How To forum

Resolved Question

Unable to remove 'READ ONLY' from a file

by fpweaver / October 5, 2011 8:07 AM PDT

I am switching to a new computer and am trying to copy an existing Quicken file to a CD so I can transfer it to the new computer. Currently using Windows XP Home Edition and going to Windows 7. I can get the file transferred to a CD ok but the file is 'READ ONLY'. I have tried everything to remove this designation but when I apply the change, I get a error message that says 'ERROR OCCURED APPLYING ATTRIBUTE TO THE FILE - ACCESS IS DENIED'. All I need is a simple way to get this file ready to load on the new computer. I can not currently download to Quicken in the 'READ ONLY' condition. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

fpweaver has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to remove 'READ ONLY' from a file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to remove 'READ ONLY' from a file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by fpweaver

Collapse -
by fpweaver / October 5, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

Have not set up new computer yet. Have more files to load to a CD first. What is HDD? I'm a DUMMY. Are you sure that I can change the files once I put them on the new computer? Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
HDD = the new hard disk in the new computer
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 4:27 AM PDT

I have to say I have never had an problems with this, but I know it's confusing.

A CD is a storage media that holds files which cannot be altered in anyway, and cannot (generally) be deleted. They are not like hard disks where we can add, remove, rename, and so on, as and when we wish. In fact the way I see it, calling these files "Read Only" is a little misleading, not by you but by the industry and by us.

Think of music CDs that we buy from shops. We cannot change that CD in any way. The normal CDs we use for copying data to are similar in a way. Once they are copied, (burned), to a disk, they are permanent. I won't go into CD (RW), (CD Read/Write that can, in fact, manipulate files), because they are slightly different.

So, the files you copied on to CD are there permanently and cannot be changed. That is why they are called "Read Only".

But when you get your new computer, you should be able to simply copy the files from the CD onto the new computer's hard drive. They should then lose their "Read only" status, but if not you can soon change them individually.

HOWEVER I do see one possible complication. Don't throw that old computer away immediately you get the new one because you may need it. When we record, (or copy), data on to a CD, we have the choice of closing or finalizing the session on the CD, or leaving the session open. They are called "Closed CDs" or "Open CDs".

A closed CD can be read by any computer. But a closed CD cannot have any more data copied onto it.

An open CD means more data can be added to it, but no other computer will see that data. Only the computer that was used to copy the data onto the CD can see those files.

You may need to insert the CD, (or CDs), back into the original computer and use the software you used to copy the data to them to close the session. Then it should be able to be used by any other computer.

That is why we now tend to not bother with transferring files onto CD but instead use USB memory sticks or external USB drives. Apart from having much more capacity, they do not suffer from this closed/open problem. And also, coping data is so much easier. Simply Copy/Paste onto the memory stick or external drive.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
by fpweaver / October 6, 2011 1:03 PM PDT

Thanks Mark. This was VERY helpful. It helped educate this DUMMY. Before your answer, I had tried using a USB memory stick and found it to work just great. Just need to go buy a larger capicity stick. Thanks again.

Frank

Collapse -
You're welcome
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 9:52 PM PDT

and I'm glad you found an easier way to do this.

We were all dummies once, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by fpweaver / October 8, 2011 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

I've got to go back on what I said about figuring it out. I bought a new SanDisk Flash Drive today to download my files. But low and behold I'm right back where I was with trying to download to a CD. I get ARCHIVED files but when I try to undo that, they revert back to READ ONLY files and I cannot do anything with them. So I cannot download them to my new computer. Guess I might still need to buy an external hard drive. I might still try to download them in an ARCHIVED condition. That might work. More later.

Frank

Collapse -
the file will not change attributes
by luvdared / September 1, 2012 1:15 PM PDT

The file I am trying to delete is on a usb stick. using properties to change out of RO will not change
I cannot delete it. any suggestions? please I can't use the stick because of this file. I have tried formatting but it will not format

Collapse -
Re: delete a file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 8:05 PM PDT

Please start a new thread about this. Your issue seems to be different from the one discussed in this thread.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Files on a CD are Read Only
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

Files on a CD are read only and you can't edit them or rename them in anyway.

Can you copy that file from the CD to the new hard disk then change it's properties there?

Mark

Collapse -
unable to remove 'READ ONLY' from a file
by fpweaver / October 5, 2011 1:56 PM PDT

Do not yet have new computer set up. Want to get all my files removed before I do the new set up. Also if I put other files, such as pictures, on a CD, does that mean they are also 'READ ONLY'? Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
It would be a much better idea...
by grimgraphix / October 5, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

... to get yourself an external hard drive for back up.

Collapse -
by fpweaver / October 5, 2011 3:21 PM PDT

Wouldn't an external hard drive yield the same results as trying to download to a CD? Wouldn't I still have a READ ONLY file? Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) No, it wouldn't.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 4:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
If the file is on the CD, then it shall be READ ONLY.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

Wait till you copy back to the HDD to change that attribute.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Other ideas...
by Doh_1 / October 14, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

There are a couple of other ways to transfer friles between an old and new computer. A CD or DVD is only one way. You can also use your home network, such as having both computers on a router, and sharing folders between the computers. Then you can simply copy the folder and files that you want to get on the new computer using the network sharing.

Collapse -
Answer
Files Burned to CD/R Disks are ALWAYS Read-Only
by Flatworm / October 14, 2011 11:01 PM PDT

Don't worry about it. Once you copy the files back to your hard drive they will be writeable again. Files on a CD/R can only be written just the once when they are created.

But don't throw that old computer away yet, not until you are confident that the new one is up and running to your satisfaction and everything you want has been copied from it. Sometimes various older software will store data in unexpected locations. As long as you still have the old computer, you can correct any omissions in data transfer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.