Samsung forum

Alert

Unbelievable Samsung Still Has NO Variable Audio Output

by Zmandfw / March 14, 2012 9:22 PM PDT

In this day and age it is beyond comprehension that all Samsung HDTVs still do NOT have any way to control external volume from the TV or TV remote??

Especially given the crappy nature of their built-in speakers. This issue has been complained about on their own forums since 2008 and STILL their TVs are produced with no way to use directly connected powered external speakers.

The solution? Buy LG or Sony - they get it. And all their TVs have variable audio out ports.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unbelievable Samsung Still Has NO Variable Audio Output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unbelievable Samsung Still Has NO Variable Audio Output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 15, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Zmandfw,

Most people don't use headsets on large panels, which is what variable audio outputs are usually used for. Partly because the headphones would need very long cables to reach the back + the distance of sitting back quite a distance from a large screen, and partly because most people use an amplified receiver these days. Any audiophile worth his salt wouldn't recommend using variable audio with a receiver. Sending a "too amplified" signal could damage some receivers, or cause distortion.

But on one point, I agree with you - if this is a deciding factor to being happy (or not) with a TV, then consider all your options. We don't have variable control on our audio outs. That's not been a secret - as you correctly noted - for years. It's not "beyond comprehension", however, because there are logical reasons why variable isn't on a large screen TV, and I hope some of that was addressed here. Those are logical reasons the feature wouldn't be added.

Also, not all models of Sony have variable audio, and LG doesn't advertise it either way. I understand that this situation angers you somehow, and I'm sorry you're not happy. But before we encourage everyone to run and jump in the competitors' pools, let's make sure there's water before someone picks up a Sony KDL-32BX330 or a KDL-55BX520 thinking it has more than the same "fixed" audio feature. I looked on their site, and they advertise both of those sets as "fixed" audio options.

I'll be happy to escalate your post and opinions to the decision-makers, but it's not uncommon for that feature to be absent in today's televisions.

Though we may disagree, I hope perhaps this at least gives you some perspective from a different point of view.

Best,

--HDTech

Collapse -
I'm annoyed as well...
by shakham / July 20, 2012 2:05 PM PDT

An audiophile wouldn't make the TV the center of sound distribution. What I mean by this is you would never pipe the TV sound output anywhere.

Instead all your devices connect to a processor (which connects to an amplifier), and just the video goes to the TV. The processor is the centerpiece in audio switching and decoding.

Now that being said....
If anybody is using the RCA outputs (or equivalent analog) on their TV, they simply wish to upgrade their TV speakers. In order to keep it as seamless as possible, the TV should control the external volume.

It should be very easy to let the user choose fixed or variable option for their audio-out.

I am annoyed by this situation daily with my Samsung to the point where when I upgraded another TV, I chose a Sharp 835u series instead of a Samsung. The other TV works seamlessly with a dedicated auto-on/off amplifier.

All you have to do is fix this minor issue, but apparently you guys are too stubborn to do it.

Collapse -
connecting external speakers
by Tonyj711 / July 20, 2012 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm annoyed as well...

Picked up a OnkyoTX 8255 receiver to add external speakers to my Samsung HLN507 can't get any sound, can anyone help

Collapse -
I feel the same way ... NO variable audio out annoys me
by peterk222 / January 28, 2013 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: I'm annoyed as well...

I can belief this, that Samsung does not fix this minor issue. Or at least have an option to set it.
Now I have to use 2 remote controls (!) every day in order to adjust the volume on my "smart" TV and the stereo system.
I hate myself for not first checking online and trusting a sales rep!!!!!!!
SAMSUNG ARE YOU LISTENING ...............................................................

Collapse -
Headphones? Huh?
by sonyknut / November 22, 2012 1:53 AM PST

Man, you are all wet.

Some of us like to control our TV with the cable remote - Thus, having one remote. Yep, I have smart remotes and learning remotes, HOWEVER, I want at least three remotes and the cable box remotes are easy to come by and replacement is free.

Setting up a cable remote for a TV is much easier than doing so for an amp even if it was possible. I want to set my amp's audio control AND FORGET IT. I also want to do the same for the cable box. Why, you might ask? Because I feed more than one TV from the cable box, that's why. So, varying the audio level from the cable box would affect all of the TVs.

So, yes, it does anger me that Samsung has made (and continues to stand by) the idiotic decision to not offer variable audio out. I mean, really, how much would that cost? A change to the TV's software?

