Mycomp.
Properties>performance.

You should be looking at a number of 90+%.
If it's lower than this it indicates too many products
are being loaded or some product is taking a big chunk.

Collapse -
xp upgrade
by Natalie Boyles / April 27, 2007 11:44 AM PDT

I have 1.4 amd athlon computer running win98se, same video card you have. I use a program "Rambooster v2.0" to optimize my ram. I use avast free version virus and Sygate firewall. These are all free programs. Rambooster has option for quick reboot, which I do a lot. I use CCleaner to keep computer clean, and also defrag a lot. You can upgrade but try these things in meantime. If you upgrade you can add more ram, but win98 cannot utilize more than 512mg ram. I plan on upgrading my processor as my motherboard will support faster cpu and loading xp. If you download "Fresh Diagnose" you can find out more about your motherboard and other hardware. A good local computer shop can help you out with any upgrades.

Collapse -
Upgrade
by c.b.mullen / April 27, 2007 12:37 PM PDT

If you are going to upgrade to XP I would recomment at least 1 or 2 GB of memory and a new processor. Your memory and processor are woefully inadequate. However, if you are going to spend money for more memory and a new processor I would recommend getting a new computer that is Vista PREMIUM certified. I would suggest a computer with a dual core processor, either Intel Core Duo or AMD 64X2, either of them at least 2 GHz. I would get a graphics card with at least 258 MB memory and preferably 512. You should also consider at least 1 GB and more realistically 2 or 3 GB of dual channel memory. I would recommend at least 320 GB of hard drive space.

Collapse -
Your spec
by Argotec / April 27, 2007 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade

Why not just tell him to buy a Cray and have done with it! Have you looked at what he's using it for?

Collapse -
Why have strictly one or the other?
by billygard / April 27, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

Just set up a dual boot for both operating systems. I still have older things, mainly an older soundcard and software that supports soundfont technology, in which I've been doing a lot of tweaking for heavy duty MIDI compositions. For this, I am hanging on to my Win98. I don't know what 2000 and XP provide in lieu of soundfont technology (sf2 files, Vienna soundfont editor, etc). Sound cards and MIDI seem to have reached their pinnacle during the reign of Win95, and 98 continues to support the software. So as a musician I need to keep this operating system present.

I use 2000 when I want to do a lot of heavy browsing, FTP uploading, and other things that can be unstable in Win98. I have found 2000 to be the more stable than either 98 or XP.

Billy

Collapse -
Upgrade
by Argotec / April 27, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

I must be missing something having read this thread. In the past I've installed Xp (home edition and Pro) On a P111 350meg with a 10 gig HD and 256meg SIMM and any graphics card I could find and it is still working fine. It works great on my IBM thinkpad E600 which has a 333meg Processor, a 6.5 gig HD 768meg memory and god only knows what graphics card - never had a problem. And I gave away a 1gig Celeron set up with 60 gig HD and 512 Meg DDR memory to a mate running XpPro and that's been working since they released Xp. I can't fault it I just hope that Vista ever gets as good. Upgrade and have fun.

Collapse -
XP
by sankarnarayanan7 / April 27, 2007 7:31 PM PDT

There is no problem installing the xp.But when you install xp in your pentium 3 it may slow your proccessing speed and speed of the computer.P3 is desgined for win 98.If decide to give up speed then xp is beat choice.

Collapse -
i must be missing something also
by wicked_breaks / April 27, 2007 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: XP

I have set up XP on p2's and many p3's with minimal RAM....it runs fine.....fact is it does take up a little more resources but you get that back tenfold with less crashes and more control of the OS
MUCH more stable than 98se do the subraction of DOS, you can close proggies that crash instead of using the good ole 3 sec power button hold with 98se...which i have only had to use on XP systems a handfull of times over several years

Collapse -
Vista
by prince10bee / April 27, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

Don't upgrade to XP. Take the CNET Vista Upgrade Advisory. It's awesome. Looks @ your system and tell you what you need and I you can upgrade.

