Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Unable to receive ?Buzz Out Loud?

by tonyjk36 / March 16, 2006 / 4:06 PM UTC

Since March 7, I have been unable to down load through itunes, any buzz out load podcast. All my other subcriptions come through fine. Has anyone else had this problem. The list updates but will not download. The error says "the network connection was refused". I am on a cable modem so it's not a firewall issue. Can anyone offer a suggestion. I even tried "Juice" but it wouldn't download either. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to receive ?Buzz Out Loud?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to receive ?Buzz Out Loud?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try resubscribing
by adkinsjm / March 16, 2006 / 6:36 PM UTC

Delete the feed and resubscribe.

Collapse -
Still unable
by tonyjk36 / March 16, 2006 / 6:52 PM UTC
In reply to: Try resubscribing

I tried that 3 times, It's funny when I refresh my podcasts it updates the episodes but still unable to download

Collapse -
work?
by earlysound / March 16, 2006 / 7:48 PM UTC
In reply to: Still unable

are you doing this from home or work?

Collapse -
Home
by tonyjk36 / March 17, 2006 / 12:38 PM UTC
In reply to: work?

Home

Collapse -
I am having the same problem
by kdtaylor / March 16, 2006 / 6:52 PM UTC

I haven't been able to get BOL since March 10th show. I have deleted and resubscribed. The shows show up in iTunes but the shows will not dowlonad. Every other subscription is iTunes is working OK. I am stumped.

Collapse -
Stumpped 2
by tonyjk36 / March 16, 2006 / 6:53 PM UTC

Me too

Collapse -
ISP?
by adkinsjm / March 16, 2006 / 10:03 PM UTC

What is your isp and are both people who have problems have the same isp?

Collapse -
an idea...
by ph3Ar / March 16, 2006 / 10:24 PM UTC
In reply to: ISP?

cnet could try creating a filesharing link so that other podcast listeners could send podcasts to each other when they encounter problems. (this is just an idea)

Collapse -
MP3 is always available
by acedtect / March 17, 2006 / 3:34 PM UTC
In reply to: an idea...
Collapse -
My ISP is Cox Communication in the Florida Panhandle
by kdtaylor / March 17, 2006 / 7:26 AM UTC

On iTunes, I unsubscribed to BOL and then I resubscribed. I was able to download all of the shows up to the 3/10 through 3/16 show. Everything else works OK. I don't think it is my ISP, but I wanted to answer your question.

Collapse -
ISP
by tonyjk36 / March 17, 2006 / 12:42 PM UTC

Comcast is my ISP. I am getting all other podcasts, just not BOL

Collapse -
I can not get the current episodes with iPodder
by kdtaylor / March 17, 2006 / 8:05 AM UTC

I reinstalled iPodder and tried to download the episodes from March 10 to March 16. This doesn't work, either. I can download the older episodes with iPodder, though. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
blocking
by earlysound / March 17, 2006 / 1:47 PM UTC

you must be blocking some kind of port or something. we test with iPodder (Juice), iTunes, Bloglines and other aggregators off-site (from outside of the CNET firewall) and all work fine.

anyone know anything about firewalls or ports that might help?

V

Collapse -
blocking
by tonyjk36 / March 17, 2006 / 3:12 PM UTC
In reply to: blocking

I wish that was a valid problem, but if it is a firewall issue it is upstream from me. I am able to get all other podcasts just not BOL, I even get the list of BOL podcasts just can't download them. I tried un-subscribing and re-subscribing but no-joy!!!!!

Collapse -
iTunes says "The network connection was refused"
by kdtaylor / March 17, 2006 / 5:31 PM UTC
In reply to: blocking

Thanks for your input on possible blocked ports. I could be wrong, but, I do not think that this is the problem. I can download the Buzz Report video and all of my other iTunes subscriptions are updating after 3/10/06 which was the date that I started having problems with BOL. I get the BOL show title, the date of the podcast, and the show notes as well as the length of the show. However, the show will not download from the 3/10/06 episode onward. When I resubscribed to BOL in iTunes, the episodes prior to 3/10/06 downloaded again with no problem. Obviously, something insignificant has changed, but I don't know which end it is coming from. Thanks for your concern. I guess I could always download the MP3's the old fashioned way. However, I am having exactly the same problem when using iPodder. When we figure it out, we will all learn something from this. Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Something on both ends
by acedtect / March 17, 2006 / 7:48 PM UTC

I've noticed our tracking system has been rarely timing out on some links, which I blame for some of the issues reported. Yours seems to be the most severe. I think something in our tracking URL is combining with some unknown issue on you or your ISP's side to equal total failure.

I suspect this because the tracking URL is the same for everyone but we're seeing only a small percentage of issues and very few as severe as yours.

Collapse -
It allstarted on 3/7 pcast
by tonyjk36 / March 17, 2006 / 8:32 PM UTC
In reply to: Something on both ends

I got 3/6 podcast just fine. I haven't changed anything on my home system since then. I am still receiving all my other podcasts. I would think it might be a problem with my ISP but I am not the only one, and we are on different ISP's given that, What has changed at CNET?

