Windows Vista forum

Question

UPGRADE from Vista Business 32 to 64bit

by wwlphotos / March 24, 2013 11:48 PM PDT

I am upgrading from 32 to 64bit so that I can add more RAM for graphics programs, Photoshop, Painter12, LightRoom, etc. I am admittedly unlear of the path that I need to take.

Do I need to buy a new version of the software, do I qualify for the upgrade since I have the 32bit or it is already on my CD?

I also understand that I need to backup my current install, but do not understand why, will the 64bit not pull everything over, so to speak?

Please advise

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPGRADE from Vista Business 32 to 64bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPGRADE from Vista Business 32 to 64bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Look into...
by Willy / March 25, 2013 12:25 AM PDT

You're going to be installing a new version of an OS, its always been better and std. practice to do a "fresh" install. This means NOT over the old install to reduce any conflicts, glitches or hassles you may encounter...period.

Next, doing a back-up will have to be done, that way your data or whatever is saved. You will also best served to clean your HD of current data, but that's your choice. When installing the new OS, it will format and do that anyways before installing. You offer no clue what your PC is, but if OEM type OS install, be sure to check their support website and query there. Most have guides to help you so its worth the trip.

While 64-bit OS will allow more ram to be addressed, you MUST search your manual to be 100% sure the total ram that can be installed. This is the other half, on the h/w side of things. Your PC or mtrbd. can handle x-amount of ram. Some systems may allow only so much even with the 64-bit installed, so check that.

Last, since this is Vista any possible offer to upgrade has long been gone, IMO. You can ask and see what can be done, but consider it past due. You may want to consider Win7 at 64-bit just to keep up to date as a passing thought of similar version.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Two possible pitfalls
by Jimmy Greystone / March 25, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

Two possible pitfalls come to mind here. First, are you sure 64-bit Vista drivers even exist for your computer? Vista was the first major version of Windows to get a general release of a 64-bit version. It really wasn't until around the time Windows 7 came out that you saw more of an effort being made on the part of hardware vendors to accommodate people with 64-bit versions of Windows. So make sure the drivers even exist first off.

Second, there is no upgrade path between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. You MUST wipe the drive clean and reinstall from scratch. That is why you need to make sure the drivers exist.

It is also a good idea to ensure that your computer can even handle more than 4GB of RAM. If not, then there's really no benefit to installing a 64-bit OS unless you need an individual program to be able to use more than 2GB of RAM. If you're a real high end user of Photoshop and some other Creative Suite programs, that might be useful, but it'd probably be more effective to just get a new computer in such a scenario. If you're doing high end graphics work, there's no good reason to try and cheap out on hardware like you're doing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.