Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Unknown Computer/Monitor Issue - PLEASE HELP

by TommyLangzik / November 1, 2012 8:57 AM PDT
Hi prostars. I have an issue wherein which my monitor randomly morphs or switches into an odd "mode" of sorts. The picture suddenly becomes a super-imposed interlaced version of itself. So imagine stretching the monitor to double the width, then cutting it half, and layering 2 overtop of each other in alternating vertical strips. Additionally, the monitor BEHAVES/FUNCTIONS like the stretched out monitor wrapping around itself, where the mouse pointer can go through the left/right of the screen and come out on the opposite end respectively (like a dual monitor would, but all on the same "interwoven" screen). I haven't found a direct correlation in regard to the timing of this event, but it happens particularly frequently when I get out of "sleep" mode, however it happens increasingly at random intervals as well.

Also, the problem used to be a rarity, but since then the frequency of occurrence has increased to multiple times per day.

Lastly, the image corrects itself after approximately a minute; changing of the display settings and/or nvidia control panel settings does not seem to influence the problem.

It's rather hard to describe, so I've provided images taken with a camera (because screenshots come out looking completely normal), and also included an image to illustrate what I understand to be the case.

PNY nVidia Quadro4000 graphics card
Asus 27-inch VG278H LED 3D monitor
Intel i7 3770k Processor
Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Socket 1155 motherboard
32 GB G-Skill Trident X memory
Seasonic Platinum 1000 Fully Modular 80PLUS Platinum 1000W PSU
Coolermaster Cosmos II case

The only other components I have are a LG Bluray/DVD reader/writer, & 2 crappy old monitors hooked up to an old Radeon card. (but they're all powered off, and not experiencing any problems).

Only the 3D monitor hooked up to the nVidia Quadro card is experiencing this issue.

What am I dealing with?
If anyone could NAME what I'm dealing with and/or provide any possible solutions, I'd be very greatfull.

TommyLangzik has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unknown Computer/Monitor Issue - PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unknown Computer/Monitor Issue - PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TommyLangzik

Collapse -
by TommyLangzik / November 9, 2012 10:59 AM PST

So it turns out that Qaso81 was correct in stating that it was a Hardware issue, and I can only assume that he was also correct in stating that the issue was a cracked data line somewhere within the monitor. His solution was supported by the fact that connecting different sources (like an xbox 360 into the HDMI port, and a laptop into the VGA port) revealed the same signal redrawing distortions, thus isolating the problem to the monitor itself rather than any input device. There is no fix for this issue/defect, you will need to RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) it, which will in end effect provide you with a new monitor.

As far as I can tell, this problem (which in my case was with the ASUS VG27H8) is still covered under the warranty for 3 years, so even though I didn't have an extended warranty and it was outside the 30 day limit for and in-store replacement, I was able to process the RMA manually. Here are the steps for that:

1. Read the Warranty policy HERE to make sure you don't say anything that will somehow accidentally be taken the wrong way and screw you over.
2. Look up the support phone # corresponding to your country (in my case, Canada) here:
if that doesn't work, you can finding it on this website as well!home/mainPage
3. Explain very clearly to the support technician that:
- there is [hopefully] no exterior damage
- that you assumed it to be a driver issue, but neither updates nor rollbacks helped
- that you connected other input devices to monitor and received the same responses
- and that you found the same problem online (provide the url to this thread) containing pictures and a diagnosis that match your findings.

4. The Technician will then send you an e-mail with further instructions.
5. Follow those [packaging, labeling, etc] instructions.*
6. Get your new monitor. Happy

*NOTE: Do yourself a favor, and ONLY pack the monitor without ANYTHING else (ex. the base & screws).
Upon pickup (which was after only 3 days because I was able to drop it off in person to a service center location), I checked the contents to make sure I had all the parts I needed, only find that the screws needed to mount the screen to the base were missing. I was stuck there for almost an hour trying to convince the technicians of the painfully obvious fact that I required 2 screws (not 0, or just 1) to safely mount my monitor. The [apparent] problem was authorization, because for some reason, they were being assured that only 1 screw through the center (where there was no screw hole to work it into) was necessary. AGAIN, literally ONLY PACK the MONITOR; NOTHING else.

I hope this helps someone out in the future & thanks again to everyone who answered my call for help.
Peace. Happy

Collapse -
Only the 3D monitor hooked up to the nVidia Quadro card is e
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

"Only the 3D monitor hooked up to the nVidia Quadro card is experiencing this issue."

OK, now remove the Quadro card and use other cards. Does that help?

