TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

upconverting video sources with av receiver

by dirtsurf / October 16, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

If an av receiver does not upconvert video inputs, will it just convert analog sources to digital so that I do not have to change inputs on the tv.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upconverting video sources with av receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upconverting video sources with av receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
upconverting video sources with av receiver
by jcrobso / October 16, 2005 11:07 AM PDT

This depends on which reciver you get. Do you have any in mind?? John

Collapse -
upconverting
by dirtsurf / October 16, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

well I think I figured out that you need to upconvert the composite video input to get it to go thru the component video output. I do not have a particular unit in mind but am trying to figure out the best way to keep from having to switch the video input on my tv and the audio input on my av receiver every time I switch between component and composite video sources. Now I an thinking of getting one of those harmony or logitech remotes that seem to take care of that. Do you think that is best?

Collapse -
upconverting
by jcrobso / October 16, 2005 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: upconverting

Well without knowing what equptiment you have it is hard to say. john

Collapse -
Up converting AV receiver
by Jumper42 / October 17, 2005 2:07 AM PDT

if your tv has an hdmi input a good receiver just came out by JVC that upconverts for you, the rx-d402($450) or rx-d702($800). it is one of the few receivers i have researched that do this and for under a grand. the main difference i see in the receivers is that the 702 provides 150 watts per channel while 402 is out 110. one last thing that i almost forgot, both receivers have 2 hdmi inputs and one output, so you could hook up two hi-def items.

Collapse -
Harmony remote
by masterying01 / October 17, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

if you're the only one using it, i'd recommend getting a reciever that upconverts and running everything into the receiver first (both video and audio). then you'll probably know how to run your reciever and everything else thats needed.

if you have other people using it...especially someone that is scared even to use a computer mouse, then get a harmoney remote and hook it up however you want.

harmoneys are very easy to program, most keys are raised so you can feel it unlike the stupid sony's, and its very easy to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.