Computer Help forum

upgrade a 2000 (?) computer for today

by hondochica / November 24, 2012 5:12 AM PST

Not sure this is the right forum - MD: please move if appropriate

I have an old computer that I never got around to recycling. It does not have a hard drive, so I can't fire it up!

I want to use this - if not too much trouble - as a very basic computer to:
a) use as my music server (am digitizing my music library) - want to hook this to my stereo; has to run foobar 2000 or media monkey or similar.

b) use it to watch internet TV (ABC, CBS etc) and Netflix; so it has to run modern Firefox (or IE) - and DVD movies; will hook it up to a newer monitor or TV - don't really need full HD;

That's it!! Basically an audio/video server!

The first question is: how do I determine the motherboard manufacturer/type? the only info I can find on it (yes, I have the case open) is the serial number: AK12987ME11401667

The cpu is an AMD duron: (D750AUT1B; if that means anything)
It has 3 memory slots; 1 memory card 128m; Can I still get memory for this?

what else do you need to know?

Video Card: Inno Vision TNT2 M64 W 32mb

Does not have an ethernet card - can I install a suitable card? will need to handle cable internet access.

It does have 2 USB ports - don't know what type. there are different types - right?

And, of course, I will need a hard drive - any suggestions? should probably be of reasonable size for the music library.

Now, for an operating system. I have disks from my laptop - windows XP. Any reason I couldn't install this as this OS? The disks are from a 2001 laptop.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade a 2000 (?) computer for today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade a 2000 (?) computer for today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 6:52 AM PST

Even the Pentium 3 at around 600MHz was barely acceptable for use for this. The TNT is usually so slow you can't watch TV.

I'd consider watching Freecycle and the free area of Craigslist to snag any newer Pentium 4 or better on 1GHz and then try again.

Collapse -
by hondochica / November 24, 2012 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

I've recently discovered really really cheap - off lease (?) computers on Tiger Direct for < $100. Seems like any one of these would do the job? Or am I missing something?

btw: what, exactly, does 'off lease' mean?

thanks in advance

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 1:57 AM PST

Companies that leased them and now the lease is up and the machines are returned. Minor refurbishing is done and then the machines are moved out. You can see such at too.

Collapse -
I'll agree with Bob ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 24, 2012 1:34 PM PST

that for what you say you want what you have will not work.

Additionally, you mention "Now, for an operating system. I have disks from my laptop - windows XP. Any reason I couldn't install this as this OS? The disks are from a 2001 laptop. "

The main reason you can't do that is that the disks are for the laptop and the Operating System can only be installed and activated on a single computer. Unless you bought the XP installation CD RETAIL it will be an OEM disk and that OEM license cannot be transferred to any other PC even if the PC dies on you.

Collapse -
by hondochica / November 24, 2012 1:41 PM PST

thanks for input!!

OK then - since I have no hard drive and no OS to put on one anyway, I'm ready to scrap this whole idea.

what about some cheap cheap cheap system? What's the minimum I need (in hardware) and/or what component is most critical for watching video via internet?

thanks again in advance

Collapse -
by Willy / November 24, 2012 8:47 PM PST

It's 12yrs. old, too far gone. It's not the h/w that maybe holding you back but any newer s/w would be crippled in some way or become a bottleneck. I suggest you find a newer to you at least dual-core PC. While you may have to pay for it the outcome would be better for your needs, even a P4 based PC may suffice. FULLY RECYCLE that old PC. But heck you can play all you want just to get a feel of what we're suggesting here.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.