Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

Question

Update or?

by cproject / November 3, 2012 10:52 PM PDT

I have a Packard Bell imedia S3210 with an AMD Athalon 7450 Dual Core Processor 2040ghz, 2.00gb ram on a 64 bit operating system -
Alls relatively good about the machine...however it is starting to sound like a jet plane taking off, and generally sounds like its struggling to keep up with the daily operations I am trying to perform.
I have opened up the case, given it a thorough clean, but this hasnt helped!
I even ran a speedcheck etc to check on its performance, apparently its ok!!?
I have been told by a friend I could do with a new case and power supply and a new cpu fan (the specifics I havent got a clue) All I know is i am usually on the pc throughout the day, therefore the pc is on and running pretty much everyday - I use it for work and music production.
Any help on what best to do, what components to buy etc, would be massivley appreciated (on a small budget too)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update or?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update or?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Update or?

The usual cause: too hot a CPU. That's either hardware: check the CPU fan and apply new heat paste, or it's software (some process using you CPU up to 90 or 100%).
It could be the GPU fan also, however, but that's unlike if you do nothing expect having the desktop on the screen.

I'd start with the processes tab in Task Manager to have a look at the CPU usage. After boot, wait a few minutes for the normal startup things to be done (that's Windows Search, antivirus and such), and then with just the desktop on it should be 98% idle at least. If not, sort on that column and tell us the top 5.

Kees

Collapse -
next:
by cproject / November 4, 2012 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: sound

HI Kees,

Some of that sounds easy enough, some of it, you lost em!! but... Ive judt done the CPU usage using task manager - the usage fluctuates between 7%-38%

Ive got 74 proccesses running on the task manager (again half..ok more than that mean nothing to me) but theres nothing showing me thats somethings running like crazy.

utorrent, windows explorer and task manager are the main processes that show a number increase-decrease etc

Collapse -
utorrent = typical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: next:

No need for that to be running.
Bob

Collapse -
which?
by cproject / November 4, 2012 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: utorrent = typical.

even when I am running it on purpose?

Collapse -
Re: utorrent
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: which?

What happens with that sound if you turn utorrent off?
And I don't like that Windows Explorer doing anything if you do nothing except looking at task manager.

Kees

Collapse -
following
by cproject / November 4, 2012 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: utorrent

If i turn utorrent off, nothing changes

like now I only have explorer open and running, thats it, its not as loud as it can be, if i opened another say 2-3 pages then it starts to speed up again, until i start to close pages down

Collapse -
Re: explorer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: following

You said Windows Explorer. That's the program you use to look at your folders and files. Now you're talking pages, so that looks like Internet Explorer. That's the program you use to look at the Internet.

Two things to try:
1. Go to Tools>Manage add-ons and turn all off. Makes a difference?
2. Download and install another browser (Firefox and Chrome are free). Any difference?
3. Make a new Windows account and try the same there. Any difference?

Just having a page open should mean NO change in CPU usage. This is starting to look like malware, or at least an add-on gone wild.
So also better run the malware-checks from Grif's advice at
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

With utorrent off, and your browser doing nothing except having 10 tabs open, the system idle process in task manager should be 98% at least.

Kees

Collapse -
will have a play...
by cproject / November 4, 2012 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: explorer

Thanks Kees,

Ill have a look at that malware checking tomorrow when Ive got some time spare and report back.

I do regular checks with windows defender, norton, security essentials etc etc and im usually pretty good and knowing whats spam email and so on.

Just in case it is the hardware side...what do you think about the components I listed in the first post? any ideas on what I should be looking for?

thanks

Collapse -
Then it's fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: which?

The machine is behaving as it should. At least you can make choices on what it will be doing.
Bob

Collapse -
nope
by cproject / November 4, 2012 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Then it's fine.

Unfortunately it ISNT behaving as it should, if I open multiple web pages, which at times I have to...then the sound of the fan goes to an extreme!

Its only when i start closing pages down it slows, like now...

I have open 1 explorer page, utorrent is off...thats it and the noise is intermitent speeds up, then slows down etc and this sometimes slows down accesibility to what I am doing or want to do

Collapse -
That's proper too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: nope

As you open more pages, those pages have scripts and the CPU gets more and more busy. However you have a lot of folk that are new to computing so they won't catch on what's going on. To get a slick responding machine we stop the utorrent, open just the pages we need and close those that we don't need.

Some folk will upgrade the hardware so yes, that's good for the PC economy.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by cproject / November 4, 2012 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: That's proper too.

Thanks Bob

I have tried all that, numerous times on various occassions, I think its just down to the PC being old-ish and generally getting more of a hammering now than ever before.

thanks anyway

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.