AVG forum

General discussion

Update Failed. General error.

by offworld / December 1, 2010 8:33 AM PST

I used the previous version of AVG for a year with no problems. Upgraded to AVG 2011 one month ago. For the past 2 days the update has failed! Is there a fix? BTW, OS is Vista Ultimate.

Thanks, JT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update Failed. General error.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update Failed. General error.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Update failed. General error
by Ondrej_AVG / December 1, 2010 5:25 PM PST

Hello offworld,

please follow this How-To at AVG Free forums, gather needed AVG update logs, pack them in an archive (zip file), upload it to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it.

Thank you

Collapse -
Also having General error on updates
by Duffledorf / December 8, 2010 2:50 AM PST

Hi AVG Staff

I hope you can also assist me, I have been having this problem since my last succesful update on 24 Nov. I am running avg 2011 free on win xp professional and you can find my logs at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12556160/AVGlogfiles.zip

thanks
Duff

Collapse -
Re: Also having General error on updates
by Ondrej_AVG / December 8, 2010 9:43 PM PST

Hello Duffledorf,

analysis of "avgupdm.log" points to known error AvgAviLoaderDriver::ReloadCoreDll failed: -1073282951 (0xc0070079), which will be fixed in next program update (several days). This update is already available in AVG Beta program.

Apologies for any inconveniences caused by this situation.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Collapse -
Please help me !!!
by seowork1 / February 24, 2011 8:31 PM PST

Hi,

Will you please help me.......

Update Failed - General Error" I get this error on 2 pcs that run Windows 2000. The other 8 pcs that we have do not have any problems.

I deinstalled, reinstalled AVG 8 and still get the same error.

I downloaded the updates, and updated them within the directory. All was well, until there were no more updates, and the General Error appeared again.

Update Manage: General Error

Any help would be well appreciated. This problem has been going on for over a week now.

Regards
Manish

Collapse -
Locked.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2011 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: Please help me !!!

seowork1.

I'm locking this. If the AVG Tech helpers want me to unlock it, they can send me an alert.

I'm locking because of your post. You already have another 'open' discussion here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19703_102-518291.html?tag=threadListing;forum-threads
in addition to a further,'solved' one.

The existing open thread has questions asked which you have not yet answered. Please do so.

You will also need to explain there exactly what is going on. You now state you have 10 computers. Is this a business? If so, you will know that AVG Free version is not available for commercial use, only for private users. Please tell us in that other thread what these 10 computers are and what business you are in.

As I said, locked. Please address your replies in the thread here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19703_102-518291.html?tag=threadListing;forum-threads

Mark

Collapse -
possible cure
by justlittlefun / December 1, 2010 11:02 PM PST

I had the same problem yesterday. Today I uninstalled AVG free and the reinstalled it. So far all is okay. jim

Collapse -
Question.
by Meads91 / December 2, 2010 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: possible cure

Yesterday a few friends told me if I had Avg not to update it due to a problem, Now am I supposed to just Not update it, or will it be fixed to a point where I just update it later on ? Not too computer fancy here.

Collapse -
Update logs
by Dusan_AVG / December 2, 2010 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Question.

Hello Meads91,

Please provide us with update log files as described by Ondrej_AVG so we can analyze the situation on your computer further.

Thank you

Collapse -
re possible cure
by justlittlefun / December 6, 2010 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Question.

since I reinstalled avg free 2011, I have had no problem. My problem was only when I tried to update.

Collapse -
definite cure
by offworld / December 8, 2010 10:23 AM PST

I uninstalled AVG, and downloaded a different AV.
Even the AVG uninstall was a pain .... it seems the new AVG doesn't play well with ZoneAlarm, which may be the reason for the update failure.

Collapse -
Re: definite cure
by Ondrej_AVG / December 8, 2010 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: definite cure

Hello offworld,

are you using ZoneAlarm in latest version 9.2.102? Available for download at their website. The previous versions of ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar have known conflict with AVG processes.

For AVG uninstallation you can use AVG remover tool.

Thank you

Collapse -
definite cure
by offworld / December 9, 2010 12:09 PM PST

1. I use ZoneAlarm version 9.2.057

2. I did use the AVG removal tool ... it worked, but screwed up my Network & Volume icons in my taskbar

Collapse -
Re: definite cure
by Ondrej_AVG / December 9, 2010 2:57 PM PST

Hello offworld,

1. You can download latest version 9.0.102 from ZoneAlarm website.

2. We have no reports about similar behavior. It looks like just the notification settings have been changed - see this Microsoft website.

