Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Unable to remove Continuous Section Break in Word document

by richardvann / August 15, 2005 11:19 PM PDT

I have tried to click and delete, click and back space, etc....all the usual tricks to delete a break. When I do, Word moves the continuous section break up to the previous section break in the document. I have paragraph marks turned on and cannot see anything preventing this operation...any ideas guys? Running Win XP and Office 2003 on a Dell Latitude D600.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to remove Continuous Section Break in Word document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to remove Continuous Section Break in Word document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you explain.
by Kees Bakker / August 15, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

"Word moves the continuous section break up to the previous section break"

Sorry, but I don't understand.

And I don't see much problems with having a superfluous section break generally.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: Can you explain
by richardvann / August 16, 2005 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you explain.

I guess it's no big deal to have an extra section break in a document as long as the headers and footers are behaving.

What happens is that I have multiple "next page" section breaks. When I try to remove the continuous one, the "next page" break that occurs next earliest in the document is replaced by the continuous break.

Collapse -
Some are from the page length.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2005 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Can you explain

Does this break move if you change the page size from 8x11 to 8x14?

Bob

Collapse -
Merging sections
by El Alquimista / August 16, 2005 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Can you explain

The following site explains section breaks, and why your continuous break moves up to replace the previous breakwhen you delete it. Paragraph formatting is also affected in a similar manner. This is apparently ?by design,? though only MS knows why.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WorkWithSections.htm

At the end of the article is a section on merging sections, which is what you are doing by deleting a section break. The work around seems a little clumsy to me, but should work.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
Thanks Frank...
by richardvann / August 16, 2005 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Merging sections

...and everyone else who responded. I'll try the site you mentioned.

Richard

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it was useful
by El Alquimista / August 18, 2005 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Frank...
Collapse -
Remove/Delete a Page Break from a Word Document
by colindarby / August 18, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

Try the below;
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
a. Change your Word Document from Print Layout to Normal View. To Switch = Toolbar = "View" = "Normal".
b. Page breaks are identified in the Normal view document as dotted lines (page breaks you insert are identified as ''Page Break''.
c. On the screen click on the left edge of the dotted lines and select the page break.
d. Press the [Delete] key or click on the Cut button. You can also click below the page break, then press [Backspace].

Collapse -
thanks A lot darling Kees
by wasomal / January 31, 2011 5:18 PM PST

i'm so thanks full that my ans already exits on net....! i'm so happy and wish for your happiness too....

take care

love you

Wasomal
Pakistan

Collapse -
Delete Section Break
by Slate55 / February 18, 2012 10:11 PM PST

I'm using Word on a MacBook. It was a simple solution and it worked, thanks!

Collapse -
this solution is really simple and works great!
by marshmallow89 / August 18, 2010 2:23 PM PDT

To get rid of a continuous section break successfully (so it doesn?t keep replacing the previous Next Page section break): First highlight a few lines above and after the continuous section break (including the continuous section break itself) then go to File - Page Setup - Layout - Next to ?Section Start? choose ?New Page". This will change the continuous section break to a new page section break. Then just delete the new page section break. BAM your done

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!
by TADAECOM / November 1, 2011 10:04 PM PDT

You are my HERO!!! This is a problem that has been troublesome for me and numerous colleagues!

Thank you!

Collapse -
I tried this... and it worked for me.
by rlabilles / January 17, 2011 8:39 AM PST

Im running WinXP, Office 2003 also.
1. Place a section break (next page) before and after the section break (continuous).
2. Delete the section break (next page) after the section break (continuous).
3. Now delete the section break (continuous).

Hope this works for others who encounter the same problem...

Collapse -
Possible Solution
by sloopgurl / August 17, 2011 1:47 AM PDT

I just had this problem. I was also tracking changes within the document at the time. I had 2 section breaks where my problem on. One deleted normally. The other, I put my cursor on it, then right click chose "Accept Deletion" and then the 2nd section break went away without changing anything else in my document. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Track Changes was my problem!
by CNETshines / May 24, 2012 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible Solution

The track changes bit was what I needed! Section breaks had been deleted but weren't showing as deleted until I accepted those changes! Thanks for mentioning that!! Thank you, thank you I have been trying to solve this for a loooong time. I understand that it's by design, but I didn't think of it! Thanks again, profuse thanks for mentioning that Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.