Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Undetected Virus Problems related to installation of Adobe

by cariconaway / January 3, 2013 12:09 AM PST

I have had issues with my computer since April 2012 when I was downloading a movie from a DVD digital copy. I have run scans on my computer. A few things were found and were removed. Even after that, my computer hasn't been the same. I'm not able to finish downloading my updates. My computer freezes as it's trying to finish installing updates. So I'm not able to get all the updates for my anti-virus installed. I've uninstalled Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Adobe Air. Anything Adobe related, I've uninstalled. A few months later, things seemed to be working better and I got another virus. The team at Staples removed most of it, but they told me there was still a virus in my computer, but it shouldn't be a problem. I have needed to reinstall Adobe Reader & Flash to run different programs. Things are fine for a while, then as I'm logged onto the internet using Explorer, my mouse dissappears and I have to manually restart my computer. Then I go back and uninstall the Adobe programs which seems to eleviate the problem. Once again, I need to reinstall Adobe and the problem pops back up. What is going on with my computer and how do I get rid of this pesky problem? I've run malwarebytes scans, spybot scans, ESETNOD32 scans (which is my antivirus) Microsoft Saftey Scanner scans. All of them come back with nothing being found. I know there's something going on with my system that's hiding. How do I find the problem and get rid of it once and for all?

cariconaway has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Undetected Virus Problems related to installation of Adobe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Undetected Virus Problems related to installation of Adobe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cariconaway

Collapse -
Not Sure Why Adobe Has Anything To Do With This But....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:05 AM PST

...if you haven't already, please follow the instructions below to use other malware scanners.. They will probably find items your other scanners did not.

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Manual Update
rhttp://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

And finally, download and run the tool below to bring back any files that may have been hidden by the malware on the computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not Sure Why Adobe Has Anything To Do With This But....
by cariconaway / January 3, 2013 9:07 AM PST

Thanks, I will give this a try. Hopefully it works!

Collapse -
Still having problems
by cariconaway / January 4, 2013 12:11 PM PST

I went through the list of things you mentioned to do. I did not purchase the different PC optimizers. After I did the scans and deleted what was found. I tried to reinstall Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe website. 57% into the installation, my mouse disappeared and I had to manually restart my computer. What is going on? Why am I still having this issue? Any suggestions?

Cari

Collapse -
Stumbling blocks..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Still having problems

Carl..

Shortly after you posted, I found myself curious as to why you felt Adobe had anything to do with your problems. You failed to mention your reasoning. Was it suggested by "the team at Staples"? The "team" who told you they "removed most of it, but there was still a virus in my computer, but it shouldn't be a problem"?

Putting the above aside, Bob suggested reinstalling NOD32. It's the first thing I would have tried, after scanning for malware. You failed to mention if you took his advice.

After reading you tried what Grif suggested, I decided to see if I was able to find anything significant related to Flash Player and/or NOD32. All the while, taking into consideration the problems began in April of last year. I headed over to Adobe's Flash Player Forums. And also ESET's NOD32 Forum at Wilder's.

At both forums I found information which might have been relevant to your situation. For example, I found a long thread at the NOD forum, over a span of a two month period, where users were experiencing similar update problems. This occurred around the same time you started to experience problems. And another thread where conflicts existed between Flash Player and NOD.

• I ran into stumbling blocks wherever I went. Without knowing your operating system, Internet Explorer version, Flash Player version, NOD32 version and also if you experienced problems using a different browser .. I found my hands were tied. You asked for suggestions. If you have yet to resolve the problems, I would suggest visiting both forums.

I see you recently tried to reinstall Flash Player. Did you completely uninstall Flash Player prior to attempting to reinstall it? Using their uninstaller? In "How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?" they note (in most cases) a clean install is not required when installing Flash Player. However, if you find you're running into problems reinstalling, it should help.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Mouse Problems Now
by cariconaway / January 7, 2013 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Stumbling blocks..

Carol,

To answer a few of your questions first, a friend of mine who's a computer tech at a company helped me with my computer. He gave me several scans to use and run on my computer. He was the one who suggested that I may be having a problem with the Adobe programs and to uninstall them. It wasn't any of the techs at Staples who suggested I'm having a problem with Adobe. They were the ones who said they got rid of most of the virus I had in my computer, but what was left shouldn't bother it.

Here's my information to help you a little more: Windows 7, Dell Inspiron N0701, Internet Explorer 8 (I think). SInce reading your reply today, I have completely uninstalled all Adobe programs by using the control panel. I have uninstalled my ESET NOD32 antivirus. I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials and I have also installed Adobe Flash 11, Reader, and Air.

After doing this, I downloaded an ultra violet movie. I watched a TV show that I had previously purchased from itunes and also watched a DVD on my computer. Since then, my mouse is now not working. I can see the mouse on the screen, and it doesn't matter what I do to the laptop mousepad, it will not move. I have to manually restart my computer. I am writing this from another computer in our house.

I did notice that after I uninstalled the NOD32 and installed the Microsoft Security Essentials, when I was on Internet Explorer, that my speed seemed to be improved. Now what do I do? I hope this answered some of your questions so you can help me a little better. Sorry for being unclear earlier.

Cari

Collapse -
Mouse Update
by cariconaway / January 7, 2013 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse Problems Now

Carol,
Just wanted to let you know that after I sent my previous reply to you, I started my computer in safe mode with networking, and the mouse works fine in this mode.

Cari

Collapse -
At This Point, We Perform a Full Recovery
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse Update

Unfortunately, if appears like there are still malware items on the computer.. In addition, because you're having so many issues, we generally find it more effective and quicker to simply perform a full recovery using the computer's recovery partition or the recovery discs that you've created or that came with the computer.. Such a recovery wipes the drive of all junk and will reinstall the operating system, all drivers, and all the software that came with the computer from the factory.

BEFORE performing the recovery, be sure to make backups of all your important files, documents, pictures, etc. The full recovery process will wipe all such files off the hard drive.

I don't see that you've given us the specifics of your computer (brand name, make and model number, laptop or desktop, etc.) but the computer manufacturer's website will be able to give you instructions on the procedures for reinstalling everything back to its factory state..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
update
by cariconaway / January 10, 2013 2:52 AM PST

I was able to get to my computer yesterday after my last post about the mouse. Infield really dumb saying this, but I solved thevproblem very easily. My kids had been watching a movie when the mouse had stopped. I only had yo hit one button to 're-enable my mouse. Everything is working fine now. Thank you everyone for your help. I did follow all the suggquestions and they all helped and things are up and running.

Thanks again,
Caring

Collapse -
Answer
So I'm not able to get all the updates for my anti-virus
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 12:15 AM PST

" So I'm not able to get all the updates for my anti-virus installed. "

When this happens to me I uninstall the antivirus, and install the latest version. I'm unsure if you know this about Windows and Apps but it appears it's a time honored workaround.

There are folk that feel this should be fixed. They might not do the usual work.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.