Collapse -
Thanks, But Doesn't Resolve the Overall Issue. :)
by TommyLangzik / November 1, 2012 10:46 AM PDT

If I would simply scrap the nvidia card, then I can't use the 3D Monitor (Radeon doesn't support the nVision 3D).
They're all new parts, less than a few months old.

Also, I forgot to mention that I do 3D and Motion Graphics work, so I need both the Quadro card and the 3D Monitor; those are top priority for me. I would be more inclined to kill the Radeon Card & Monitors, but they're not the ones with the problem, and I'd also like to keep them since they help when I've got a lot going on at once.

I updated all the drivers and such without any success. I don't know if this is a software or hardware problem, because when I google it, I come up with absolutely nothing similar. Also, I haven't been able to spot a clear relationship where I could say "Doing A (like turning on a Radeon Monitor) triggers B".

Again, the problem most frequently arises when I get my computer out of "sleep" mode.

Oh, and the OS is
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
(forgot to mention that)

Thanks for the help though, I'll keep a closer eye on what [if any] impact using the other monitors has on the problem. Happy

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 12:30 PM PDT

Many drivers are defective in return from sleep mode. But as many drivers are never fixed the replacement of the card continues to be a fix I use.

Collapse -
Good to know. :)
by TommyLangzik / November 1, 2012 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a good clue.

The problem does not only occur after returning from sleep mode though. Additionally, the most recent driver update for the card was Oct. 2nd 2012 (so pretty recent). Also, this brand new professional grade card is a good $700-$800 at best, so replacing it at this stage to a better model would be rather difficult given my financial stance.

Given the symptoms:
1. Are you confident that it's driver [software] rather than hardware issue? Have you seen this before?
2. In your opinion, would you say there's no alternative fix other than scrapping the/a graphics card?

Thanks again for your valuable input Bob.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Good to know. :)

It's something I've seen before and when the client doesn't want to fix it, we tell them to shut down rather than sleep.

Collapse -
Sleeping Monitor Bug FIX
by TommyLangzik / November 2, 2012 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

I found an apparent fix for the sleeping monitor bug issue. I tried to apply it to my own circumstance, but it didn't do anything. Reverting to clean installations of old drivers that predate the sleep monitor bug did not work.

I have contacted nVidia directly and submitted a bug report (so I'll see what they say). In the meanwhile, I hope perhaps the above link might save a few a cards from being trashed if it works for other scenarios Silly

Thanks again for all the input Bob. Happy
Collapse -
Keep in mind this small bit of trivia.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 5:23 AM PDT

When the machine gets to us we run about 120 a hour to test, diagnose and more. Futzing around with drivers is fine and all but if we spend hours finding a driver when a new card would be cheaper then our clients would be upset.

So new cards are cheap compared to shop time. We used to give away those cards that didn't work all the time after we hit them with red paint so we knew it was mildly defective. It was funny to see them come back in a year or two for service. Now we just send them off to the recyclers. This saves folk from headaches like yours.

Collapse -
I don't know if you can see the final outcome...
by TommyLangzik / November 9, 2012 11:05 AM PST

I posted the full solution above; you were right about me having to replace hardware, but it ended up being the monitor I had to RMA. Happy

I just wanted to let you know in case you ever run into it/see something like it in the future.

Thanks again for all your help.

Collapse -
broken LCD panel
by qaso81 / November 2, 2012 9:29 AM PDT

This looks like a panel crack. unrepairable, and you will need a new display panel.
you can tell by the way the signals are effected. something along the data lines in the panel are cracked.

Collapse -
... Damn.
by TommyLangzik / November 2, 2012 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: broken LCD panel
Shocked That would kinda really totally suck! Cry*facepalm*
How would I verify whether or not it is indeed a cracked data line in the panel (like if I had to prove it to either Asus or the place of purchase)?
Connecting the monitor to various other inputs and see if the problem persists?

I have noticed that the monitor turns off completely if I move it around... but I assumed that it could just be a faulty wire somewhere (however, as far as I know, my movements never correlated to the original issue). Could those perhaps be linked in any way?

Regardless, I'll try connecting the monitor to different inputs and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the feedback qaso81 Happy
Collapse -
by TommyLangzik / November 9, 2012 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: broken LCD panel

So I ended up just running with what you suggested, and posted the final full solution above (which was really just RMA-ing it). I wanted to say thanks again for your helpful reply; I was too afraid to blame the monitor, which your answer/response clearly called me out on.

You've got God Mode status in my books bud; couldn't have done it without you, so thanks again. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.