General discussion

Uninstall TechTracker on a Machintosh

by Ola H SE / September 30, 2009 7:01 AM PDT

Uninstall TechTracker on a Machintosh.

How?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uninstall TechTracker on a Machintosh
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uninstall TechTracker on a Machintosh
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstall TechTracker on a Macintosh
by Tucker Green / October 5, 2009 10:27 AM PDT

Sorry to hear you'd like to uninstall TechTracker app from your Mac. Go to your Applications folder and open the CNET TechTracker folder, then the CNET TechTracker Uninstaller folder. I'd recommend you read the readme.rtf file prior to doing the uninstall. Then click Uninstall.

Collapse -
Unsuccessful using Uninstall
by abc8xyz / November 30, 2009 7:02 AM PST

As previously suggested... selected the change 'computer link' which was successful.

Then attempted to run the CNET TechTracker uninstall.app AND got the message "You can't open the application uninstall.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."

Also, attempted to remove CNET TechTracker from the System Preferences Pane AND got the message 'The TechTracker preference pane could not be removed because an error occurred.'

Collapse -
Unsuccessful using Uninstall
by arnekolstad / December 2, 2009 3:30 AM PST

Did you find a way to remove the preference pane and other traces of the program?

Arne Kolstad

Collapse -
CNET Tech Tracker not removable from System Preferences
by abc8xyz / December 2, 2009 3:47 AM PST

Arne - I have limited computer 'abilities' so as of 12/02/09, I have not uncovered/discovered a way to remove the CNET TechTracker from the System Preferences.

BUT If there is someone out there that has that knowledge please post a response.

Collapse -
Uninstalling CNET TechTracker from your Mac
by CNET_TechTracker / December 10, 2009 9:50 AM PST

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you've been unable to install the CNET TechTracker app! Under normal circumstances, the uninstaller which comes packaged with your downloaded file should remove all pieces of CNET TechTracker, including and especially the preference pane.

I recommend downloading the CNET TechTracker app .dmg again, and seeing if a fresh copy of the Uninstaller will do the trick. This should be all you need!

We will have someone from our support team check in with you to see if you require further assistance. Expect us to be in touch within a day.

Regards,
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Uninstalled and then Reinstalled...
by abc8xyz / December 10, 2009 11:50 PM PST

As suggested by CNET TechTracker.

Another copy of CNET Tech Tracker was downloaded and installed. However, again, the uninstall.app could not be opened because it is either damaged or incomplete.

Any other suggestions CNET TechTracker?

Collapse -
re. Uninstaller
by CNET_TechTracker / December 11, 2009 3:01 AM PST

Hi abc8xyz,

We are looking into this -- could you please tell me which version of OS X you are using?

Collapse -
Response to CNET TechTracker
by abc8xyz / December 11, 2009 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: re. Uninstaller

Lastest version... 10.6.2

Collapse -
Uninstaller
by CNET_TechTracker / December 11, 2009 3:39 AM PST

Thank you -- we are creating a support ticket in our system so we may send you another copy of the Uninstaller to try. Further instructions will be found within that ticket - an e-mail will be sent to your CNET account's e-mail address. You can reply directly to that e-mail to respond to your ticket.

Collapse -
Uninstall
by jeremywright / December 19, 2009 11:14 AM PST

OS is windows xp home the add/remove function does not uninstall version 1.30 (Build 52)
Please advise how I uninstall this programe
Rgds jeremywright
jeremywright@clear.net.nz

Collapse -
Uninstalling CNET TechTracker
by CNET_TechTracker / January 5, 2010 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall

Jeremy:

If CNET TechTracker is not showing up in Add/Remove Programs, or the "Remove" button is not present there, then there may be other issues here.

CNET TechTracker Support will open a support ticket on your behalf in the next 24 hours, so that we can help you through this.

For the Mac users who are reading:

The Mac uninstall issue uncovered by previous posts in this thread has been fixed as of our most recent version of CNET TechTracker for Mac (released in mid/late December). If you are still having trouble uninstalling CNET TechTracker on your Mac, please try this version. If your problems continue, visit http://cnet.custhelp.com and open a support ticket for faster assistance.

