Windows Legacy OS

Question

Uninstalling 7 - Zip

by clark269 / June 20, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

I uninstalled 7 - Zip from my computer which uses XP (service pack 3) as it's operating system. After that I seem to have lost some vital information. The symptoms include, but are not limited to: Many of my Desktop Icons are not responding. System Recovery is not responding. The Quick Launch on my taskbar will not stay activated after a re-boot.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstalling 7 - Zip
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstalling 7 - Zip
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
7-Zip?
by mchainmchain / June 20, 2012 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstalling 7 - Zip

Try re-installing it and see what happens.

WinRAR is known to make significant changes to a system when installed, so removing (uninstalling) that can result in some problems like above.

System Recovery is either System Restore or the manufacturer image placed on your hard drive to restore your system to factory settings and programs your computer came with when new. Which one is it? Is it the latter?

Collapse -
Uninstalling 7 - Zip
by clark269 / June 20, 2012 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: 7-Zip?

I miss typed. It is System Restore.

Collapse -
Uninstalling 7 - Zip
by clark269 / June 20, 2012 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: 7-Zip?

I did try re-installing. No luck. Thanks though.

Collapse -
uninstalling 7-zip
by mrusmarshal / December 15, 2012 11:21 AM PST

here is what i done to get rid of it works great i have windows xp service pk3
couldn't access any of my desktop short cuts nor run MSCONFIG.
1-go to start menu click run type CMD that will open your command prompt
2-copy and past this in the window first incert your win xp cd in
C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
3-copy and past this in the cmd window
EXPAND -R D:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES

that should fix it you can run your system restore from there also your msconfig

if you have another pc with XP you can copy and paste the binaries folder to pchealth folder that will fix it or download it from this page with all the instructions
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-find-msconfig-error-at-run-command/

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Computer not working properly after uninstallilng '7-zip'
by Dell_Vikas_S / June 20, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

Hi clark269,

In reply to - Uninstalling 7 - Zip

My name is Vikas and I am from Dell Social Media Team.

I went through your issue. You may try the steps below to fix this issue.

I believe '7-zip' is recently uninstalled from the computer, if so then we can do a system restore (reverting computer to a previous date where it was working properly).

Performing system restore will ensure that the computer will get back to a date when it was running without any issue.

Below are the steps to do system restore:

1. We need to Go to Start, select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and then click System Restore.

2. In the System Restore wizard, select Restore my computer to an earlier time, then click Next.

3. In the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you would like to restore to, and then click Next.

4. In the Confirm Restore Point Selection window. Make sure that the Restore Point stated, there is the one you would like to revert to. Read the instructions and then click Next.

After the stability of the system is reviewed, it is possible to select another restore point or undo this restoration. Open the System Restore and make the appropriate choice. After System Restore is used, there is an additional task, Undo my last restoration in the System Restore Welcome page.

Note: Remember that any programs, that were installed will have to be reinstalled after the restore point / date.

Below are the step by step instruction to initiate system restore.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=116820&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Regards
Dell_Vikas_S
Dell Social Media and Community

Collapse -
Computer not working properly after uninstallilng '7-zip'
by beve74 / July 19, 2012 11:15 AM PDT

I too uninstalled 7 - Zip from my computer which uses XP (service pack 3) as it's operating system. Same symptoms as clark269 described. I went to System Restore as suggested by Dell_Vikas_S, and there were no checkpoints there (I had never looked at it before).
What now? Are there some manual steps to remove the damage from uninstalling 7-Zip?

Collapse -
Uninstalled 7-zip and have hard drive crash
by PaulaLPope / August 14, 2013 4:52 AM PDT

I installed the 7-zip file to get a photoshop program, which never actually loaded to my PC. I went to uninstall it via control panel and computer froze up. I shut down the computer via power button and turned back on. It goes to the screen to put in password. Once password has been typed in and Enter, it freezes there. No way to access Start or anything else on my PC. Help!

Collapse -
This thread is more than 419 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

Try System Restore (link to follow) but it's time to make a new post.

Don't forget to include machine details as well as if you have your XP CDs handy.
Bob

Collapse -
XP Restore Safe Mode and other modes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 5:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Uninstalling 7-Zip safely
by mag200 / April 24, 2013 12:57 PM PDT

This method worked for me on an XP operating system after attempting to uninstall 7-Zip and losing register mappings so that the only icons that still worked were My Computer and My Documents. I restored XP by opening My Computer, opening the Windows folder in my C: drive, then opening the system32 folder, followed by opening the Restore folder and double-clicking on the "rstrui" application file that starts the System Restore screens. If you wish to avoid any more work (provided you were able to Restore the system and it is working properly), skip to the aecond to last last paragraph for a quick and simple way to remove 7-zip as your default compression software without having to uninstall it. If you are disgusted with the "trial" version of 7-zip that refuses to be uninstalled safely, read on.

Once I restored the system, I used the "regedit" command from the Run screen in the Start Menu to bring up the register edit screen, then used the Find command to locate each instance where "7-zip" appears in the register and deleted each insatnce, whether a file, a path or a folder. Once all instances of 7-zip were deleted, I exported the register using the "export" command available from the "File" pulldown menu in the register screen. Closed the register screen then uninstalled 7-Zip by right clicking on the 7-zip icon on the desktop, selecting "Locate target file" and double-clicking the "uninstall" icon in the menu. Then opened the register again using regedit, and imported the register that had all 7-zip instances deleted. I got an error message indicating the import could not be accomplished, but tried importing once more, same error message. Decided to reboot the machine anyways and checked desktop item functions. They all worked properly and 7-zip was unintsalled successfully.

The final step was to bring up the Accessories->System Tools-> Command prompt and typed in the line "assoc .zip=CompressedFolder" command (without the quotes) to set the native Windows compression software as the default software to open .zip files and to allow choosing the Windows software to compress files.

This method worked on my PC, and may or may not work on other PCs running XP. If you can reach a Restore point, you do not necessarily need to uninstall 7-zip, you should be able to just enter the command line to make Windows your default decompression software. This should allow you to compress and decompress files with Windows software by choosing which software you wish to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.