Tablets forum

Alert

*Updated* Lenovo ThinkPad Helix! i core 7 estimated Cost!

by DeezeyTech / February 11, 2013 1:12 AM PST

I was just informed of this today. Don't know if they might hold back
the Helix again but i am nervous from how the Rep was responding that i
could be pushed back again.

Or

The rep clearly didn't
know what they where talking about, But some info is better than no
info.

Also got a small price estimate with configuration of i-core 7
processor, 8 gigs Ram and 256 gigs of SSD storage. I think we are looking at $2000.00 USD with stated configuration....I was a little pushy, but that was only b/c i am pressed for time.

http://deezeytech.com/images/images/Screen%20Shot%202013-02-09%20at%202.17.09%20PM.png

Cheers!

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *Updated* Lenovo ThinkPad Helix! i core 7 estimated Cost!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *Updated* Lenovo ThinkPad Helix! i core 7 estimated Cost!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't reveal why the i7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 5:00 AM PST

While nice for bragging rights, it rarely helps in games. I'm sure you've read the following.

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Why not drop back to an i5, look for more storage? I'm running into folk that got 200'ish SSDs and they are upset about the space issues.
Bob

Collapse -
DIGITAL ART
by DeezeyTech / February 11, 2013 5:12 AM PST

I'm using this configuration for a portable digital art work station running cs6, z-brush , 2013 3ds max, and other digital art professional grade tools on the go. The touch screen with digitizer sensitivity is a must (think of it as a portable cintiq), and the extra processing power and ram is needed for crunching those polygons... I intend to over clock it a tad to push out a wee bit more from the i-core 7.

Collapse -
I usually find the art folk to run to the Cintiq and such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: DIGITAL ART

Wacom has quite the following today. Once in a while you run into an artist that loathes the name or price but after a decade, Wacom must be doing something right.
Bob

Collapse -
Nothing like direct touch...
by DeezeyTech / February 11, 2013 5:58 AM PST

When you can actually draw on your art and not have the weird learning curve form the disconnect of a tablet input device that is not integrated into the screen, it can take your art to a whole new level... Trust me on this one guys...

Collapse -
Cintiq does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 6:13 AM PST

Wacom CINTIQ 22HD is highly regarded and well, trust me on this one everyone.
Bob

Collapse -
GORGEOUS!
by DeezeyTech / February 11, 2013 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Cintiq does that.

Yeah that's great and all if you have the looty to drop on a crazy expensive touch display and don't mind being tethered to your desktop... I'm looking for the all in one package. That is why I am going with the Helix ThinkPad convertible. May not have nearly as much pressure sensitivity, but this product gives me the freedom of walking to the nearest park, off site location, or working during a flight to get some work done...

Collapse -
An artist and their tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: GORGEOUS!

When I pick up a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I've seen a lot of folk ask for pressure sensitive tablets but sales seem rare. It's not that there is no market, it's just a small market.

However I went to the Lenovo site and didn't find any pressure sense feature. Are you sure this is not going to upset the artist?
Bob

Collapse -
Link
by DeezeyTech / February 11, 2013 7:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Link to PDF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Link
Collapse -
Here ya go...
by DeezeyTech / February 12, 2013 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Link to PDF
Collapse -
Nice to see that. But!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Here ya go...

Is that some engineering model? Or model they are showing off it is possible?

We've seen this before and folk get excited then the models in the stores don't have it. I read the Lenovo site I linked to a few times and nothing in the specs or pages there about the Wacom digitizer.

Be sure you get this in the specs and don't buy unless you have full return privileges as sometimes these things are not working on delivery. You get a promise that it will be fixed in a later driver. Or you discover your apps don't work with it.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed.
by DeezeyTech / February 12, 2013 4:47 AM PST

I agree with you, but I do believe to the best of my independent research and discoveries that this is what you will get in the final delivery. Could be a reason why they set back the ship date a few months b/c of manufacturing difficulties and/or the lunar Chinese new year...

I will wait to purchase until i get the full specs on release and a final unboxing/review of the product just in case they go with a classic bait and switch tactic you have described above.

Collapse -
What I see over there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 5:49 AM PST

I've been over a Taiwan a few times and they often show off the engineering models and see what interest there is. If they can't get enough orders or commitments they delay it.

Some folk think the company makes such things then shows it off then it goes to the stores. That's not what I see.

I see meetings, talks, demo units, first article production, more demos and then they decide to go ahead if they get enough orders.

This confuses the heck out of folk that know such is technically feasible but why isn't it for sale today?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.