Collapse -
No Uninstaller
by petejohnson / December 29, 2011 2:36 PM PST

CNET TechTracker Support,

Collapse -
Gleaning TechTracker from your system
by petejohnson / December 30, 2011 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: No Uninstaller

OK, so my method is a little killer, but it does the job:

Collapse -
Uninstalling CNET TechTracker from your Mac
by Stephen161 / March 30, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

I was not able to find the uninstall folder so I reinstalled version 2. Still no uninstall folder. Tried to remove TT using AppCleaner. TT still appears in System Preferences. Tried to remove it manually according to a 2009 post. Still not successful. Very disappointing. Shame on you CNET for making this so difficult.

Anyone have any other ideas. I'm running OS X Lion (10.7.3) on a MacBook Pro.

Collapse -
How to remove TechTracker from System Preferences.

First, download an app uninstaller for your Mac. I use AppTrap a lot, and I like it, but that didn't find the system preference for TechTracker. Then, I installed AppDelete (the one that is $7.99 to buy, not the $5 one). Just simply drag the icon of TechTracker (from a Finder Window) and it will show the TechTracker folder (the one in your Application folder) and TechTracker. Because the system preference is NOT in either one of those files, you have to click on the top "Others." Scroll past the widgets, and there should be your preferences (before your plug-ins). Find the one with TechTracker in the name and select it. Click "Search" on the bottom and then "Delete." Then, check System Preferences and make sure it's not there.

Note: I tried the uninstaller bundled with TechTracker, it didn't work. Even when I re-downloaded it, it still didn't work.

Collapse -
Edit: One more TT file and some secondary click preferences.

Ok, I told you to download AppDelete, but (I don't know which one did this) but it left a secondary click choice that says, "AppDelete." I obviously, didn't want it after I uninstalled AppDelete. I (this isn't neccessary) downloaded another program: CleanMyMac. It's the free version. I just ran it from the disk image and did a scan. The scan took a couple minutes (only about 2 or 3). I then went through the logs, caches, language files, and universal binaries. BUT, the secondary click AppDelete preference is not in any of those sections. If you think it's ok, you can clean those, though. Also, in order to not have to buy the product, you can just right click the file and select "Reveal in Finder." Then you can just put it in the trash from there. Now to the important part: Getting rid of that annoying thing on your secondary click. It is in: Macintosh HD/System/Library/Services/ There should be a file with the name AppDelete. (Actually there are 2 files you need to delete.) While trying to fix this issue, I noticed a TechTracker file, too. It might be in: User/Library/Preferences. That is where both the the TechTracker file is (it's a .pref file), with another AppDelete file. The AppDelete files are both Workflows, just so you know. Last but not least, check your logs for any unwanted logs. If the TechTracker fie was not in Preferences, go to Log (User/Library/Logs/). Logs are in: User/Library/Logs/, and in: Macintosh HD/Library/Logs (I don't think you should touch the ones in here).

Collapse -
Why can't cnet provide proper instructions?
by WendyDS / May 7, 2011 2:27 AM PDT

All the instructions I've found to uninstall tech tracker have no resemblance to what is seen on the computer. I simply dragged the application from the apps folder to the trash. A lovely little message came up asking if I'd like to remove affiliated files. I said yes. It did. I secure-emptied the trash. The lovely little message also said that I should go to the CNET TechTracker page and remove my computer from their system....there appears to be no way to do this. The promises made for this software do not come through, and it slows down the computer to the point where I can click a key, go get a cup of coffee, and then check to see if the computer has registered whether or not I have clicked that key. It makes working on the computer ridiculously slow. Now, the uninstall is not working. I had previously thought CNET was terrific. I now think they are a waste of my time. So sorry to lose them.

Collapse -
uninstal tech tracker
by miguelangelescudero / February 3, 2010 4:40 AM PST

i do not need tech tracker, i want to unisntall

Collapse -
AppCleaner
by NikonMike / March 27, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: uninstal tech tracker

Free AppCleaner did the trick for me (uninstall of TT 2.0.2). Detected related files (preference panes) and trashed all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.