TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Universal Remote

by jbaxter1208 / March 25, 2007 10:07 AM PDT

Do you need an a/v reciever for a univeral remote, such as the logitech harmony 720, to work?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Universal Remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Universal Remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The goal of the Harmony is to control whatever individual
by NM_Bill / March 25, 2007 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Universal Remote

remote control units you do have. So, for instance you could have an older receiver with no remote control. The Harmony could be doing the job for the TV, DVD player, & whatever - obviously you'd have to get up of the keister/dupa/whatever to change any receiver functions manually.

Collapse -
No, you don't
by ..ben / March 26, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

I have a H/K TC30, which is a repackaged 550 made for Harman Kardon, but has the same color screen as the 720. The Harmony remotes (and thus the TC30) are based on creating "Activities", where each Activity involves some (or all) of your A/V gear. So, for example, when you program it, it'll ask you things like:
- Do you have a receiver? (Yes, I do)
- Do you want the receiver to control the volume for the Activity "Watch TV"? (Yes, I do).

If you only have one piece of equipment for an Activity, then it will simply assign that component's IR codes to the Harmony. For example, if the Watch TV Activity involves only the TV, then the software will make the Harmony behave like the TV's remote; the VOL buttons will control the TV's volume, CH +/- will change channels, etc.

When an Activity involves more than one component, such as Watch A Movie, the Harmony will turn on the appropriate gear, set the TV to the appropriate input, and cherry-pick IR codes to assign to the buttons to control mulitple components, such as the volume on the TV, and the Next/Prev Chapter for the DVD player, etc. It's very smart. I love mine. And if you decide to upgrade your gear down the road, you'll definitely be able to grow into the remote. You can even program it to control your ceiling fan if you want. And, yes, I did program my ceiling fan. Happy

It's very comprehensive, and will take some time to program. I spent about 3 hours, but I have a lot of stuff, and there were some custom buttons I wanted to add, and several unused buttons that I wanted to eliminate from the list. Besides, I got sucked into watching TV as I was "testing" the remote codes. Happy

Anyway, it's a terrific remote! And it works just as well controlling one component as it does controlling several. And once it's programmed, VERY high Spouse Approval Factor. Wink Literally, one button to watch tv, one button to watch a movie, etc. I won't be throwing out my original remotes, but I have moved them into a closet.

I can easily see it being the last remote I buy... maybe ever. And at $150, what a steal!

P.S. You may want to check out the TC30 and the Harmony 550 to see which of the three gives you the best value...

Collapse -
by Riverledge / March 26, 2007 3:34 PM PDT

I AM SURE YOU HAVE ONE FOR EVERY Component. UNIVERSAL remotes are for those who want simplification of their systems. Do you want to spend more money for something you already own, or save a lot of bother for the convenience at a price.

Hell. it's a draw.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.