PC Applications forum

General discussion

uninstalling System Mechanic

by pakhan / February 1, 2009 12:06 PM PST

I'd been using System Mechanic 7 on a Dell Dimension 4600 Windows XP for more than a year and downloading updates up to 7.5 when something happened (installation of conflicting software? I'm not sure) to make the icon in the Windows system tray at bottom disappear, so I can't access SM that way, nor can I get into it by clicking on the desktop icon -- I get error messages such as "Resource HP_TOOLBAR_BACKGROUND_RIGHT not found" and "Access violation at address 134E74C8 in module 'SysMech7.exe" The program continues to work well enough, but I can't get further updates, nor can I get into the program to change any settings. The thing is now like a runaway train that I can't control. The Iolo tech support is not very helpful. Their web help menu advises in its uninstall instructions that first one should close the Popup Blocker, System Guard, System Health, etc. as well as any scheduled maintenance programs by right-clicking their corresponding icons in the Windows system tray before uninstalling it with the Add/Remove Program in the Windows Control panel. Since the SM icon in the system tray has gone missing, I can't of course do those things. My question is, do I risk damaging my operating system if I just go ahead and use Add/Remove anyway? I'm also wary about having to go into the Registry to delete all traces of the program, since I know the danger of doing that if, like me, you're not a tech geek.

I've read some users' reviews of SysMech on cnet and it seems to have a bad rep. After I get rid of it, does anyone have a recommendation for a better utilities program that does the same kinds of functions that SysMech performs, but without its peculiar problems, and also has good responsive tech support?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: uninstalling System Mechanic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: uninstalling System Mechanic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure, bu what I would try.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 8:00 PM PST

I don't use System Mechanic, so I don't know how it installs hidden services and processes in the background, but what I would try is uninstalling in Safe Mode. Here's why;

Safe Mode is where the Windows Operating System is loaded up with only minimum drivers, services and processes. If you have never seen Safe Mode before it is as if only basic video has been installed, the Desktop display is black, and all icons are larger and less defined. This is what it looks like;
http://www.forest.go.th/intranet/SYSCLEAN/images/dissafemode.gif

Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode and is useful for sorting out problems, and in this case, if System Mechanic does not load up in Safe Mode, you can then remove it normally using the Control Panel's Add/Remove programs utility. Then, still in Safe Mode, you can goto MSCONFIG, (Start > Run, type in msconfig, click OK), and under the Startup tab remove any entries for System Mechanic. This stops any broken SM startup links from creating an error message.

Then reboot back into Normal Mode and SM should be removed.

The only problem I see is if SM also loads components when the OS is booted up into Safe Mode. To check that, whilst in Safe Mode, open the Task Manager, (right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager), click the Processes tab, scroll down looking for any SM entries, and end each task you find.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
System Mechanic removal
by Phil Crase / February 4, 2009 1:26 AM PST

Assuming that you did normal removal from list, then deleted(or tried) from program files drive C and did file search and attempted to delete files. The next step would be to see what is in the registry under SYSTEM MECHANIC, it is likely embedded. Start run, regedit, when window appears, edit, then find, type in item name, files appearing, right click delete, then find next, more files appearing, same procedure, right click delete. Be careful to ONLY delete items germane to REGISTRY MECHANIC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.