Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Worth it?

by brazilparty / October 9, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

Hello, is it wort it to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7? A lot of my friends say its the bomb but they do talk a lot lol so would like to hear from the pro's.

Thanks guys and girls!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep.
by MDFlax / October 10, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

Smoother performance than Vista, better at self-repairing, a more stable OS.

Not much on the surface has changed, a few tweaks here and there, but all the work is under the hood and that makes it a better experience.

Mark

Collapse -
Very worth it!
by dksullivan_99 / October 10, 2010 8:21 AM PDT

I had vista on my new laptop, I used it twice and it was so slow I put it in the bag and went back to my desktop with xp on it. When I bought the new windows 7, I got the 3 family pack. And the laptop was the first to get the win7 upgrade. And it made a world of difference. I couldn't stand Vista. All the problems I was used to good old xp and now win7 is a dream. Very much worth it!
Deb

Collapse -
upgrade
by mysablegsd / October 10, 2010 2:04 PM PDT

No. 7 has no mail program, it WILL NOT remember passwords, and you can only have the settings you want if you use their "theme." Worst piece of carp ever. bill gates should be flogged on the front steps of his building for this trash.

Sure you can fumble around and find a email, sure you can use roboform but for cripes sake, what is the point of the pretty themes if your scroll bar is the frakkin size of a pin head.

I HATE IT.

Collapse -
Customize the Themes
by TomPhilo / October 15, 2010 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: upgrade

Actually you can use their canned ones, but you can customize any canned one to use anything you want - it just takes a bit of work to do so since how you do it is not easily seen.

I my own images, sounds etc by taking their theme, then customizing it to the way I wanted, then saved it.

Upgrade from VISTA is worth it. MUCH better at reisting bad applications and not getting a blue screen - plus you can tell it to go search for a fix to an app that does crash and it can update it and fix the problem. Been able to do that with two of mine so far.

Boot time to logon screen is MUCH faster than XP (power on switch to logon is 45 seconds vs 1:50 on same box w/XP). Also, since you are upgrading from VISTA you do not have to re-install anything - even drivers that normally will NOT install will run - just upgrade over it.

Collapse -
THINK---and then THINK again.
by warpete / October 15, 2010 10:17 AM PDT

Why do you ask this question? Are you having problems with Vista? Is it that you simply want the latest and the supposedly greatest? I ask because everyone I know (my Tech friends) who purchased Vista is absolutely furious. I purchased the Ultimate version of Vista and listened to all of Microsoft's promises about the "perks" that the Ultimate users would receive. None of them materialized and to make matters worse, Microsoft completely abandoned these buyers. Finally, the biggest insult yet---Microsoft says to all the Vista buyers---"Open up your wallets and pay me again" for what is basically Vista with improvements. Even some of Microsoft's engineers have stated that Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, but Vista was released early do to public pressure. Of course MS has had a few years to make changes, but windows 7 is still Vista with some major improvements---and some of the exact same problems. If you do decide to go with Windows 7, don't do the "upgrade" route. If you "upgrade", Microsoft will deactivate your Vista license and you will not be able to install it on any other systems. I'm a system's builder and I have many systems---old and new. Most are still Windows XP Pro. A few are Vista---and one is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I find myself using the XP machines because of their speed. So, if money is no object, then go ahead and give Windows 7 a try. Otherwise, stick with Vista until at least Windoes 7 service pack one is released. Let others test out the service pack and if all is well, then purchase the operating system. Personally, I will wait until Windows 8. I am not at all impressed with Windows 7 over Vista---and I still like XP the best.

Collapse -
Windows 8? What fun
by wevvie / January 6, 2013 12:14 AM PST

Oh, you'll LOVE Windows 8.
I thought I'd give it a run so I used the upgrade from Microsoft. IF you have a touch screen...maybe...but I absolutely HATED it. It's more like a smartphone program than a laptop, notebook or desktop program

Frankly, I'm very happy with my upgrade to Windows 7 but I skipped Vista and went from XP (which I mostly liked).

7 is a breeze. I've used my dad's Vista computer and find it slow and stodgy, much like him, a 93-year old user.

Collapse -
I Divorced Vista Home Premium as soon Win7Beta came
by lakephillip / October 15, 2010 11:42 AM PDT

I love Windows 7. No operating system is perfect. Windows 7 isn't perfect, and there a couple of inconvenience's....but I rarely crash, I sometime don't reboot for several days, Having windows update driver and hardware software through Win7 is 99% effective.
I have a Solid State Drive. And from The time I input my password I am ready to go in 16-18 seconds.
What I would suggest is if you have a extra computer get a hold of a Windows 7 Disc you can test drive it free for 30 days. If not a extra computer, maybe a separate drive to install a Win7 Trial....or if you are running Vista you can dual boot...I won't ever go back to Vista, and my SOA Windows XP Computer mostly collects dust. I look forward to Windows 8 that was just reported in new Maximum PC Mag......Cheers!

Collapse -
Upgrade to 7
by kevinpo / October 15, 2010 1:42 PM PDT

In my opinion NO. I have had Vista for over 2 years without any problem. I just bought a new computer
HP Pavilion with 6GB of RAM & 1TB and have lots of problems. The big issue is that all my software is NOT
compatable with 7. If you have software older than one year then it is not made for 7. This was creating a conflict for me with IE and 7. After spending numberous hours with India installing fixes etc I decided to return the computer. At the moment I am not prepared to go out and buy all new software and a new printer. Someone told me not to get a new OS until the first service pack comes out. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Corroborated
by richteral / October 15, 2010 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade to 7

Similar experience here. I deliberately got my HP laptop exactly a year ago, just as W7 was about to be released; in fact, I seemed to be lucky to buy one of the last Vista operated machines on the U.S. market. With new OS and in my experience, it takes at least a year to sort out any snags, and I would give it rather two. HP is extremely good at integrating MS software, so the case of your Pavilion just shows that things are not yet what they ought to be. Having tried W7 on a desktop, I would not have it: there are some annoying features and no noticeable difference in speed compared to Vista. I have had no trouble with Vista at all. If it is good enough, stick with it.

