Windows Legacy OS

Resolved Question

upgrade 32-bit XP to a 64-bit OS? Windows 8?

by RWutch / January 27, 2013 6:54 AM PST

I would like to upgrade my 32-bit XP OS to a 64-bit OS so I can make better use of my computer's capabilities. Any suggestions? Would Windows 8 be a good move (especially at $40 for the upgrade this week)?

Thank you. You folks have been very helpful.

Ron

RWutch has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade 32-bit XP to a 64-bit OS? Windows 8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade 32-bit XP to a 64-bit OS? Windows 8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by RWutch

Collapse -
Re: upgrade
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 6:59 AM PST

An upgrade from a 32-bit XP to a 64 bit 8 is not possible. The upgrade program sees you have a 32-bit OS and downloads a new 32 bits also.

So your choice:
- upgrade to 32 bit Windows 8
- buy a retail 64 bit Windows 8

Buy the way, a 64-bit Is doesn't have much (if any) advantages on a PC with 4 GB or less of memory. And 32 bits Windows XP machines don't have more than 4 GB. So it's somewhat doubtful if you profit from it without buying additional memory. And - if you do that - it depends on what you do with your PC if you'll notice any performance difference between 4 GB and 8 GB of RAM.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you!
by RWutch / January 27, 2013 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: upgrade

Thank you for the info. The reason I'm thinking of a 64-bit OS is that I built the system with an AMD Phenom II quad core and an Asus motherboard that can handle 25.6 GBs if I can get the 64-bit OS. Any other ideas for a 64-bit that won't cost me as much as the retail 64 bit Windows 8?

Thanks,

Ron

Collapse -
(NT) The System Builder version.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you!
Collapse -
There's another way
by Plantsmantx / February 2, 2013 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

If you didn't buy the $40 download, this information won't do you any good, but if you did...when someone buys the download, they get an email with the invoice. At the bottom of that email, there's a link that takes you to a page from which you can order two Windows 8 Pro backup DVDs for $14.99. One of those DVDs has the 64 bit version on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.