Collapse -
Vista???
by Argotec / April 29, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista

With the spec this person has given, for the computer he has, he's just about in with a chance of installing Vista Basic. Personally I'd rather have a full Xppro install on my machine and the extra disk space.

Collapse -
Upgrade to XP?
by norsksteve / April 30, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

In order to run Windows XP, your system should have a minimum of 192mb of ram. You have more than enough ram to run XP without losing any speed (your current setup is probably slow, right?) Insert the XP CD, wipe the hard drive and start fresh. You will love the feeling of having a new system.

Collapse -
Definitely upgrade!
by andrewbaggins / April 30, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

Upgrading to Windows XP is a very good idea. Your system has plenty of memory, don't worry!

Before you begin, save all important photos, music, documents, or other wanted data onto CDs or onto another hard drive.

Re-format the hard drive before installing Windows XP.

After installing Windows XP be sure to install Service Pack 2 immediately. Service Pack 2 may be included on your copy of WindowsXP. If not, go to Windows Update website and download it there for free.

Service Pack 2 should turn on Windows' Firewall and Windows' Automatic Updates. Then Automatic Updates should use your internet connection to download all Security Updates, Hotfixes, Crical Ptches, etc. from Microsoft. So, after you have installed Service Pack 2, just play Solitaire or something while you wait patiently for all those updates to automatically download and install. You may need to restart the computer several times during this process. Eventually all the updates will be done and THEN you can start installing your favorite programs, games, etc. and using the internet in the normal way.

Don't forget to add some security stuff like AVG anti-virus free edition, some anti-spyware, etc. Set the anti-virus to run a regular scan of your system at a time when you are not usually on the computer. Virus-scanning slows the computer down for 20 or 30 minutes.

Avoid using programs that slow down your computer almost all the time (such as Norton System Works and others).

If you run too many programs at once, or open lots of internet pages, or lots of photos or documents at once then your computer will run very slowly. But if you avoid doing those things then your Pentium III 1000MHz processor plus 512MB of memory should work just fine.

If you want real speed and power then buy or build a new computer based on either a Pentium "Core 2 Duo" processor or an AMD 64 X2 dual-core processor (not as powerful but cheaper to buy!)

Collapse -
a real upgrade is to linux
by linux1357 / May 2, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

If you go and install windows XP you still need to worry about buying a new subscription to antivirus and spyware removal programs and firewall. Make sure you have the "full version" disk of 98-se.

If you don't have a full version of a previous(or current) windows nothing else will matter. heres why? if something goes wrong and a virus enters your system that cant be fixed, or if a user "PEBKC" "accedentaly" usally without thinking, delets the wrong file, or it gets currupted and your forced to reinstall... you can't format the drive in order to reinstall windows with your upgrade disk.

1st back up your important documents if you can.

2ed go to the control pannel open the add program install mannager, create a boot disk on a floppy if you have the drive and a disk.

3) 2 options, (a) I recomend creating a fresh install by fromating the entire drive then installing XP, (b) place XP cd into drive and install it will ask you to reboot but don't remove the disk.

4) spend 5 hours installing and using a cable modem to make the updates to the current patches.

5) create an account login for "administrator" and 1 or 2 "users" then ONLY use the users account: with any OS. only use administrator for when you do updates and install programs within user by right clicking on the program you want to install and "Run program As".

6) if your friend is fully transfering the rights of xp-home to you take it. but I can tell you right now after a few months it will start to lag on you.
Office program http://www.openoffice.org/

7) if you do not have a full version of a microsoft windows program: then look into linux.

http://www.linux.org/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

http://www.slackware.com/ Slackware is about as minumulist as you want to get.

Cool ultimately it comes down to how many problems you want to deal with. linux/and unix/ have a high learning curve but once your there you accually retain that knowledge.

Collapse -
(NT) Check Virtual Memory set
by Levindavid / June 4, 2007 6:33 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.