Collapse -
Right
by acedtect / March 17, 2006 / 8:37 PM UTC

The only thing that has changed is that we implemented the new tracking link. So my guess is that something on your end doesn't like that new method of tracking. It works with a redirect.

So nothing would have changed on your end but something doesn't like what we did on ours. Something different than the other folks not having issues. That's what I'm hoping to track down.

Collapse -
DNS Issue
by adkinsjm / March 18, 2006 / 11:05 AM UTC
In reply to: Right

It could be a DNS issue for the listener's isp's. I had some problems with getting to a couple of sites with an isp I had, when I could use the same pc with a different isp and get the sites. Same principle with podcasts, since it uses http.

I would suggest contacting your isp, but it would be a tough sell unless you actually got someone who was a network administrator. Tough job with large isp's since the level 1 support tends to put every problem on the user.

Collapse -
DNS Servers
by tonyjk36 / March 18, 2006 / 3:44 PM UTC
In reply to: DNS Issue

I tried different DNS servers but it didn't help. It was a good thought.

Collapse -
ISP or server
by adkinsjm / March 18, 2006 / 4:34 PM UTC
In reply to: DNS Servers

Something with the isp or CNET's server is blocking the redirect I then. Weird issue, but hopefully if it's on CNET's end, they would fix it in a quicker fashion.

Collapse -
Issues with Winamp since Mar 7th
by DLBN-Shawn / March 18, 2006 / 12:03 PM UTC

I don't know if this is related but I've been having some troubles also. I've been trying to download the podcast via Winamp as I normally do - however, ever since March 7th Winamp seems to be naming all the shows "file.mp3" rather than the normal naming structure. When I go to get the next show it overwrites the first show and creates a new "file.mp3". All other podcasts work fine so I'm totally at a loss as to what's going on. Very weird!!

Shawn

Collapse -
is it related to the long file names?
by beelissa / March 20, 2006 / 1:11 PM UTC

I know it says this is fixed, but I wondered -- it seems the problems started about the time the long filenames started. I wonder if some of the programs can't handle them?

All is okay at my end.

Collapse -
Long file names???
by DLBN-Shawn / March 20, 2006 / 9:19 PM UTC

Which long file names? I haven't seen anything other than the standard - did it change? I did notice that when looking at the beta Buzz site that when you go to manually download the show it tries to save as "file.mp3". Very odd and it's driving me insane as I'm getting late for work as a result of trying to download all these files manually and then rename each one - argh!

Somebody Help! Happy

Collapse -
I just tried to download BOL podcasts using Juice 2.2
by kdtaylor / March 19, 2006 / 9:16 AM UTC

I appreciate earlysound's comments about using different subscription software. If you subscribe to BOL using Juice 2.2, you can see that when DES7557 says that his problems began with the 3/07 episode, the server settings were changed. When I started having problems receiving BOL via iTunes on 3/10, the server settings had been changed, again. I think that this shows that the problem has not been on the listener's end. Also, when I went to the new BOL beta web site and tried to right click to download the episodes, I got an error message saying the connection was refused. This was true of each episode down to the 3/10 episode. When I right clicked the 3/09 episode, it downloaded fine. This is not a rant. I am in the Florida Panhandle on Cox Communication. However, I honestly don't think that the problem is with my connection. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
I hear you
by acedtect / March 19, 2006 / 10:08 AM UTC

I think the primary problem is definitely on our side, but I'm trying to figure out why it's problem for some but not all people. That implies something is different with yours and others connection that doesn't play nice with our tracking system.

Helping to figure out what that is will help me get it fixed on our end.

So don't get me wrong, me and V aren't trying to push blame off on the ISPs, we're just trying to figure this out.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help
by kdtaylor / March 19, 2006 / 11:29 AM UTC
In reply to: I hear you

Sorry to be a bother when only a few people seem to be affected. However, the bright side is that we are passionate about receiving our daily "fix" of BOL. When we resolve this issue, please fully disclose what happened so that we can all learn from this.

Collapse -
Absolutely
by acedtect / March 19, 2006 / 4:07 PM UTC
In reply to: Thanks for your help

All this feedback is invaluable!

Collapse -
IT'S FIXED. BOL is downloading once more (using ITunes)
by tonyjk36 / March 19, 2006 / 4:39 PM UTC

I figured out the problem. I tried to ping DW.COM.COM and it came back 127.0.0.1. I suspected that it might be a HOSTS file issue. I looked in the HOSTS file for DW.COM.COM and there it was. I deleted that entry and it started to download. I hope this will help others. Please pass this on. It might help.

Collapse -
Glad you have fixed it.
by kdtaylor / March 20, 2006 / 9:28 AM UTC

I have pinged dw.com.com and got a legitimate ip address and response. I will keep plugging away at it. It appears that I am getting a couple of hearing ears about my problem on the CNET side.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon