Windows Vista

General discussion

Unable to Uninstall some programs!

by PollKat / April 26, 2010 11:16 AM PDT

WIndows Vista 32 bit
The issue is removing a program. When I go to control panel to add/remove programs and I click on the program I want to uninstall, it tells me that I am not authorized to do so. This doesn't make a bit of sense to me because I am logged on as the administrator and no one else uses this computer.

I've uninstalled programs before but this time I wanted to uninstall Google Earth to get some room on my almost used up HD. For some reason it won't let me uninstall it. Is there something I'm missing?

Do I have to go the registry run/regedit to get rid of it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to Uninstall some programs!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to Uninstall some programs!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without more information
by Brechan / April 26, 2010 1:42 PM PDT

I can only suggest a program that will give you an alternative to using the 'Add/Remove Program' feature in Windows Vista - Revo Uninstaller.
I've used this program to rmove many 'hard to uninstall' programs over the years, and it only removes 32 bit programs.
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol

I usually use the 'Advanced' uninstall feature; as it removes not just the program, but also any remnants in the registry and program files.

Hope this helps Happy

B.

Collapse -
I agree with Brechan, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 8:12 PM PDT

before trying his option, just make sure you cannot remove Google Earth from the Start menu > All Programs listing.

I've just checked my Start Menu, (Vista the same as you), and in All Programs I have a folder for Google Earth. Inside that is Google Earth's own uninstaller.

Try that first, and if that doesn't work, then try Brechan's option.

Mark

Collapse -
Ya Mon!
by PollKat / April 28, 2010 2:21 PM PDT

Thanks Brechan but Mark hit it, I forgot about that uninstall from the program menu. I usually go into the registry later on anyway to find those fragment files sitting there. I was surprised once after I stopped using zone alarm/check point, that there were so many pieces of it left in the registry.

Thanks again!

I have an old issue that has never been resolved concerning a scan freeze up and total non function of the computer when the scan reaches one or more of the nvgames.dll files. nv stands for NVidia.

I'll have to find the old thread, maybe you can find solution.

Collapse -
Do you mean..
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 28, 2010 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Ya Mon!

this one?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3202316#3202316

If so, I see you use ZoneAlarm for your anti-virus. ZA allows you to add files to it's "Exceptions" list, and that is supposed to tell ZA to ignore those files. I know this was discussed in that thread, and I can see where the problem is.

These are the steps we should be able to take to add this nvgames.dll to the exception list:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open ZA's Control Panel, (right click the ZA icon in the Notification area, near the clock, select Show ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Panel).

Navigate to Anti-virus/Anti-spyware.

Click on the Advanced Options.

In the new window, find in the left-hand column "Exceptions" and click.

In the right hand pane, click Add.

In the new window, make sure "On-Access scan" is selected. (If that options doesn't help, then later on try changing it to "Trusted Process").

Click Browse, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Highlight System32 and the folders and files will list in the right hand pane. Scroll down until you see nvgames.dll. Highlight, then click Open. Click OK/OK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, those are the steps. But, when you scroll down the System32 folder to find nvgames.dll, it isn't listed. I don't understand that, and I don't have a solution.

To make this clear, it isn't listed in that ZA navigator, even though you have set Explorer to show hidden folders and files, and show hidden protected system files.

Because of this I wonder if you should register with the ZoneLab forums at http://forums.zonealarm.com/index.php and seek clarification there.

By the way, glad to see you got the other problem sorted.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.