Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Update downloads fail

by sumobaba / May 27, 2005 10:08 PM PDT

I have two Sony Vaios. a desktop and a notebook, both just about a year old. The desktop has Windows XP Media Edition, the notebook, Windows XP Home Edition. I cannot get any Windows updates on either computer. The Windows Update page shows all of the critical updates including SP 2 and other Security updates, begins to download, then reports "failed" for each. I am at my wits end because some programs won't run without the updates.

I would appreciate any not-too-technical help you can give me. I am not comfortable going into registry and other system change procedures.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update downloads fail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update downloads fail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
we need more info
by chipmarker / May 28, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Update downloads fail

#1 What is the error message you get that says you cannot install updates?

#2 Is that message the same for both PC?s? If you have shared files between the two machines you may have spread a Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc.. between the two machines.

#3 You say they are both about a year old. Has Windows update ever worked on either machine? If yes when did update stop working and did it happen to both PC?s at or around the same time.

We really need more specifics to help you.

Here is a hint before you post a reply unless you are sure that the answers to the above 3 questions are the same. Run Windows Update on each PC and record the Message ?exactly? the way it reads for both.

Them come back with that and any other info you can think of.

One last thing.. Have you tried to use XP Restore feature?

Good luck.

Collapse -
Further info
by sumobaba / May 30, 2005 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: we need more info

Thank you so much for you repsonse. I will try to answer each of your questions.

This has been happening for about 6 months or more on my notebook and since April 27 this year on my desktop. They all say the same thing - "Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)..........failed". No error number.

I do not have a shared-files network, I keep
my Security software up-to-date each day, and have even tried disabling Norton Security while I try to update Windows. I am at my wit's end at this point.

I did do a restore only on my Notebook, but that was just a couple of days ago. Never had to do it on the desktop, but at this point in time, I can't get back to April.

After I receive the above quoted message, I go to the summary and here's the only thing I get:

Installation Summary

The following updates failed to be installed successfully:

? Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB890175)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
? Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB890923)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
? Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
? Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)
? Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830)
? Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

At this time, there are 40 failed software incidences on my notebook.

Collapse -
Uninstall KB893066
by frog3404 / May 30, 2005 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Further info

Your problem may be security update KB893066. Find it in "add/remove programs" and uninstall it. Some computer forums say you don't need it any way
Are you running Norton Anti-virus 2005 on any of your machines?

Collapse -
Uninstall KB893066
by sumobaba / May 30, 2005 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall KB893066

That is one of the updates that failed to downloaf and install.

I am running Norton Internet Security 2005 on my desktop, and 2004 on my laptop.

Collapse -
Failed update downloads
by frog3404 / June 4, 2005 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall KB893066

Try installing the failed updates in safemode with networking.

Collapse -
Installing in Safe Mode
by cnetbarmcm / August 30, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

How do you go about doing this?
You use f8 key to go into safe mode but how do you install the updates if there not on your PC?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.