Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

uninstalling McAfee Personal Firewall Plus

by 1coolcat / April 7, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

I'm trying to uninstall McAfee Personal Firewalll Plus but I get a message that says it cannot be done because it cannot open install.log file. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: uninstalling McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: uninstalling McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

McAfee's support and consider that your post doesn't seem to fit the "Communications & messaging forum" topic.

The Security Forum seems to be more ontopic.

Bob

Collapse -
mcafee
by steve__mcmahon / July 15, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

I've been trying to uninstall this aswell but am getting no where! have you had any luck? End purpose is to get rid of McAfee Security centre

Collapse -
See if this helps...
by glenn30 / July 15, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: mcafee
Collapse -
Addendum...
by glenn30 / July 15, 2005 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: See if this helps...

Am not sure the link furnished took you to the exact place I wanted you to see... so the copy and paste is below:

I Uninstall Personal Firewall/Plus?

Summary: This article provides steps to remove Personal Firewall/Plus from your computer.

Do the following:

1. Perform an automatic uninstall.
2. If step #1 doesn't work, perform a manual uninstall.

Automatic Uninstall of Personal Firewall/Plus

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click Settings. (Skip if using XP)
3. Click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
4. Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then appear.
5. Locate McAfee Personal Firewall Plus in the list of installed programs and double-click on it.
6. The product should begin uninstalling. Follow the prompts that appear on the screen.
Note: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All. If Personal Firewall Plus is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that the product was not completely removed, follow the steps below to manually remove the program.

If Personal Firewall Plus is the only McAfee service installed on your computer, uninstall SecurityCenter. If an automatic uninstall was unsuccessful, please follow the instructions below to completely uninstall the product.

Manual Uninstall of Personal Firewall/Plus
I. Boot into Safe Mode

1. Shut down the computer (turn it off).
2. Wait 20 seconds.
3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F8 key on the keyboard, once every second.
Note: If you get a keyboard error, press the F1 key and continue pressing the F8 key once every second.
4. The Windows Startup Menu appears or Advanced Options Menu. Select option (Safe Mode).
5. Press the Enter key.
Note: This may take longer than a normal boot.
6. A dialog box confirms that Windows is in Safe Mode. Click OK.

II. Delete the Personal Firewall folders

1. From the Taskbar, click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type Explorer
4. Click OK.
5. Double click My Computer.
6. Double click C: drive.
7. Delete the MC?????.tmp folder(s), if present.
Note: ? = these could be numbers or letters.
8. From the C: drive, double click Program Files.
9. Double click McAfee.
10. If present, delete the Personal Firewall folder and MPF folder.

III. Perform a search on your C: drive for a file named STATUS.MPF and delete any instance found.

This file will most likely be found in C:Windows\System or C:\Windows\System32, depending upon your operating system.
IV. Backup the registry

1. From the Taskbar, click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type regedit and click OK.
4. The Registry Editor appears. From the menubar, click Registry.
Note: If using Windows XP, click File
5. Click Export.
6. The Export Registry File dialog box appears. In the 'Save in' drop-down menu, select Desktop.
7. In the 'File Name' field, type backup.
8. In the 'Export range' section, select All.
9. Click Save.

Note: To restore the registry, double click on the backup file you just created and follow the prompts. After completing all of these steps and verifying that everything is working properly, delete this file to avoid restoring the old registry.

V. Delete the registry keys

1. Click the (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2. Click the (+) next to SOFTWARE
3. Click the (+) next to McAfee.com
4. Delete any instance of a Personal Firewall folder or MPF folder
5. Click on the (+) next to Microsoft
6. Click on the (+) next to Windows
7. Click on the (+) next to Current Version
8. Click on the Run folder to highlight it
9. On the right side delete the MPFExe file
10. Back on the left side click on the (+) next to Uninstall
11. Scroll down and delete the Mcafee.com Personal FireWall Plus folder
12. Highlight My Computer at the top and then click on Edit
13. Then click on Find and search for MpFireWall.sys and delete all references
Note: You need to tap F3 after each file that you delete for the FireWall to run the search again until it says, 'Finished searching through the registry'.
14. Close the Registry Editor.

VI. Run a search on the C: drive for MpFireWall.sys as well and delete all references, if any.
VII. Remove ActiveX components

1. Double-click My Computer
2. Double-click the C: drive icon
3. Double-click the Windows folder. (Note: This folder name may be WINNT for users with Windows 2000 or XP upgraded from 2000)
4. Double-click the Downloaded Program Files folder
5. Delete any McAfee ActiveX components (examples: McAfee.com Operating System class, McAfee Installer class, McAfee TYP class, McAfee Tree class.)

Note: Browse the folder and if you see a component that you are unsure of what program it belongs to, like long random names with numbers and letters, double click on it and look under the code base. If it's from Download.McAfee.com, then delete it.
VIII. Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer

Last Modified: 8/13/2004
Modified by: ro-tst3svl

Collapse -
doesn't work
by aunty_em / May 14, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...

i realize this posting is several years old. i have vista and am having the same problem. i've searched all the file names above and gone through the registry. it still shows up as running in the security center. any ideas? i ran MCPR.EXE and it's still there. it must have been put on with something i installed. i didn't put it on intentionally.

Collapse -
I wouldn't have tried ANY of that on Vista.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: doesn't work

Vista is quite different from earlier Windows machines.

Why not create your own discussion and tell us more about the problem and the details.

Mark

Collapse -
same issue
by aunty_em / May 15, 2011 2:24 AM PDT

because it is the same error code. this is why i don't like to post on forums. people like to just type. if you don't have a solution or a suggestion...don't type.

Collapse -
No need to type I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

The above included the manual removal instructions. If those fail we are left with old school hunt and delete.

As the old school method can't be written as a step by step, we can't type it out.

Hope this clears it up for you. If not, why isn't this taken directly to McAfee?
Bob

Collapse -
My apologies
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

but the reason I said that was because Vista is quite different from XP. The instructions above include modifying the registry. I would never make changes to the registry of one OS based on guidance for another OS. We see, all too often, cries for help in these forums where users have attempted to change things in the registry and have ended up killing their OS stone dead.

You said the same error, but if we knew more, including any other issues you are having or have had, then there may indeed be other possibilities.

However since you didn't appreciate my advice to create your own discussion I wish you luck in your search for help.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.