Computer Help

Resolved Question

Unique Problem

by hokie_man / November 8, 2012 9:03 PM PST

I somehow unwittingly had my homepage changed to AOL and did all that seemed necessary to get rid of them. I did a Google search to attempt to find out some info on the redirect and read various forums, etc. I got my homepage back ok but now when I go to the internet I get my homepage on a tab but what opens is the Google search page where I asked how to get rid of the original AOL redirect. I am using XP and Windows 7, IE8. I just have no clue on why this is happening nor how to make it stop.

hokie_man has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unique Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unique Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by hokie_man

Collapse -
Re: home page
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Unique Problem

And what homepage is defined in Tools>Internet Options>General?

Mine says 'about: blank' and is blank indeed (my favorite - because fastest - homepage). What's yours?

Kees

Collapse -
Home Page
by hokie_man / November 9, 2012 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: home page

I was using FoxNews. I went on and changed it to blank as you suggested and it works. Thanks!

Collapse -
Answer
Homepage
by pgc3 / November 8, 2012 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Unique Problem

And how did you go about attempting to change your homepage? Are you also using a dual boot set up? You said Win XP and Win 7, so that would be an assumption. Does AOL show up in your programs list? A little more information, system, type of security used and a clarification on OS(s) used, might help.

Collapse -
Home Page
by hokie_man / November 9, 2012 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Homepage

Sorry for the confusion - too many PCs in the house. I am using win7 on the PC involved. I've had the same home page forever and when AOL took over, I simply went into Internet Options and changed it back to what I wanted. No, I am not using a dual boot set up - again, sorry for the confusion. Some AOL things did show up in my programs and I deleted them and rebooted but still had the Google search results page open primarily along with another tab for the home page. I am using Norton 360 for security and the PC is a HP Pavilion dv7. Changing it to blank as suggested above did make the Google search.

Collapse -
Confusion
by pgc3 / November 9, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Home Page

Well, it sounds like you are back in business. As was posted, SOME use blank in homepage slot, just a matter of choice and there isn't anything wrong with that, just a matter of choice and as long as it works that is all that counts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.