Windows Vista

General discussion

Unidentified network

by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 1:42 AM PDT

Very randomly, my sony laptop stopped connecting to my home network. I'm running Windows Vista Business 32-bit edition SP1.

It says that I am connected to my local network but not to the internet and comes up saying "(Unidentified network)". I looked at the IP thinking that it might be the problem so changed it to a static IP as opposed to a dynamic one. This obviously didnt work.

I have the latest frimware on my router and have reset it in an attempt to get my laptop to reconect but this again falied.

If i leave the IP as automatic it gives me 169.x.x.x which i understand is a private IP. My router runs on 192.168.x.x.

Also on automatic, the IPv6 is very odd and gives very weird codes.

I have tried the DHCP broadcast flag fix, but it didnt work due to not being able to find my network adaptors guid.

Any idea of how to restore my connection?

Thanks in advance
Andrew Fewkes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unidentified network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unidentified network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System restore to when it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2008 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Unidentified network

"DHCP broadcast flag fix" is applied to ALL guids. But I would duplicate web pages if I told why.

I doubt that's it. The most common reason I find is outright hardware failures, expired or soon to expire Norton (why they wipe the owner connectivity out is likely so they learn how good they can shake down the owners?) Sorry I couldn't resist another swipe at Symantec.

Other issues can be hidden SSID (router settings), not secured with WPA or the router needs a boot.
Bob

Collapse -
by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 2:00 AM PDT

1)As far as I'm aware, all my hardware is 100% working
2) already tried system resotre, didnt actually do anything at all
3)Another laptop with vista on is able to connect to this network
4)Although i have just under a year left on my norton, so plenty of time left, i'm going to try uninstall and reinstall to see what happens. I do tend to have a lot of problems with Norton :/

Thanks
Andrew

Collapse -
Stupid Norton
by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Removing norton did not solve my problem so this means ive got to reinstall it and do all the updates again. Fun fun fun

Collapse -
Just A Thought..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 6, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

I know you said you reset the router but please try it like this, in the order I've given below.:

First, turn OFF your computer. Next, turn OFF your router. (Use the On/Off button or disconnect from power if necessary.) Next, turn OFF your broadband modem, if it's separate from the router. (Same thing.. use the On/Off button, etc.) Wait 15 minutes.. Next, turn ON the modem.. Wait 3-5 minutes to let it fully initialize.. Next, turn ON the router.. Wait 3- 5 minutes. Turn ON the computer..

If this still doesn't fix the issue, please access the router and/or modem settings and verify that the router, or modem, or both are indeed receiving an IP address.. You may need to try reconnecting to the ISP servers by using the WAN Connect option in your modem/router settings.

By the way, are you using a cable or DSL connection and are the modem and router separate units?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Modem/Router
by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Just A Thought..

Failed, this didn't solve the problem.

I am using DSL so therefore I do have separate modem and router. My router is a Linksys WRT54Gs

Collapse -
IPv6
by Jimmy Greystone / August 6, 2008 3:06 AM PDT

IPv6 uses a completely different addressing system from IPv4 (which is what the majority of us still use), so you won't see a numbered system like IPv4, but rather a system that looks a lot more like a MAC Address for a network card. I don't know that there are all that many (or any really) IPv6 enabled routers, so there's really little point to having that enabled in Vista.

I don't recall seeing this suggested or stated it was tried, but have you tried rebooting the router? Even if it doesn't work, it only takes maybe 30 seconds to try.

Also, you're probably better off without Norton. They've been having some rather serious quality control issues for several years now, and security suites aren't really as secure as individual security programs. Topple one security suite program, and the rest are likely to fall with ease. Just don't replace it with anything made by McAfee and you should probably be good.

Collapse -
- - -
by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: IPv6

Sorry that I haven't made it clear, I have tried rebooting my router, but this didn't work.

How do I fully disable IPv6?

I still find Norton 360 abetter all around package.

Collapse -
Solution :/
by fewkesy007 / August 6, 2008 8:06 AM PDT

I've found 2 solutions
They're a bit drastic.

1)Buy a new laptop/mac(cause theyre better and they dont fail all the time)

2)Reinstall vista - All my data and programs are on separate partitions

There doesnt seem to be any other way

Collapse -
DSL Modem in Bridging mode?
by beautifuly_chaotic / February 11, 2009 5:24 AM PST

ive run across this several times with clients using DSL. By default the dsl modem is not in bridging mode. Once i worked with the ISP (typically verizon) to have them change that and then changed the router (usually a linksys) to use ppoe connection connection becomes solid and reliable.

Sometimes the simple solution is actually the least obvious.

mike

Collapse -
This is how I fixed one for a customer
by wtimber / January 26, 2010 2:16 AM PST

I will spare you by not telling you all the things I tried that did not work.

This is what DID fix the problem...

Right click on the icon for "Command Prompt"

Select "Run as Administrator"

Type the following commands

route DELETE 0.0.0.0

ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew

exit

Timber Wolf
BOS2600
DC401

Collapse -
unidentified network
by eric19921 / April 8, 2010 10:15 AM PDT

I tried your described process to eliminate the "unidentified newtwork" and I got the following message:

"An error occurred while renewing interface wireless connection:
Unable to contact your DHCP server.
Request timed out. No operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected."

Any suggestions,
Eric

Collapse -
unidentified network - Media Disconnected
by wtimber / April 9, 2010 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: unidentified network

The error is telling you there is no connection to facilitate the dhcp connection in the first place. You will want to check the physical wireless switch or digital button on the laptop is enabled, make sure you can see the wireless network you are trying to connect to and attempt to connect. You might consider right clicking on and disableing network cards you are not trying to troubleshoot so they don't throw a dhcp error. i Would only enable the card showing up as an unidentified network.

Collapse -
Unidentified Network Internet connect Windows 7 Resolved
by Applnokr / April 16, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

Hi - I empathize with your frustration. I found a posting on YouTube. It was verbalized by some kid that seemed very young. I tried it and it absolutely worked.

I have Windows 7, and was experiencing the same problem of unidentified network and couldn't reach the internet. Its an IPv6 or IPv4 IP address selection problem (or was for me). In network and sharing, after the word "connections" click on it to get into properties. In Vista it is a "view Status" link. Click on "properties". Click on Internet Protocol Version 6 then click properties. Select "obtain an IP Address Automatically". Click OK. Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 then click properties. Select "obtain an IP address automatically". Click OK. It should immediately start to identify the network and then you'll have internet connectivity again. My internet connection disappeared randomly and don't know why this happened.

Collapse -
same
by kottonkandiikid / April 19, 2010 4:43 AM PDT

well i tried everything on every forums that i found and still nutting fixed my problem.im running vista home premium...my brothers internet works fine..but its just my laptop that dont have it...it keeps on saying "unidentified network" idk...why that is happening...

but i have read that it might have happened if you had a recent update...i did have a HP Update last night..and then next day when i started my laptop it didnt work....i tried the router...takin off battery...enabling..n and more of the stuff but its still not back....i have to hand my asingment in like 4 hrs...T___T please someoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!!! =D

Collapse -
You didn't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: same

If you completed the steps detailed so far. You didn't tell about system restore to when it worked and more.

Collapse -
This worked for me
by elpasotexastejano / July 4, 2010 2:25 PM PDT

Control Panel then Network Connections. Right click on the wireless connection then properties, then highlight internet protocol version 6 or 4 then properties, then button on Obtain an IPV6 address automatically.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.