Laptops forum

General discussion

Upgrade Options

by Barney0046 / July 18, 2012 5:56 AM PDT

Acer Extensa 5235 laptop motherboard dead has anyone any idea what motherboards will fit .Might as well try to upgrade it whilst I have it In pieces grandson would like it for gaming,any ideas what would work???????????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade Options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade Options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade Options

Are you using your desktop experiences here? Laptops are very different in that if you have this then you need the motherboard from the same make/model. There are very few exceptions.

If this is your first encounter with laptop repairs, I understand why you asked.
Bob

Collapse -
Upgrade Options
by Barney0046 / July 18, 2012 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

Thans you Bob
Yes built and repaired a few Desktops ,not my first laptop repair had to replace screen on same model recently but that is all .The laptop is completley stripped down at this time after stripping it down I understand that they are very different who wouldhave thought you had to remove the keyboard to get at screws for the MB I am guessing but thinking about what you said is it something to do with the wiring??

Collapse -
Upgrade Options
by Barney0046 / July 18, 2012 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

So what options do I have ?? same mb better cpu? more memory? any idea what if any mb would go in? consider any all options .The laptop is actually one of my grandsons (he has borrowed my spare laptop till I can fixh is)

Collapse -
The usual
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade Options

Is to find the same motherboard on ebay and hope it's good. Usually the cost of a new board from the maker is about half the price or sometimes more than the new laptop of same or better specs.

I see I was unclear. Laptop motherboards are not standardized like desktops. Only the one for that laptop will do. If you find a model that is very close then that's sheer luck. I've seen some swappability inside the same make/model/year but not much past that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.