PC Hardware forum

upgrade dell processor?

by chrtylee / November 6, 2012 7:31 AM PST

i have a Dell OptiPlex 330 MT. It has intel e2160. which is a dual core that pushes 1.8ghz. im really not sure if i need to upgrade, that seems quite slow to me...but i kno diablo 3 and modern warfare 3 both ran, online, with little to no problems. i also have 4gb of ram and an asus nvidia en210 1gb video card. as far as i kno my ram is maxed for my computer. and i really have no need for a better graphics card. but id rly like to change the processor. my comp is great if im only doing one or 2 things, but if i start doin more than a handful it slows WAY down. i kno task manager shows CPU usage at 100% a lot.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade dell processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade dell processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The 210 video card is not a good choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 7:37 AM PST

The highest video card I know of is the ATI 5450 that you can fit without changing the PSU. When it comes to gaming, I see folk try pushing up the CPU but in this case, it's not the CPU. I don't know how many PCs you've had in the past but that 210 is only good enough to let the game play. Not play well.

Collapse -
by chrtylee / November 6, 2012 7:44 AM PST

the video card is already installed, and yes i had to modify the case slightly for it to fit. and as i said i have no problems playing diablo 3, or modern warfare 3. 2 very modern games. my problem is that my computer sucks at multi tasking, which i kno is not the video card, or ram. which leaves the processor.

Collapse -
Up to you
by Willy / November 6, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Well besides the cpu, your PC bios has to accept the cpu or it class of cpu to the best it can. Because this is a Dell or OEM type PC it doesn't always lend itself to extreme upgrades. Being a LGA775 socket it will accept many a different cpu, BUT no guarantee it will actually run with it. I suggest if you hadn't yet do the bios update, its important for cpu updates reasons and other issues it may correct. BUT 100% you have no real problems now before doing the bios update, but at least Dell makes this an easy process, like A08 to A12 doing some bios???.exe update(or similar).

All I can suggest is to look up the specs of the E2160, find its class and type and ratchet up the next cpu that provides better performance. Similar specs do apply but the overall cpu rating is better, like a

Find a cpu with better specs of the similar FSB, etc. as so....

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by chrtylee / November 8, 2012 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: Up to you

considering the price id gladly get the E220, but whats the difference between tray and box? also, is 2.2 ghz as big of a boost over 1.8 as it sounds like? also, how do i check my gpu? not sure if thats causing any of my issues or not. seen somewhere that the gpu can clash with the cpu or something like that.

Collapse -
Tray vs box
by Willy / November 9, 2012 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: ???

I'll let this explain:

It all about retail vs plain(OEM) sales. It also refers to the warranty issues involved and of course price.

When you get a retail kit, you get everything, fan, info, any s/w or docs and overall basic help details. You lose all this with a plain box or just the cpu alone, nothing else is present in the sale, thus the price difference.

FYI- Just so you know, used and new really isn't much difference either provided they actually work when installed. Of course, no idea how an old cpu was treated.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
more questions
by chrtylee / November 10, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Tray vs box

do i need the oem if im doing this on a dell? also, will the hsf in my pc (same one that came from dell) work with the new one or should i buy the full package? lastly, my pcs owner manual says i can use the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Processor (3.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB). but it has a plga 775 socket whereas my current cpu is the lga 775. will it still work?

Collapse -
Even if you don't use retail HS Fan...I'd always opt for the
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2012 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: more questions

retail CPU and the much longer warranty.

Also ...might need to update the BIOS to ensure it recognizes the new CPU.

Collapse -
Hope this helps
by Willy / November 10, 2012 8:54 PM PST

The cpu itself will be capable in a Dell or any other PC that can use such a cpu or "class type". That's why you upgrade along similar lines.

As for HSF, will it certainly will fit and all, but you have to be sure its rated for that cpu. If that is the setup that comes with the cpu originally, then its rated for "wattage level" of the cpu in most cases to handle that heat dissipation. You still need to clean and then re-apply compound, etc. before use. If you want to go with some fancy heatsink and/or cooling method then be sure its rated for that cpu. If factory supplied it will work in most PC setups, if you get too customized, size may matter and/or location, so don't discount that. Re-using the Dell case definitively makes that a point to consider.

If you manual or tech source offers that, then go with it. LGA vs PLGA, may refer to the socket of course but also the "full name" of socket, we techs usually say LGA and leave it at that. But, it could mean that's actually what it wants. Too many PCs later to run into exact needs and not be so generic, once you delve into it all. I provide the explication below:

Also, surf the Intel website for specific Q&A on any cpu topic.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
by bob b / November 10, 2012 10:27 PM PST

The e2160 is rated at 65w.
The e6850 is rated at 65w.

That would seem to say the your original hsf will work fine.

Collapse -
swap file?
by chrtylee / November 10, 2012 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Your call

idk what ur talking about by swap file. and im running win 8 if u wanna be specific on directions.

Collapse -
Ouch!........Win 8
by bob b / November 10, 2012 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: swap file?

Old machine.........new OS.
Are you aware Dell does not support your combo?
Your in uncharted water.

Collapse -
by chrtylee / November 10, 2012 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Ouch!........Win 8

i am aware, but it came vista basic which sucks, windows 8 is much faster.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.