Dell forum

Question

Update dell from xp to vista

by yvonne88--2008 / March 8, 2013 5:28 AM PST

I purchased my Dell desktop about four years ago and it came with xp and vista os. I loaded up xp. I'd like to now switch it over to vista so that I can upgrade to newer OSs from Vista.

Can anyone tell me how to do this and also advise as to what will happen to all my settings/docs/other apps. (or link me to instructions)

One more question, My outlook express has been acting weird (not showing messages - just headers) so I'm wondering if the switch over will also reintstall OE and IE. And how to save my emails and favorites.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update dell from xp to vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update dell from xp to vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be sure you have the drivers and software you'll need
by wpgwpg / March 8, 2013 5:51 AM PST

Vista has a significantly different kernel (nitty gritty core part of Windows under the covers), so it requires a good many new drivers. There're also programs that run under XP that don't run any more under Vista, so be sure to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor to find out about those. One I know of for sure is your antivirus software. Another thing is there is no OE in Vista, there's Windows Mail. The good news about Windows Mail is it's pretty much the same as OE, but you may have to save your contacts and emails and reload them, so check on that.
From a hardware point of view you'll want to be sure you have enough RAM. You'd probably want around 3 GB for Vista whereas XP would run pretty well in 1 GB. RAM's cheap, but be prepared to deal with that.
Now I don't know if you're aware of this, but you could upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. I assume you're thinking Vista because you already have it and don't want to spend another $100 or so for Windows 7. There're not that many folks running Vista these days, and it never had a good reputation. I think it's OK these days but you should at least be aware of Windows 7. Certainly if you want a 64 bit version, Windows 7 would be highly preferable.

Good luck.

Collapse -
would rather go directly to windows 7
by yvonne88--2008 / March 8, 2013 7:42 AM PST

I actually want to go directly to windows 7 but I thought I had to get my computer to vista first. Are you saying that I can go directly from XP to windows 7? How would I get my emails from OE to windows mail. And, how can I make sure my Dell will work with windows 7:?

thanks so much for the info

Collapse -
Answer
To call this a switch is well, maybe you are right!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 6:28 AM PST

As you know there is no supported method to upgrade form XP to Vista that I'll write is that good.

Pretend like it's a new install and what's on the HDD now is going away. If the Vista is from Dell, they will have drivers on the other media or at the dell site.
Bob

Collapse -
Go directly to 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 7:49 AM PST

There is no known upgrade path to 7. All the attempts I saw had the owner bald until they installed 7 fresh and clean.
Bob

Collapse -
how much does a fresh install of 7 cost
by yvonne88--2008 / March 8, 2013 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Go directly to 7.

I'm guessing the $100 cost is an upgrade. How much is the fresh install?

Collapse -
See for yourself here
by wpgwpg / March 8, 2013 8:11 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.