Linux forum

General discussion

Uninstall Win XP and install Ubuntu (latest version)

by CmL335 / January 7, 2011 9:06 AM PST

I want to do this on my netbook and just need a quick few steps on how to fully uninstall windows XP. I have looked for information on how to do this before but could never find the correct place to enter the command in so if anyone can help that would be great.
Regards , Chris

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstall Win XP and install Ubuntu (latest version)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstall Win XP and install Ubuntu (latest version)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, I don't think uninstall xp is necessary.
by ahtoi / January 7, 2011 11:19 AM PST

You just let Ubuntu takes over the whole drive or did you have something else in mind?

Collapse -
just start gparted and format ntfs partition
by GODhack / January 7, 2011 3:44 PM PST

Just start gparted and format ntfs partition to ext4.
windos will be removed, but link to it still remain in boot menu.
To clean boot menu from now useless links you need to input:
update-grub
command.

Collapse -
??
by CmL335 / January 8, 2011 1:39 AM PST

@GODHACK i have literally no idea what you just said ..

Collapse -
hmm so..
by GODhack / January 8, 2011 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: ??

Lets begin from start: you already have Ubuntu installed near XP or just XP?

Collapse -
Yeah?!?!?!?
by SuperGeek81 / January 19, 2011 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: ??

Yeah i can see this going well...

Collapse -
Uninstall XP
by pgc3 / January 7, 2011 11:43 PM PST

Is there a reason you want to uninstall XP? Most use Linux/Ubuntu as dual boot, unless there is drivespace or system OS issue. If you want to maintain Xp just do the WUBI installer for windows and away you go.

Collapse -
@pgc3
by CmL335 / January 8, 2011 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall XP

yes i just want ubuntu on my netbook because it is an acer aspire one from 2007 that runs win xp very slow and i have a feeling if i delete xp and just use ubuntu everything will be a lot faster.

Collapse -
Getting rid of XP for Clean Install
by chamaecyparis / January 8, 2011 8:06 AM PST

CmL335 said,
"yes i just want ubuntu on my netbook because it is an acer aspire one from 2007 that runs win xp very slow and i have a feeling if i delete xp and just use ubuntu everything will be a lot faster."

I take it you wish to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Remix)? This is recommended.

Very well. Begin by downloading an early version (1.3.5) of SystemRescueCD at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/1.3.5/)

Next, get UNetbootin from the same source (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). Then make a bootable small USB Flash Drive using UNetbootin and the sysresccd-x86-1.3.5 ISO file, both just downloaded.

Set your system BIOS to boot to USB first, then boot to your new System Rescue CD USB stick.

After it boots, SysRescCD want you to hit defaults (hit Enter) a couple times. When you end up at the multi-colored prompt on the page asking user to enter either "startx" or "wizard," type in the following command

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

which will destroy all trace of any Windows File System, wiping your entire hard drive with zeros. It will take a while, depending on the size of your hard drive, so go make a sandwich or something. When it's done, you'll see some statistics after a statement that there is no "more space on drive" and the size of your had drive.

Don't bail out yet!

At the same prompt, type in the desired startx and Enter
This brings up the XFCE mouse then a yellow-colored terminal.
In the yellow-colored terminal, type the command gparted .

Partition your hard drive. If you don't know how, use the Slackware basic strategy of one partition for root ( / ) -- 10GB (to copy DVDs use 15GB), using ext4 file system;
one partition for swap -- one gig should do; and
one partition for /home -- most or all of the remainder (keep some unallocated should you desire to expand one or add a partition later).

NOTE: when, in the OS install, partition dialog pops up, choose Manual and then either Edit or Modify for each partition created previously with gparted, telling it to yes, use the partition, format it using ext4 file system for / and /home; swap should be okay. [So, write down how you partition, noting /dev/sda1 or sda2 or sda3, size, label (if any), and file system (ext4)] -- it's easy.

When done partitioning, suply enter the command init 6 and reboot follows.

Collapse -
It Worked
by CmL335 / January 8, 2011 10:33 AM PST

Thanks for the help! Great instructions.

Collapse -
Good!
by chamaecyparis / January 9, 2011 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: It Worked

You're welcome! Pass it on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.