Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Upgrade a Dell Vostro 1400 XP to Windows 7?

by Badknee / January 19, 2013 7:51 AM PST

I have a Vostro 1400 with a Core 2 Duo T5470 processor - 3 gb RAM. It's running XP Pro.

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade analyzer, and it said it would run 7. However, the Dell site doesn't list it as being 7 compatible. Who do I believe?

Will I be able able to put 7 Professional on this machine? Has anyone else upgraded this computer to 7?

I just think it's time to upgrade to the newer system.

Thanks for your answers.

Badknee has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade a Dell Vostro 1400 XP to Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade a Dell Vostro 1400 XP to Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Badknee

Collapse -
I decided not to try it...
by Badknee / July 27, 2013 5:05 AM PDT

I found a new HP Probook 4540s i3 for a decent price - upped the RAM to 16 gig and haven't looked back. Think it was a good decision.

I also gave the Vostro 1400 to my 7-year old grandson. He loves it... "Papa, I've got my VERY OWN computer!" Got a few extra hugs and kisses from that decision. Happy

Thanks everyone for your help. If I had had some extra time, I would have liked to tried it. But, the world called and I had to answer for my limited part.

Hope everyone has had a GREAT summer... now, back to teaching. Sad

Collapse -
Two good choices
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 5:37 PM PDT

Excuse my intrusion but I saw your own reply to your original post.

Good to see you are happy with your decision to start afresh with a new system and I hope you will get many happy years out of it.

And also, letting your grandson have the old system was an admirable option, and what a great way to give him a head start with computers and an introduction to Windows.

.Nice work.

Collapse -
What that generally means
by Jimmy Greystone / January 19, 2013 7:30 PM PST

What that generally means, is that you're on your own to find the key drivers, Dell won't be providing them in one convenient location. You will have to seek them out from every individual manufacturer or all the key components within your computer.

Collapse -
Will that be hard to do?
by Badknee / January 20, 2013 3:17 AM PST

I've never had to track down drivers, etc., for a Windows machine.

If it's too hard, guess I can just stick with XP. Sad

Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
in short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 12:56 AM PST

Head to put in the service tag and see if the 7 drivers are there.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob.
by Badknee / January 20, 2013 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: in short.

I will do that. Hopefully, they will be there.

BTW, if I go to 7, does that mean I'll have to find all of the drivers for everything - video, mousepad, etc.? Sounds like a BIG job, unless the drivers are on Dell's site.

Thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
Doesn't matter which Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob.

If I install Windows I get to find all the drivers. Sometimes I need to update the BIOS before I start.

Not much new going on here. But a reason why most folk buy a ready to use machine and never change the OS.

Collapse -
owner of a vostro 1400 & windows 7 64-bit
by deveru / April 15, 2013 4:42 AM PDT

I have a dell vostro 1400 with windows 7 (64-bit) enterprise (service pack 1) installed on it
I used the drivers for windows vista.
The only driver who still doesn't work, and I didn't find a compatible one yet, is the one for bluetooth.
I switched the original hard drive with a ssd (mushkin 60Gb sata 2)
Installed memory - 4 Gb (2x2Gb)
the processor is the original one - Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2 GHz
I "tweaked" the os with a bunch of very useful advices found on the internet, and from the moment I press the start button till the username/password of the windows appears on the screen, it takes only 6 seconds.
If I can help you with any details concerning this pretty old dell, please contact me.

Collapse -
About the Bluetooth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 4:59 AM PDT

To enable that I have to install Dell's QuickSet. I find most folk forget that one since it's not a driver and the new thing is a few helper apps to turn things on.

Collapse -
Re: About the Bluetooth
by deveru / April 15, 2013 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: About the Bluetooth.

Thank you very much for the "QuickSet" advice.
I tried but it doesn't seem to work.

I found all "vostro 1400" downloadable drivers on

I tried "Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR), v., A00" and "Dell QuickSet, v.8.2.14, A05" for windows vista 64-bit.

I will further seek for a compatible driver, because I want to see this old laptop working whithout a glitch.

Salutations from Romania.

Collapse -
Keep in mind
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

That not all models had bluetooth. You will encounter folk that hope it has such but with small nano bluetooth usb addons that are under 3 bucks I can't afford to do much else but plug in the 3 buck dongle and add it to the bill.

Collapse -
Re: Keep in mind
by deveru / April 15, 2013 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Keep in mind

the model "vostro 1400" which I bought back in 2007/8 came with installed windows vista and bluetooth (hardware inside) and worked very well until I decided to give it a try to windows 7. I also have a bluetooth Epox dongle on usb, which works.
but I keep drilling the web for the right driver for the hardware inside this laptop.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.