What's more, it would allow Samsung to potentially sell to guys like me who PREFER Sony because the folks at Sony understand there is more than one way to set up a home entertainment system and want their TVs to be flexible enough to fit the needs of a broader market.

Maybe a financial incentive will wise up the bean counters at Samsung! But, I doubt it because I have been on this issue for YEARS - All the way back to when my Mits 26 incher went belly up. Sony was the only choice and, at $2 grand in 1999, it wasn't a cheap one. I'd like to buy a Samsung UN40EH6030 for $497 as a backup TV. But, the fixed audio out is a deal killer. So, I will have to ante up another $200 for the Sony.

You can believe what you want about headphones but I want variable audio out and have never used headphones with a large TV.

Again, how much would it cost Samsung to add variable audio out? And, if the answer is "not much", why the hell haven't they done it?

Collapse -
I am ticked off not having varable audio out on Samsung ...
by peterk222 / January 28, 2013 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: Headphones? Huh?

Even though I've asked the sales rep a couple of times about the variable audio out on my Samsung TV, he told me it is variable.
The idiot here in the forum, who said this would be only useful for headphones, must be some Samsung PR rep.
I am looking for a solution to have variable audio out available with my TV.
Anybody out there with a solution???

Collapse -
But I need to use a headset!!
by SamsungDimWit / January 29, 2013 3:52 AM PST

Being slightly deaf and despite using a very advanced pair of hearing aids, I find it very useful to use a headset occasionally.

It is facile to suggest that long leads are required for large screens because one can use a simple Bluetooth adapter to connect. There was no problem at all to do this on my old 'Non-Smart' Sony TV so why can I not do so on my band new Samsung 'Smart' TV (a Samsung UE40ES8000 model)? If I plug in a headset it completely cuts out the TV's built in speakers. How utterly stupid to actually design such an arrangement. .

Would connecting a sound bar facilitate the use of headphones?

Collapse -
by Eunko / August 4, 2014 3:04 AM PDT

I believe your first sentence is incorrect. Most people with home theater external sound systems DO want variable sound output from their Samsung TV.. Just purchased UN50EH6000 and extremely happy with high quality video but not so much the internal audio. Internal audio selections (standard, movie, etc) all sound horrible, particularly at bass tones. At times, somewhat similar to speaker rattle!

Having dumped an older 37" VISIO, I looked forward to tying the Samsung into my home theater system that has no IR remote for input volume on audio amplifier. Wow! Was I surprised when I found output of Samsung was fixed!

Looking now for small IR remote controlled volume control... and they are like hen's teeth. I am deeply disappointed in the Samsung. I can't believe Samsung

Thought perhaps speaker audio could be tapped for input to sound system, don't even want to try because internal audio so terrible!

Samsung is missing the boat, and from what I hear, has been for years! I would not recommend Samsung TV to my friends because of the horrible sound and NO variable output.

Collapse -
It's a descision made by this maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2014 3:31 AM PDT

As such you won't want this make product. As this is how it's been for years, this old thread is closed.

Collapse -
by westernsunset / February 6, 2013 1:35 PM PST

I agree with Zmandfw. I bought a Samsung 55" "Smart TV" and am returning it. My old Vizio had a choice for variable output. Why doesn't the Samsung? Why should you have to use a separate remote for controlling the sound coming from your TV?

Collapse -
by rcterzi / March 12, 2013 2:16 AM PDT

I too find this very disappointing. I wouldn't have bought a Samsung if I knew this in advance.

Is there any meaningful way of letting Samsung know this feature is important to some?

Perhaps to file a Request for Enhancement?

I wonder if this is something that could be fixed in the firmware

Collapse -
what a pain
by nvsn / December 10, 2013 7:08 AM PST

Just bought a Samsung 50" 6300. My old sony had this feature, it was a simple upgrade for me to upgrade poor sound on a flat screen TV, and still control it with the same remote. I can't believe my 5 year old tv I replaced was more advanced. Now I have to spend even more money find a way to control the audio out, and in the end I will have use another remote to control just the audio. I may need to return this tv, not sure what will be more of a pain.

