Computer Help forum

General discussion

unblock port 80

by vic fowler / July 29, 2005 8:52 AM PDT

My internet provider states a blocked port 80 prevents me from opening any page after accessing the internet.
I have windows 98 se with a 3com modem.

Does anyone know how to un block port 80.
Vic

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unblock port 80
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unblock port 80
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vic, Using A Firewall?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 29, 2005 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: unblock port 80

If so, tell us what type? Do you have a software firewall AND a modem firewall? Have you tried disabling one or both to see if that fixes the issue.

3com modem...Is that dial-up or broadband? If it's broadband, it may have a firewall. Tried reducing the settings to something less?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
blocked port 80
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Vic, Using A Firewall?

I do not have a firewall. I do have McAfee virus protector, bud deactivated it and all other programs except IE Explorer during tests. My internet provider told me port 80 was blocked after i conducted four separate ping tests. I also repaired the dial up modem. The problem began after a power dip. I also ran virus scan, deleted all tempt files and cookies.

Collapse -
Have Windows Visa 07
by pallmorris / September 7, 2008 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Vic, Using A Firewall?

Ever Since I Upgraded With AVG 8.0, Payed $$$$
Anti-Virus
And Diasabled My Windows Firewall It Is Overly Protective, And My Internet Connection Times Out.
It's Very Picky, When I Play Videos Or Listen To My Media Player It Skips Audibly When I'm Surfing, Can Anyone Help??????

Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / July 29, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

Is port 80 currently closed, and if so, how do you know? Next, what firewall and/or port-blocker do you have? If port 80 is currently blocked, someone must have set a program to block it. Without knowing what's installed, it's almost impossible to provide help. If you are simply unable to connect to the internet, please list the "symptoms," as a blocked port is just one of the possibilities.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Port 80 block
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply. I do not have a firewall. I do have McAfee virus protector. The system worked fine until a restart after a power dip. I can obtain internet access, but can not open any pages. The error message is: HTTP500 internal server error can not open pages. I deactivated McAfee and all other programs except IE Explorer. My internet provider told me port 80 was blocked after I ran four different ping tests.

Collapse -
Possibility...
by John.Wilkinson / July 30, 2005 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Port 80 block

The following is an excerpt from a Microsoft Modem Troubleshooter article:

? 3Com or US Robotics Windows-only modems:

Some US Robotics Windows-only modems may not be detected properly by Windows 98/98 Second Edition. This can occur even if the modem was working properly in Windows 95. If your US Robotics Windows-only modem is not detected when Windows 98/98 Second Edition starts, and if the modem is not listed in Device Manager (either under the Modem or Other Devices branch), use the Wmregdel.exe tool that is included on the Windows 98/98 Second Edition CD-ROM to clear all of the Windows-only modem-related registry entries, and then restart your computer. The Wmregdel.exe tool is located in the Drivers\Modem\3com-usr\Winmodem folder on your Windows 98/98 Second Edition CD-ROM.

If Windows 98/98 Second Edition still does not detect your US Robotics Windows-only modem, the Wmregdel.exe tool may not have removed all the necessary registry entries. To resolve this issue, obtain the updated version of the Wmregdel.exe tool from the US Robotics FTP Web site.

------------------------------------------------------
That's the only solution I can find that is specific to your problem. If that doesn't work, go through the Microsoft troubleshooter and see if any of the other suggestions help.

If the problem still isn't resolved, my guess would be that your modem was damaged by the power sag (and a probable power spike afterwards). In that case, try swapping your modem with someone else's to see if another modem works in your computer. If so, you'll have to replace the modem.
------------------------------------------------------
Finally, I can't stress the need for protection strongly enough...both a firewall and surge protector. ZoneAlarm is a good free, basic firewall to get you started, although you may want to purchase the Pro version to activate the advanced options. As far as a surge protector goes, make sure that it has phone line and/or coaxal cable protection, as a power surge can travel through all cables...not just a power cord.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Port 80 block
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Possibility...

John,
My modem connects to the internet, and I can send and receive e-mail via outlook express. However, I can no longer open web pages nor surf the Web.

My sure protector covered the phone line. I too suspect a damaged modem. Thanks for the information on ZoneAlarm.

Vic

Collapse -
Port 80 IS, in fact,
by Ray Harinec / July 29, 2005 10:27 AM PDT

http. Seems that you do not have your TCP/IP setting correct on your computer.

You need to reset'install the correct protocols in network neighborhood, or in the Dial up settings.

Collapse -
blocked port 80
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Port 80 IS, in fact,

Ray,

My TCP/IP settings are assigned by the IP and have not changed from before the problem arose. The problem pc and this one have identical settings, so I believe the problem is in another area.

Collapse -
OK Vic, Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 30, 2005 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: blocked port 80

First, download and run the WinsockXPFix from the link below. Normally, it works on all versions of Windows:

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

If that doesn't allow you to connect, then you may need to reinstall the Internet TCP/IP protocol. That's done by opening Control Panel, double click on the "Network" icon, then remove/uninstall the current Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the "Network Components" display, restart the computer, then "Add" TCP/IP back again. You'll probably need to have the Windows 98 CD to do the installation.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
blocked port 80
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 5:21 AM PDT

Grif,
I was glad to see a Windsock fix for XP, but I have Windows 98SE. I sent a note to Patrick at IUP to see if he is aware of a fix for 98.

MY internet provider stated that the problem is not in the TCP/IP, but I am ready to uninstall and reinstall nearly anything to get back to normal control.

Vic

Collapse -
port 80 block
by vic fowler / July 30, 2005 5:25 AM PDT

Grif,
Please disregard my last message to you. I should have read your note better, and just noticed it works for all versions.

Sorry,

Vic

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, It Should Work For Win98...Let Us Know How It Goes
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 30, 2005 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: port 80 block
Collapse -
port 80 block
by vic fowler / August 1, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

Grif,
I ran winsock.dll fix, and found proper winsock dll and Wsock32.dll.

Reinstalled access provider software, diagnosed the modem, still can not open pages after logging on. I am now pursuing potential fixes with Microsoft help. The problem may be tied to Internet Explorer 6SP1.

Thanks for your help.

Vic

Collapse -
Vic, Then Try Installing Another Browser
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 2, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: port 80 block

You may need to download it on another computer, then transfer it by CD, but it's certainly worth a try. I use Firefox as a second browser and like it. Here's the link:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

You should also try "repairing" Internet Explorer. On Windows 98, that's done by opening the Control Panel-Add\Remove Programs, then find the "Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools" listing. Highlight the listing, then click on the "Add/Remove Button". A small window will pop up with three options, one being to "Repair". Select that option, then follow the prompts to repair it.

Here's another tool that will frequently "repair" Internet Explorer too:

IEFix Utility
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
blocked port 80
by vic fowler / August 6, 2005 4:45 AM PDT

Grif,
Problem solved this morning. WinsockFix found two unwanted winsock files which I renamed. I ran IE Exp repair earlier and these two changes did not fix the problem. The fix occurred after I uninstalled and reinstalled my internet access provider software and reconfigured every modem and dialup setting on the problem pc to match the settings on this laptop. Apparently the power dip while on line changed one of the access settings.
Thanks for your help.

Vic

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.