Desktops forum

General discussion

upgrade processor in a dell??

by jdcountryboy / June 17, 2008 12:02 AM PDT

I know the upgrade-ability of a dell is quite slim when it comes to hopping it up. I was wondering though, if you could upgrade the CPU without to much trouble. I have the diminsion 9200 with the Intel Core 2 Duo 6300(1.86GHZ), and want to upgrade to the 2.4 GHZ model. would there be any major issues that would prevent this from working smoothly?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade processor in a dell??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade processor in a dell??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dell upgrade
by ramarc / June 17, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

you'll need to stick with a core2duo with a 1066mhz or lower fsb. the e6600 (and any e6x00, e6x20 series cpu) should work without issue, but an e4600 could be iffy since the BIOS may not recognize the cpu. the e7xxx series will probably not work at all.

Collapse -
Dell cpu path
by Willy / June 17, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

Here's what I do:

Check the Dell support webpage and check what upgrade options are available. You needn't buy from Dell, just review the listing. Plus verify the exact cpu you have. Once you have that info, then goto the Intel support webpage to check the specs against other cpus that fall into that catergy. Just be sure the cpu matches what can be supported under the Dell system. It gets really confusing as the LGA75 cpu socket is mentioned again and again, but not all cpu can be installed. Last the Dell *may* need a bios update to support a wider range of cpus, BUT verify what any bios does. Of course be sure to follow the bios install procedure to the letter.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
you COULD also upgrade the main board
by squirtlewa / June 18, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

Obviously it'd add to the cost, but would open more options.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.