Collapse -
Worth It? YES, Definitely!
by Clemmie3 / October 15, 2010 3:36 PM PDT

YES - the upgrade to Windows 7 is quite definitely worth it - and the upgrade installation is quite easy, as far as major upgrades go.

Windows 7 improves on a LOT of system functions, while using roughly half the system resources of Vista - so the improvements in both speed and smoothness of operation are immediate and noticeable.

Another writer complained about two items that were 'unbundled' from Windows 7, which are easily addressed:

#1 - If you're accustomed to using Outlook as your e-mail program, it is no longer bundled with Windows 7, but it is downloadable (for free) from Microsoft.

#2 - Password memory/storage (which I don't recall Windows EVER offering, but they complained about the lack of it in Windows 7) - IS offered within Norton 360 - a comprehensive security suite, which I use and highly recommend.

Take note, especially if you have more than one computer to upgrade, of the available multi-license offers. The Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for One computer is about $120 - but it is also available in a 'Family Pack' covering 3 computers, for $150 (often on sale for $120 or so).

The Norton 360 package incorporates Identity Safe (the Password handler), Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, and several useful System Maintenance Utilities. It lists at $70, and covers up to 3 computers for 1 year (renewable online).

If you deal with the office supply chain Staples, and are a member of their Staples Rewards program (which is free), you can buy the Norton 360 pack for $39.95 anytime, with your rewards card. (That ongoing offer is also useful for saving money on the annual license renewals - you can enter the key code from a fresh retail pack, in lieu of paying list price online to renew). Staples also usually has a sale of some type on the Windows 7 upgrade packs, at least one week out of the month.

Collapse -
Yes, but....
by andygawg / October 17, 2010 11:01 PM PDT

I upgraded from vista to w7 in November last year and had lots of weird problems (random freezes, and lots of plain weird goings on) I ended up doing a complete re-install and am now very happy with it. Not that I disliked Vista, but w7 is just better for too many reasons to list.

I think the reason for my failed upgrade was that I had tweaked vista a lot including registry changes. It seems this threw the upgrade process so much that my computer was totally unstable.

If you have tweaked Vista at all, I strongly recommend doing a clean install. You can still use the upgrade disk for this.

Collapse -
I Agree
by Clemmie3 / October 18, 2010 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but....

I would agree that, where you have made modifications to Vista along the way, or have known system instability problems, the 'clean install' option would be the best choice.

For those who may not know what we're talking about, let me attempt to clarify this. The Win7 Upgrade package provides two options for doing the upgrade. The Standard option installs fairly quickly (up and running again in less than an hour, in most cases), and preserves your programs, settings, etc. Perfectly fine for most of us - but as 'andygawg' points out, it can fail if there are any system problems with the old installation. Using the Clean Install option, the upgrade pack verifies the upgrade eligibility, then wipes out everything on the disk - and does, as the name implies, a 'clean slate' install of Win7....after which you reinstall your programs, reload your drivers, redo all your settings, etc. Which does, naturally, take much longer to do than the Standard option - but is the sure-fire method to eliminate any legacy problems in the system.

As always, with ANY op system install, you should first do a Full Backup of your hard disk....just in case.

Collapse -
Good added info.
by andygawg / October 18, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I Agree

Thanks for the clarification, Clemmie3. Well explained. It's true that a clean install takes much longer,the best part of a day in my case. You have to reinstall all your programs and drivers too, as you stated. Still it's nice to start using W7 with a "clean slate."

Of course, as you said, a Full Backup is essential too.

Collapse -
Windows 7 is worth it
by Daviddude / October 18, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Good added info.

I have two copies of Windows 7 Home Premium. The upgrade of my laptop which was running Windows Vista Home Basic went smoothly. I did loose the Fn and up and down arrow volume control though. Not sure why and Acer referred me to manufacturer who referred me back to Acer - I gave up. Other than that, no problems at all and I am glad I updated the Vista Home Basic.
My desktop had Windows XP and first install worked OK for about 3 months and then it just started acting up on me with blue screens, not waking up from sleep, etc. I did a wipe and fresh install of XP and then immediately installed Windows 7 to that - no problems. My desktop is (for me anyway) a powerful machine, 2 GHz dual core processor, 3 GIG of RAM and I finally feel like I am taking advantage of all that with the Windows 7 Home Premium installation. I only do emailing, movie watching and web browsing.
One thing though Briefcase function has been destroyed with Vista & Windows 7. I had been using Briefcase to back up my files since it was created. My laptop - with Vista Home Basic - out of the box, I started getting errors when trying to use Briefcase. i.e. "An unknown error has occurred, some of your files were not copied". I just did the manual copy of files back and forth - my laptop is not my primary computer and I only had a small set of files. I had been in touch with M$ on their support forum regarding this when I did the switch to Windows 7 and various tests of disabling the antivirus software, running Windows 7 is safe mode, downloading M$ apps and searching for system file errors (none found). All to no avail, Briefcase is just not reliable anymore. I have switched and now use Sync Toy on my desktop.
Bottom line, I am glad that I have switched from XP and Vista to Windows 7.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.