Windows 7

Resolved Question

update touchpad drivers

by jamspillane / April 5, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

i just got a new laptop it worked fine for an hour and i turned it off when i restarted it the left and right click had stopped working my internet research told me i need to update drivers
im unsure how to do this as the laptop is difficult to navigate without those buttons
is there a command prompt i can use and how exactly do i do this?
as you can tell im not a computer expert,any help would be great
cheers

jamspillane has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: update touchpad drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: update touchpad drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jamspillane

Collapse -
Re: update drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 6:16 AM PDT

A Windows 7 laptop with a touchpad sounds like it has at least one USB port for a USB mouse. That solves your navigation problem.

I've never seen a one hour old machine needing new drivers for something that worked the first hour. Can you link to the page on the web that said this?
Anyway, if the makers customer service or the shop assistant (where you bought it) can't help you the best thing to do is return the laptop as dead on arrival and buy one that keeps working.

Kees

Collapse -
cheers
by jamspillane / April 5, 2013 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: update drivers

i went through about 50 pages they werent specifically dealing with brand new laptops just the issue with the buttons not working
the most common answer was to update the drivers by using a command prompt, uninstall drivers and restart then windows reinstalls the correct ones (im paraphrasing)
like i said im not exactly sure how to do this but its my only option right now cos i dont have a usb mouse

Collapse -
USB Mouse.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: cheers
Collapse -
wish i didnt ask
by jamspillane / April 5, 2013 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Mouse.

ill try another forum this is pointless

Collapse -
Wish I didn't ask.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: wish i didnt ask

The only pointless thing about this is you won't listen to advice. Kees was right. Return it.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Re update drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: cheers

I've never needed a command prompt to update drivers. In fact, there isn't a download command in the command prompt nor an update driver command. And I doubt if Windows will update them automatically either.

With such a vague and unclear recipe without any detailed instructions, and you seemingly not being able to make notes or copy/paste and digest that info into some useful form or go back to those 50 pages you went through and study it again, it's unlikely you'll get effective help on any forum.

So the only option (without help from the maker or the seller or a local tech, or a friend or family member that has a mouse or knows all keyboard shortcuts you need) seems to be to use the system recovery back to factory conditions as documented by the maker of the laptop. Then - with some luck - it will work for another hour.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks
by jamspillane / April 5, 2013 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re update drivers

i went to toms hardware all the info i needed was there now working perfectly
i asked for advice on updating drivers i was told to return the laptop
i said i didnt have a usb mouse someone posted a link to amazon so i could buy one
real helpfull
thanks for sharing your laptop knowledge

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Understandably you can get a little frustrated when doing something like this.
Glad you got it sorted. Buying a usb mouse can come in handy in the future.

All the best.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Re: mouse
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

Personally, if I have to work on a laptop for more than a minute, I connect a mouse. It's so much easier than using the touchpad. But i might be old-fashioned.

Kees

Collapse -
Mouse..
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mouse

So do I Kees, I hate touchpads.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Touchpads are masochistic devices
by wpgwpg / April 6, 2013 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mouse

Touchpads are masochistic devices designed by evil demons. When you can buy a mouse for as little as $4, plug it in, and live happily every after, why do anything else. Any place that sells computers or office equipment will sell you a mouse.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.