Computer Help forum

General discussion

uninstalling Logitech Desktop manager

by sabina_2004 / November 14, 2004 2:24 PM PST

I just installed SP2, hurrah hurrah. Before I am going to sleep I need to know please, if I can uninstall Logitech Desktop manager? From what the reports say in Cnet, it probably shouldn't be on my computer and now with the new security on it, it told me that it was withholding certain parts of the program.
What are the actual functions of the Logitech Desk Manager? Do I need it?
If you could pls. let me know.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: uninstalling Logitech Desktop manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: uninstalling Logitech Desktop manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: uninstalling Logitech Desktop manager
by TONI H / November 14, 2004 6:23 PM PST

The Desktop Manager is another program used to auto-update via the net any Logitech programs/devices you have installed on the computer. You can manually go to the Logitech site and download any updates you might need rather than let it auto-update, but you will have to remember to do this yourself rather than depend on the program to do it for you. It works the same way as the auto-update program that MS uses to update your Windows, but even MS's program can be disabled (however, with MS, you can't even get the update center to work until you enable it again).

If you want to uninstall Logitech's you can do so through the Add/Remove Program List...but if SP2 has disabled any part of it, it might not find everything it needs to uninstall itself. If that happens, you can use this program from MS to uninstall anything in the Add/Remove Programs List.;en-us;290301

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from the above link and it will remove installed programs that can't be uninstalled from the Add-Remove Programs List because you don't have the cd anymore or because the program itself can't locate its uninstall file info.

There is one version of this utility available for individual windows versions from W95, W98, ME, NT 4.0, 2K, XP, and Server 2003. Direct download can be reached at this link:

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 12:30 AM PST

Thank you so much Toni, for your solution. I just have one more question: would you advise to uninstall it? Is it true that Logitech DM sort of acts like adware and passes information on to third parties including possible keylogging? What are the functions of it actually? I couldn't find the answer anywhere and I wondered if I am actually using it?

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 15, 2004 12:49 AM PST

If there is any suspected spyware going on with it or a tracking program installed with it, AdAware or SpyBot (both free programs) should be able to pick that up once you run the program and you will have the option of using either of those programs to uninstall/remove it for you. If it appears that there ARE spyware or tracking programs with it, I would uninstall it, and just use a manual URL connection on your own to Logitech to download any newer drivers you might need or software updates for Logitech programs/devices. Save to your harddrive, burn to a cd, and install manually....

Collapse -
by kmiranda4158 / February 8, 2010 8:01 AM PST

I have been trying for months to get the Logitech Desktop manager off of my computer and with your help I finally have:) Thank you!

Collapse -
Logitech Desktop Manager
by lovemyyorkie / October 29, 2011 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU!!!!

Can you please let me know how you finally got Logitech Desktop Manager off of your computer. I went to install/uninstall programs and it is gone from the list but every siingle time I open my computer, that idiotic box comes up and I just can't get rid of it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Win7 & LDM
by susanfz / October 4, 2010 11:35 AM PDT

I am using Win7 and get a message that LDM is incompatible. When I try to use add/remove, I get an error message. Looking at the link above for the MS program to uninstall, it seems only to apply to Office, not all programs. Is this correct, or does it work for all programs? All of the links seem to apply to particular Office versions, and I can't find a general download link, only "fix me" for the versions.

Collapse -
(NT) It Works For All Programs..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Win7 & LDM
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) uninstall logitech harmony remote from desktop
by billengland / September 16, 2006 3:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Received from Logitech
by fludlite / February 26, 2008 11:36 AM PST

I received this email from Logitech after noticing 1 gigabyte of data transferred over 2 hours with only the Logitech Desktop Manager running.
When it was removed,normal packet sends/receives were restored.

from Logitech:
Hello Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail and your support for Logitech products. I am Chew and I will be assisting you with your enquiries and problems regarding case ID 080223-000999

I understand you are experiencing significant data transfer from/to your system related to our software. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

Chances are, it is actually Logitech Desktop Messenger that is causing this transfer of data. If this is causing you trouble, it is recommended to uninstall it (via Add/Remove programs) as it is not vital for the usage of any Logitech products.

For a more detailed description of what LDM actually does, please refer to the link provided below:,en

Never mind the link it serves no purpose.

Collapse -
uninstalling logitech desktop manager
by kb7soi / January 16, 2010 4:51 PM PST

I experimented and it turned out the basic method worked. I deleted the logitech desktop manager folder, then ran norton's registry cleanup and microsoft advisor program had no problem after that and the advisor within the installation program no longer found a problem with it. Am installing windows 7 now. If it doesn't work, I'll have to come back here and let you know.

Collapse -
not necessary
by Wizard-HK / January 16, 2010 9:28 PM PST

i think it's not necessary to use the manager...I'm using the the logitech keyboard set and not using the manager...

Collapse -
Logitech desktop Manager
by P.Kuscher / April 4, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

I have tried for Days to uninstore Logitech Desktop Manager the normel way.No luck.Can you help. Please

Collapse -
by searcher1prw / September 24, 2011 4:08 PM PDT

I discoivered the following for uninstalling LDM, go to the Logitech website, type (Uninstalling desktop) in the search box and click. Then scroll down to LDMRemover (recommended) and click on Download Remover and follow instructions. It took me all of 2 minutes and it was done!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.