TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Upconvert sd to hd

by KonradBerry / November 17, 2007 12:45 PM PST

What does one need to upconvert standard 480i TV signal to 720p, if the signal is coming in on a coaxial cable? The TV would something like say a Samsung HTP4254. Is there a device that I could run the coax in and get great picture out? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upconvert sd to hd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upconvert sd to hd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The will upscall the video to 720p all by it's selfe.
by jcrobso / November 19, 2007 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Upconvert sd to hd

HDTVs have what is called the native resolution. If the HDTV is a 720p sets then all incoming video will be rescaled to 720p. John

Collapse -
I think
by samkh / November 19, 2007 7:44 AM PST

he is asking how to convert SD quality content into HD quality picture. I don't know of any commercial artificial intelligence that can quite do that yet.

Collapse -
Scaling to 720p or 1080i
by Dan Filice / November 19, 2007 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: I think

If the TV has a native resolution of 720p or 1080i, then it will do it's own conversion and scale the standard-def signal to what is native. That's why it typically looks crummy on the TV because it's taking 480i and trying to add content to create 720p or 1080i. If you subscribe to HD programming from either cable or satellite, then the converter box will do the scaling. I have my cable box set to "Pass-Through" to let my TV do the scaling instead.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies
by KonradBerry / November 19, 2007 9:50 AM PST

Thanks for the replies, samkh and jcrobso. Yes, that's what I'm asking samkh. I'm new to this, but I read a review of an Oppo DVD player that everyone seems to say does a credible job of upscaling/upconverting (if those are the right terms). That sounds good, but if that can be done, with sd dvds, it just seems to me that it could be done with a sd cable signal. At least I was hoping that it could be done. I've got the Samsung HPT4254 plasma 720p resolution TV, if that makes any difference. The picture is great from HD source, but it could be better w/ SD source, smooth but a little noisy. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Collapse -
SD to HD
by Dan Filice / April 6, 2010 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the replies

The SD signal on your HDTV is about as good as it will get unless you buy an external signal upconverter that broadcasters use, but this will cost several thousand dollars. This is why we have HD programming available. If SD could look as good as HD, why would we want to pay extra for HD?

Collapse -
Upconvert sd to hd
by jmack3x / April 6, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Mitsubishi's newer DLP TVs do up converting of SD signals to HD but I do not think their is a stand alone device for this but I an sure that someone will pirate Mitsubishi's tech.

Collapse -
Upconvert DVD Players
by techguy866 / April 8, 2010 5:07 AM PDT

Yes there are also DVD players that upconvert. When I worked in the home theater section at Best Buy we used to sell them like crazy. Most Blue Ray players also have their own upconvert capability as well when you play regular DVD's on them. In either case they will require an HDMI cable to do so. Just search for "upconvert dvd players" or don't waste your money on two different units and just buy a Blue Ray Player that does upconverting since they have come down so far in price and you will probably never buy a regular DVD again once you have Blue Ray.

Collapse -
Let the best component in the system do the upconverting.
by minimalist / April 10, 2010 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Upconvert DVD Players

If that's the TV, let it upconvert. If its your Blu-ray player or upconverting DVD player, let it do the job. Experiment to see what looks best.

That said, DVD's upconvert fairly well because the image quality is already pretty good coming into the process. Compression is low, color depth is strong. A standard def 480i signal from satellite, cable or TV is generally compressed to hell and back so there is only so much an upconverter can do. you know the saying: garbage in, garbage out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.