Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Unable To Update Malware & Microsoft Security Essentials

by beachangel1 / July 8, 2011 8:48 AM PDT

My mom has norton on her computer now and is getting ready to expire so I downloaded and installed Malware & Microsoft Security Essentials. Malware & MSE will not do a scan as both programs want an update first. I am unable to do an update on either program as my mom's computer keeps shutting down and I have to log back in. Is this happening because Norton is still on her computer? If I remove Norton will I then be able to the updates? If Norton isn't the problem, any ideas on what else it could be? Mom is getting nervous as she thinks Norton will expire before I get this fixed and she won't have any protection.

Thank you for in advance for any assistance you can give me with this issue,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable To Update Malware & Microsoft Security Essentials
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable To Update Malware & Microsoft Security Essentials
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Norton needs to be removed FIRST..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 9:17 AM PDT

Please read "Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials". Specifically paying attention to #3 where it states in part:

Remove ALL real-time anti-malware products that WERE EVER INSTALLED on your PC (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, avast, avira, MBAM (paid), etc). . Uninstall your previous real-time antimalware. Then, use the removal/cleanup tools in this thread. Not only should you remove your current anti-malware product(s), you should also uninstall any free or trial anti-malware products that may have been installed on your PC when purchased, even if never activated.

The Norton Removal Tool can be found here:

Best of luck..

Collapse -
IF you installed the FREE version..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

If you installed the FREE version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on your mom's machine, it shouldn't pose a problem. As long as it's not running in "real-time". The same with SUPERAntiSpyware.

Collapse -
What is Real-Time?
by beachangel1 / July 8, 2011 10:22 AM PDT

Thanks, Carol, for helping me. I will make sure I un-install Norton & will make sure there isn't anything else on her computer.

Can you explain what you mean by Real-Time? I've not heard of that before.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Real time means it is running and
by roddy32 / July 8, 2011 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: What is Real-Time?

protecting you all the time such as your antivirus does. It runs in the background. On demand free scanners such as SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malwaredo not do that. They scan when you tell them to. In order for them to also run in real time you would have to buy the paid versions but that should not be neccessary..

Collapse -
Real-Time on MSE
by beachangel1 / July 8, 2011 7:53 PM PDT

On my computer I have SuperAnti-Spyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Microsoft Security Essentials. Is there a way for me to turn off the real-time on MSE? I didn't know what real-time meant and appreciate you explaining it to me.

Thanks so much for the help,

Collapse -
Just a note,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Real-Time on MSE

and excuse my interrupting into Carol's and Rod's domain here, but I saw your post.

May I ask, are you sure you want to disable Real-Time anti-virus protection? The Norton product on your mother's computer would also have been set to protect the computer in real-time. I assume that Norton has now been fully uninstalled.

The general view among the security experts in these forums and elsewhere is that any computer that is used to surf the internet needs to be protected from viruses. Without real-time protection the computer may be considered to be at risk.

If the two other utilities you have, MalwareBytes' Anti-malware and SUPERANTI-spyware are the free versions of those utilities, they do not run in real-time, so this computer would be left defenseless against attack. And in any case, those two utilities do not check for viruses, but for other malware that anti-virus scanners do not find.

Is there some other problem with this computer that you feel turning off MSE's real-time protection would solve?

Collapse -
Not That I Know Of
by beachangel1 / July 8, 2011 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a note,

I was just going by the other's post. I have MSE as sometimes it finds items that the SuperAnti-spyware doesn't find. With having all of 3 of these on my computer I have not yet had any problems, knock on wood. I will leave MSE on and keep things the way there are on my computer and do the same thing for my mom.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Have a great weekend,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.