Download.com Site Feedback

General discussion

Unable to Uninstall on Mac

by Snapper671 / March 9, 2011 12:44 AM PST

The TTEngine process runs at 90% of my machine and locks down the computer.

I need to uninstall but there is no uninstall application on my machine. I tried reinstalling, to get the uninstall app but got this error in the install log:
Mar 9 11:21:58 lenovo-6c56f486 installd[464]: Error -43 getting LS info for file://localhost/Applications/CNET%20TechTracker%20Uninstaller/Uninstall.app

I have removed the items from:
/Library/TechTracker/TTEngine.app/
/Applications/CNET%20TechTracker.app/
/Library/PreferencePanes/TechTrackerPrefs

Please Help, this is a work machine I need this off of it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to Uninstall on Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to Uninstall on Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Console Message
by Snapper671 / March 9, 2011 12:48 AM PST

Forgot to mention that my console now prints this every ten seconds:
3/9/11 11:45:41 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.1163616739[221] (com.cnet.ttengine[763]) posix_spawn("/Library/TechTracker/TTEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEngine", ...): No such file or directory
3/9/11 11:45:41 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.1163616739[221] (com.cnet.ttengine[763]) Exited with exit code: 1
3/9/11 11:45:41 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.1163616739[221] (com.cnet.ttengine) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Collapse -
Uninstalling TechTracker on a Mac
by CNET_Gregg-23902024539272 / March 9, 2011 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Console Message

Hello Snapper671,

In order to manually delete the TechTracker application, you should move the following folder and files to the Trash:

/Applications/CNET TechTracker
User/Library/Application Support/TechTracker
User/Library/Preference Panes/TechTracker
User/Library/Preferences/com.cnet.techtracker.plist
User/Library/Preferences/Techtracker.pref
User/Library/TechTracker folder

Once you move these files along with the CNET TechTracker folder to the Trash, restart your Macintosh, and then empty the Trash, TechTracker will be completely removed.

In addition, there was an update released for TechTracker on Monday 3/8, which will directly address the "TTEngine issue". You might also try downloading and installing this update and see if it resolves your issue.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Gregg
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Is TechTracker a virus? Sure acts like one.
by gpmckay / May 19, 2011 9:55 AM PDT

TechTracker has the characteristics of a virus. I thought I had removed TechTracker at least 2 times before, only to find this "TTEngine" process running(a couple months later) for a 3rd time. I've tried to delete the files CNet referenced in the above post and learned the following:

Collapse -
Did you find a solution?
by christiaan_beekhuis / July 21, 2011 7:27 AM PDT

Hi, did you ever find a solution for fully eliminating Tech Tracker and TTEngine from your Mac? I turned off checking but would like to get it completely off of my system if possible.

Collapse -
TTEngine gone; Preference panel remains
by christiaan_beekhuis / July 21, 2011 10:28 AM PDT

Using the ActivityMonitor I was able to kill the parent process of TTEngine and then kill TTEngine. I then deleted TTEngine.app but had to re-start before I could empty the trash.

Collapse -
Right click ???
by static-macmini-i7_spam / July 22, 2011 12:06 AM PDT

Have you tried right clicking on the "CNET TechTracker" icon and selecting Remove "CNET TrechTracker" Preference Pane?

Collapse -
Not on a Mac...
by christiaan_beekhuis / July 22, 2011 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Right click ???

How do I 'right-click' on a Mac? - and none of the System Preference menu items match the function you mention.

Collapse -
Re: Right click ???
by AC6VV / January 10, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Right click ???

I have a two-button mouse on my Mac and right click works to remove the preferences pane. Have you tried an option-click or control-click?

Collapse -
Re: Uninstalling TechTracker on a Mac
by AC6VV / January 10, 2012 9:14 AM PST

Thanks Gregg, The process worked (with a couple of tweaks of pathnames). Here are mine:

/Applications/CNET TechTracker
/Users/<myusername>/Library/Application Support/TechTracker
/Users/<myusername>/Library/Preference Panes/TechTracker
/Users/<myusername>/Library/Preferences/com.cnet.techtracker.plist
/Users/<myusername>/Library/Preferences/Techtracker.pref
/Library/TechTracker folder

This was on my Mac Pro (non-Intel) G5, running OS X Version 10.5.8, where TechTracker happily installed, but would not allow me to open the preferences pane. It also didn't care that most of the updates it found were not compatible with a non-Intel Mac. Pretty much made it a useless nuisance! Thanks for helping me finally get the dang thing removed!

Collapse -
Also check Users/~/Library/LaunchAgents for hidden files
by bsouthwick / June 20, 2012 1:01 PM PDT

Also check Users/~?/Library/LaunchAgents for hidden files such as com.cnet.ttengine.plist

Collapse -
Tech Tracker self installed
by Gary Strangman / November 20, 2012 4:20 PM PST

After using Tech Tracker over a year ago I uninstalled it. It took ages to find out how. Now it has appeared on my computer and does not show up in applications or if I search my computer for TechTracker. I want this F#@*ing thing off my computer right F#@*ing now. I will start contacting your advertisers in 24 hours to tell them why I will never buy a product remotely connected to Cnet.

Collapse -
I see you have an answer but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 9, 2011 8:07 AM PST

what Mac version is this?

P

Collapse -
Use an Uninstaller
by --marian-- / April 23, 2012 10:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.