Mac OS forum

General discussion

Upgrade from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard then to Lion

by DianaWP60 / August 7, 2011 3:25 PM PDT

Hi Diana from New Zealand here Happy

Just a quick question ......I wanted to check whether I can upgrade to Snow leopard and then on to Lion on my iMac 8.1 Intel core 2 duo 2.66 GHZ processor with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro Chipset model?
Many thanks and kind regards
Diana

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard then to Lion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard then to Lion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Yes, you need to update to SL before Lion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 9:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Thank you :-)
by DianaWP60 / August 8, 2011 3:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
You can
by Jimmy Greystone / August 7, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

You can, but you'll want to make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM, probably more. Otherwise, it probably won't be the most pleasant experience. Just because you CAN run a particular OS revision on your system doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

Collapse -
Thank you for the advice :-)
by DianaWP60 / August 8, 2011 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: You can
Yes I do have 2 GB of RAM however I tend to agree with you about the revision - if it aint broken why upgrade?! LOL
Collapse -
I actually
by Jimmy Greystone / August 8, 2011 11:01 PM PDT

I actually don't subscribe to that particular adage at all. Fixing things that aren't broken is called progress. There was nothing broken about the method of banging two rocks together to make simple tools, but our ancestors went ahead and "fixed" it anyway, and 100,000 years later, give or take a few thousand years, here we are. Quite removed from or hunter gatherer ancestors. If you added another 2GB of RAM to your system, then it'd be a whole other story. Right now, it's kind of like you already have some hard granite rocks for making simple tools, but you move to a new area and are thinking about replacing it with sandstone. Which, admittedly is a rather bad example... But it's only 6AM where I am, so you get what you get.

Collapse -
Hi
by DianaWP60 / August 16, 2011 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: I actually

How easy/hard would it be to add more RAM Is it something we could do or would I need to take it to a mac person??

Collapse -
Adding RAM to your imac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi
Collapse -
I had to do the same
by JB2957 / August 15, 2011 2:44 PM PDT

I actually had to do that exact same thing with my old gen black macbook. Lion upgrade requires at least snow leopard 10.6.6 and i was origionally on leopard 10.5.5. I just had to get a disc copy of snow leopard and run all of the updates before moving to lion.

Collapse -
That's interesting,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I had to do the same

A disk copy of Snow Leopard would be unlikely to have any updates on it and would not be a suitable method of updating your computer by .0.1 of a point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.