Collapse -
Here's a solution:
by truth3wtc7 / January 6, 2014 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: what a pain

The Hi-Sense Model 55K610GWN 55" 1080p 120Hz Class LED-LCD HDTV at Wal-Mart for $678 has a VARIABLE COAXIAL AUDIO OUTPUT jack on the back. The original Model, 55K610GW (no "N" at the end of the Model #) did NOT have this feature,... but Hi-Sense, UNLIKE SAMSUNG, has Sense (pun intended), and listened to it's consumers.
Needless to say I will be RETURNING my crappy Samsung 6300 to Wal-Mart today and EXCHANGING it for the Hi-Sense 55K610GWN and leaving the store with an extra $400+ cash in my pocket and a TV that I can control the audio with the remote that comes with it.
No thanks to Samsung.

Collapse -
I completely agree with you! Samsung has sold EVERYONE OUT!
by truth3wtc7 / January 6, 2014 12:42 AM PST

I had an Oleivia 47" that worked great for several years. It had several audio out options. I used the "SUB OUT" RCA and feed it to an old Pyramid 100 watt stand alone home amp and fed that to an old band pass box I had laying around with a pair of 15" subs in it. I detached the factory "sound bar" speaker system that came with the Oleivia and used the Oleivia's inboard amp to drive 4 speakers, a pair of JVC 6x9 4-way car speakers installed in small carpeted boxes that I placed on each end, on top of the headboard in our master bedroom, and another pair of Cerwin Vega bookshelf (2-way with 8" woofer) speakers on the floor. I set the audio out on the Oleivia to "variable". Needless to say it freakin rocked! I could crank up the audio to the point the subs would make you feel you were in the front row of a concert and then some, while at the same time the Oleivia's on-board amp (that was previously powering TINY speakers in the "soundbar" that came with the TV) was easily able to power the 4 external speakers and VERY NICELY! At first I thought I was asking too much from the Oleivia's in-board amp, and that it would eventually FAIL, but INSTEAD it worked FANTASTIC, I would like to see ANYONE create a BETTER SOUNDING 2.1 HOME THEATER set up for under $400!!!
So after 5 years the Oleivia started to have a dark spot upon warm up that would go away after about 5 minutes, so we decided to buy a new TV. My first choice was the Samsung 55" 6003 at WalMart for $800. Got it home and set it up only to find (are you ready for this?!?) NO AUDIO OUTPUT OPTION WHAT SO EVER ON THE BACK OF THE SET!!!!!!! I could not believe this! How in the hell could they do this? The only thing I could think of is that this Model was designed to be used in a Doctor's office or in a waiting room of sort's. Why in God's name would you market this Model at WalMart for public consumption?!?!?!?
So I returned that and exchanged it for the Samsung 55" 6300 "Smart TV" for $1100, $300 MORE MONEY, I (stupidly) thought this "SMART" Model would surely provide some Audio Output Options,... But UNBELIVABLY Nooooooooo! Only a TOS-LINK (Toshiba Fiber Optic Link) but still FIXED with NO ABILITY to change it to variable! Well needless to say BACK IT GOES TODAY, 01/06/2014, and I will never buy another Samsung product again EVER! Also, upon setting up the "Smart" features on the Samsung 6300, in order to use the Internet you have to sign up with Samsung's "HUB", actually open an account with Samsung and after reading the full Terms Of Use Agreement, I said HELL NO! They want you to agee to let them track everything you do and "if nessasary", REPORT you to Law Enforcement! It's a freakin joke! The other mfn's like Hisence, Element, etc,... all their Smart TV's don't have anything like this BS Samsung has.
I think the reason they have FIXED audio out is so you buy their, (Samsung's), (exspensive) Soundbar's / subwoofers... Even then I don't know if you can run the audio off the TV's remote.
SIMPLE QUESTION FOR SAMSUNG: Why in the world would ANYONE want to run TWO remotes to operate their home theater system when it could easily be done with ONE? Think about it before you call the 6300 a "Smart TV" would you?!?

Collapse -
correction:
by truth3wtc7 / January 6, 2014 12:51 AM PST

I have a 1000 watt Pyramid Amp, NOT 100 watt.
And Samsung also needs to answer my other question:
Why make people agree to a 88 page Terms Of Service Agreement to use the Smart Features on a $1100 Samsung TV set? WOW you people at Samsung are stupid...!

Collapse -
This post asks a good question but is buried.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: correction:

One of the side effects of patents and such is more has to appear in that agreement. It would be nice to see this in the clear so folk can discuss it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.