PC Hardware forum

Updating BIOS

by FreddyGuy / December 15, 2012 8:14 AM PST
Question: Does anyone know where I can find info about all the updates done on my Gigabyte motherboard's BIOS (Model Number EP45-UD3R) that includes details about what precautions I need to take to avoid damaging my system after the BIOS? (For example, some BIOS require editting certain settings in Vista before hand in order to function properly.) This site has a short description of what new features there are, but nothing about precautions you need to take.

Additional info:
I'm having problems with my second disk on my computer, and searching on google some people resolved the problem by updating their motherboards BIOS. Basically either my disk has gone bad or I need to update my BIOS. I'm doing a disk check now.

However, before updating the BIOS I want to read the accompanying info about the updates to see if there is any chance it could fix my issues and to avoid doing an update if it is, for some reason, incompatible with my system.

All I can find is this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3013#bios

Motherboard Model Number EP45-UD3R

I have the original BIOS (version F3)

I've never flashed BIOS before, and I don't want to do it without reading the accompanying docs on it.
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating BIOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating BIOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Unless you're experiencing a problem that's solved by
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Updating BIOS

FLASHING the BIOS, I'd leave it "as is".

Collapse -
Thanks Vap,
by FreddyGuy / December 15, 2012 11:14 AM PST

That is what I'm trying to find out, if the new BIOS has a solution for the problem I'm experiencing, but the descriptions on the site listed don't seem to cover my problem. I'm trying to find out if there is a more detailed description, or if that is it.

Thanks for the reply though!

Collapse -
Might try contacting Gigabyte Tech Support for more
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Vap,

What problem is it you're thinking the BIOS flash might fix ?

Collapse -
My second hard disk is extremely slow and often doesn't
by FreddyGuy / December 15, 2012 2:30 PM PST

My second hard disk processes slowly, and for a while wasn't even recognized by the computer as existing.

PDFs, when opened, look distorted, but if copied to the master drive they function normally.

I'm running a disk check right now to see if it is just a bad hard drive, I've had it for a while and it used to be fine, but it only had a few files on it. Now I use it for more files and it has started being slow. Disk check has been running for 6 hours or so and I'm only at 134 out of around 125 thousand sections.

Collapse -
500GB hard drive.
by FreddyGuy / December 15, 2012 2:41 PM PST

Sorry, meant to say 12.5 thousand sections.

The hard drive is 500GB and I've had it for...3 years or so.

Collapse -
Might try the mfgs disk diagnostic...you can download those
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 10:49 PM PST

directly from the mfgs wesbite....Seagate, Western Digital, etc.

Wow....6 hours and only 136 sectors out of 125K sectors. Might finish by New Year.

Also might try HDTune...that can give you some quick performance info and you can compare performance between drives in the system.

If the drives test OK...then you might try the BIOS FLASH to F12 as there are some known I/O issues identified with the original BIOS.

BTW ...what hard drives are you running ...are they PATA or SATA ?

Collapse -
by FreddyGuy / December 16, 2012 7:05 AM PST

Collapse -
Ok...then we can eliminate jumpers on PATA drives.
by VAPCMD / December 16, 2012 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: SATA

If the testing doesn't show a problem with the HDD itself,might try another SATA cable and if that doesn't work try another SATA port.

Collapse -
Thanks I'm going to use seagate tools to do the testing but
by FreddyGuy / December 16, 2012 5:55 PM PST

I need to get a CD to burn it onto so I can have it run during boot. I'll buy one in the morning and report back when I've completed doing that, plus your other suggestions about the SATA Cable.

Collapse -
Problem Resolved: Replaced the SATA cable
by FreddyGuy / December 19, 2012 3:19 PM PST

So I ran seagate tools to check the disk, the first few quick checks didn't find anything, and then I did the larger check, and it took 8 or so hours, and it didn't find anything wrong either.

So I purchased a new SATA cable to replace the old one, and now the problems I was having are (so far) gone. There is still a small (and expected) delay on seeking for very large files, but I would expect that in any event. But the warping/skipping issue I was experiencing is gone.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear and Thanks for the feedback.
by VAPCMD / December 20, 2012 11:07 AM PST
Collapse -
You just want to be sure no power failure
by wpgwpg / December 15, 2012 8:33 AM PST

As long as there's no power failure during the update, you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you do it on a sunny day when there're no thunderstorms because if there's a blink of the power during an update, your motherboard's reduced to a door stop. There are ways to recover, but the ounce of prevention certainly outweighs the pound of cure. It only takes a few seconds to do the update, and I have to say I've never had a problem doing it (knock, knock!), but I always check the weather channel and use a UPS (aka battery backup) just in case. With a UPS, you've got to be somewhere around 99.999% safe, and it's a good thing to have in any event.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by FreddyGuy / December 15, 2012 11:17 AM PST

Cool, good to know thanks WPG!

Collapse -
PS...The procedure should be DETAILED in the MB
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 8:34 AM PST

MB manual.

The good news is most GB MBs have a dual BIOS meaning if you hose up the main BIOS with a bad flash/update, you can usually switch to the backup BIOS to get back up and running.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.