Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unpartitioning a hard drive

by XMastaCrackaX / September 8, 2005 11:40 AM PDT

I have windows Xp home and picked up a small hard drive to use as a slave.
It was partitioned and i want to unpartition it. IF anyone could tell me how to do this please tell me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unpartitioning a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unpartitioning a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
install it
by Mark5019 / September 8, 2005 12:26 PM PDT

then double click on my computer and right click on new h/d and click format

Collapse -
unpartitioning a hard drive
by wilted mist / September 8, 2005 10:54 PM PDT

dont know if you want to put windows on it or not but if you wish to, insert widows disk to install. When it asks you which partion to put windows on you have an option to delete the selected partition.Delete all the partions until the hardrive is RAW. Then format the drive then install windows over the top of the raw partion.(windows will then create one partion from the RAW segment.
Hope this helps
Wilted Mist.

Collapse -
deleting partitions
by raptor96 / September 11, 2005 3:52 PM PDT

There are many ways to delete partitions from a hard drive. Since this will be a slave drive, our job will be made easier because we can stay in Windows. Also, Partition Magic is a recommneded program for adding, modifying, deleting, resizing, renaming, and changing the format and file system of a partition. But what we are going to do is easily done within Windows. I have Windows XP Pro, so I'm assuming that Home edition has the same feature but... You can right click on 'My Computer', then choose manage, and in the window that pops up there is a list of items on the left. Under the storage category, go to disk management. Your computer will stop to think for a few seconds to query the disks installed in the system, and when finished will show all the physical disks and their partitions and drive letters. Here you can remove, resize, add partitions and as well as change drive letters. In this case, you'll want to remove all the partitions on that slave drive individually, then create a new partition, but the new partition size will be the size of the entire disk, thus producing one partition. Hopefully this helps, and like I said, I'm using XP pro, so hopefully xp home has it also. But if worse comes to worse, you can use that great utility called Partition Magic, or use Microsoft FDISK, but it's very cumbersome to use sometimes...

Collapse -
by nickstermon12 / August 26, 2014 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: deleting partitions

If I want to unpartition an empty partition & combine it with one that has a lot of data, will I lose the data in the one with data in it?

Collapse -
Re: partitions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 26, 2014 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: data?

If you do it the right way, with the right program, and nothing goes wrong, you'll lose nothing.
But if you do it the wrong way or use the wrong program or something goes wrong, you'll lose all.

That's why it's recommended to make a good backup before starting.

Collapse -
Your safest bet for doing that
by James Denison / August 26, 2014 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: data?
Collapse -
by JBengeII / September 11, 2005 5:20 PM PDT

On the winxp cdrom ,boot to it and use the repair prompt.After the boot sequence on the winxp cd ( it's a few minutes) instead of installing windows use the repair option.It will ask for your administration password for the windows installation you have.At the prompt after that just type in "diskpart" and it will show the partions you have and delete and create to you hearts desire, except for your 1st or c: partiion.
Then format use "format d: /fs:ntfs"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.