Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Unable To Print Specfic Word Document

by h_blits / January 7, 2008 2:53 AM PST

I have a friend who can't print a WORD attachment I sent them. She can print other documents fine on two of her printers but she can't seem to be able to print this one. There is no hidden text or white font on the document. I can even run it through my own printer with no problems..But she can't print my document at her end. It's a mystery to me. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable To Print Specfic Word Document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable To Print Specfic Word Document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"She can't print this document."
by Kees Bakker / January 7, 2008 3:18 AM PST

Tell more on why she can't and what happens if she tries.

- Any particular things on this particular document?
- How is print preview?
- What version(s) of Word (with you and with her)?
- "Other documents" = her own or also comparable documents sent by you?
- Save as .rtf, then open. Printable now?
- Tried Open Office Writer to print?
- Can she print to pdf (using Cutepdf or a similar program)? Result?

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / January 7, 2008 6:27 AM PST

What brand/model of printer ?
What operating system ?
Did she print direct ? Save the attachment first.
Was she able to open the Word attachment ?
Does your document contain macros ? Tell her to try lowering Word's "macro security". (Tools>Options. Security tab...)

Collapse -
I agree about email attachments.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: Also...

Generally you would "save" an attachment to the hard disk first, (eg the Desktop as a temporary place), then open it from there after virus checking it, and then printing it.

What error messages does she get when she tries to print?

Collapse -
Can't Print One Specific Word File
by h_blits / January 8, 2008 1:27 AM PST

She doesn't get an error message...She clicks on the print panel...gets that up OK...When she clicks OK to start the print process..nothing happens after that...Curiously...I tried to print it on my Windows machine and had the same problem...and it was only with that word other word files had that problem...just that one file...I'm wondering if there is something corrupt in that file to prevent it from printing...It does print on my MAC there may be some issue with the Mac to Windows crossover...I have MAC Microsoft Office 2004 and she has Windows Microsoft Office 2003...There shouldn't be any problems because I always send her stuff from my MAC to her Windows and she is able to open the file and print it with no problems...Just this one file.

Collapse -
Printer Selection
by entrecon / January 8, 2008 1:55 AM PST

When the Print Dialog comes up, is the correct printer selected?

If you open the document, do a Select All, Copy it and paste it into a new document can you print it?

Collapse -
Document does not print.
by h_blits / January 8, 2008 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Printer Selection

1. Yes the correct printer is selected
2. We tried copy and paste onto another new document and strangely enough it still did not print.
Very mysterious!!!

Collapse -
Mysterious indeed.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 8, 2008 3:30 AM PST

Try this, (if you haven't already).

Send your friend another copy of this document. Make sure it prints from your MAC first, then send it. It may be that something got lost during the send/receive process.

Collapse -
Document would not print
by h_blits / January 8, 2008 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Mysterious indeed.

Yes, we did that as well...turned out the same...Simply would not print..
Thanks for you persistence...appreciate it....

Collapse -
Document would not print
by Spooku777 / January 8, 2008 9:40 AM PST

My colleague had a similar problem recently. Same scenario, sent him a few attachments, one wouldn't print. We are both on Windows Vista so no system may not be the issue.

In our instance it turned out that it was something do with images and track changes. Once he saved the document to his hard drive, opened it in Word and turned off track changes THEN he could print it.

Try turning off track changes then re-send your document to your friend and see if that works.

Hope that's of some use. Happy

Collapse -
try dis
by antony.sunny / September 11, 2009 2:44 PM PDT

I too had the same problem with 2003 document..i tried printing using office 2007 it worked...i also tried a different solution it might look starnge 4 u..i created a new document saved it and gave a print to make sure its working..after doing so i copied the contents to the saved document and tried printing worked..but i did nt understand the logic behind it

Collapse -
possible logic behind "try dis"
by Brecht Bocket / September 8, 2015 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: try dis

in my case, I had to remove the € sign from the document name before I was able to print. I presume it had noting to do with word because the document came visible in my printer queue. I guess my printer had trouble with the document because it did not recognize the €-sign in my document name. So make sure you remove any special characters before printing.

Collapse -
unable to print specific word document
by Aneeliyo / March 8, 2010 10:40 AM PST

Even thought its old post. I am posting a solution which I tried by myself for this problem. In MS Word I cant print all other documents except 1 particular and I tried hard to search online help but could not find any and I kept trying....Here is what I did..

Save As <Newfilename>

Document type <Select word97-2003 rtf)

and Ok
and I was able to print

Collapse -
My solution
by LoopHole20 / May 13, 2011 9:54 PM PDT

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had the same problem with a document I was working on and tried most of the above to no luck. The only way I got it to print was to open a new word document and copy over the content from the non-working document, and hey-presto it sent to the printer!

Collapse -
My solution
by jeroenmaes78 / June 5, 2012 11:45 PM PDT

Very old issue, but today I had the same problem: one single word document is not printing.
=> Tried to save as different document, different format (rtf), copy paste, different printer... nothing worked.
The document would print preview, but never entered in a printer cue.

My solution: opened the .doc with OpenOffice 3.4 and it printed without a glitch!
I'm guessing it was somewhere a conversion error because someone already edited the document with OpenOffice or so...

Collapse -
Excel docs won't print
by sophieplb1 / January 8, 2013 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: My solution

i cannot print any Excel documents sent to me. it doesnt seem to matter if i save them on the hard drive, or open them up in the email. They act like they're being sent to the printer; the printer starts flashing that it's receiving a document. Then the printer stops. there are no doc's in the print que. if i save it using a different name - still won't print. i have to copy each Excel worksheet to a new file, reformat the worksheet, then print. Also noted - all Word and Excel docs seem to be 'locked' somehow - Every doc requires me to "enable editing" to save or prin. Word is printing fine (once i "enable editing"). i've got a new laptop, with W7 and microsoft 2010 software. any suggestions?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.