Thank you

Collapse -
No log file
by vince_rome / January 6, 2011 6:54 PM PST

I have the same update problem (General Error) but I could not find the avgupd log files. I have scanned my hard disk without success. I use Windows XP Professional and AVG Free 2011 version 10.0.1170
Thank you for your help.
Vincent

Collapse -
Re: No log file
by Ondrej_AVG / January 6, 2011 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: No log file
Collapse -
Thanks
by vince_rome / January 7, 2011 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: No log file

I have uninstalled the old version and reinstalled the more recent one without problem. The first update after installing succeed correctly. I shall see now whether the regular updates will happen without error.
Thanks a lot for your help.
vincent

Collapse -
Re: Update Failed
by jesszaragoza / January 8, 2011 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Same problem here. I uninstalled my current installation of AVG 2011 and then reinstall with the latest version I've downloaded. But still, update failed.

Other than the update feature, I have trouble loading up my personal website with AVG installed.

My personal website is http://www.kaypee.com

What does AVG scan during web browsing?

Collapse -
RE:
by Dusan_AVG / January 8, 2011 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Update Failed

Hello,

About the website, I did not have any issues loading or browsing your website.
Please try to disable AVG temporarily and check if the issue is resolved.
There may be other software or browser plugins causing issues with loading the site.

About the update general error, please provide us with all needed information including update log file.
Update the log file to some online storage and provide us with a link.

Thank you

Collapse -
Re: Update Failed
by thasiayap / January 16, 2011 2:55 PM PST

I've had the same problem before with my employers website, http://www.windsormarketing.ca
I thought it was AVG that's been blocking the site but it's actually the proxy server that's been blocking sites with .ca at the end.

Try to ask your admin, if you're behind a proxy, if the proxy is blocking you from accessing the website.

Never have problems with AVG 2011.

Collapse -
Also having problems here
by nathanallan / February 21, 2011 12:59 PM PST

I installed 2011 and have not been able to update it since I installed it three days ago. Will this get fixed?

It says General Error, no other information on the notification. Is this still happening? Last post was January 18. Is there a fix out that I don't know about?

Nathan

Collapse -
Re: Also having problems here
by Ondrej_AVG / February 21, 2011 2:39 PM PST

Hi Nathan,

please be informed that mentioned error is global (general) and some granularity to exact (smaller) cases is not provided within this error. To analyse the culprit of failed AVG update we need AVG update logs. Please upload them to favourite online storage and provide us with the link to uploaded file(s).

Thank you

Collapse -
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
by nathanallan / February 21, 2011 9:59 PM PST

The message I got from the History gile was this:

"2/20/2011, 12:25:41 PM";"NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM";"Update";"Update failed."

"2/22/2011, 6:42:25 AM";"NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM";"Update";"Update failed."

Those are the first and second examples. How do I get more detailed information on the error?

Collapse -
Re: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
by Ondrej_AVG / February 21, 2011 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Hello Nathan,

could you please provide us with AVG update logs for closer analysis and resolving of this unpleasant situation?

Thank you

Collapse -
Make sure.....
by seowork1 / February 23, 2011 7:01 PM PST

Hi offworld,

As I think AVG only runs on Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1, make sure you have those updates applied..

Thanks & Regards
Manish

Collapse -
Re: Make sure...
by Ondrej_AVG / February 23, 2011 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: Make sure.....

Hello seowork1,

just to clarify provided information:

AVG8 and AVG9 run on Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1 - FAQ
AVG 2011 does not support Windows 2000 at all - FAQ

Thank you

Collapse -
trying to upload it somewhere
by nathanallan / February 24, 2011 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Make sure...

I have been trying to find a place to upload these two files, so far no luck. Okay, I am on XP Pro, so win2k is not an issue. Also fully updated. I am trying to make this a viewable document on googledocs.

Collapse -
Re: trying to upload it somewhere
by Ondrej_AVG / February 24, 2011 2:57 PM PST

Hello Nathan,

you can use some favorite online storage like rapidshare.com, megaupload.com and similar, to upload requested files. Then just provide us with link to them.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.