Computer Help forum

Unable to open shortcuts on my desktop

by Big Steve / December 19, 2011 7:33 AM PST

I don't know what happened but today I cannot open up any of the shortcuts on my desktop. Usually a right click will do it but today, nothing. I did a total shut down then powered back up and I still cannot open up my shortcuts, none of them. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to open shortcuts on my desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to open shortcuts on my desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
OS and version?
by KenHusveg / December 19, 2011 7:55 AM PST

Have you installed, uninstalled or downloaded any files recently? Hardware changes?

Collapse -
Re: Clarification request: OS and version?
by Big Steve / December 19, 2011 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: OS and version?

I installed some new updates from CNET TechTracker. My laptop's OS is Windows Vista Premium 32 bit, my current browser was Google Chrome but I'm back to using IE9 since I cannot open up the shortcut on my desktop for Google Chrome which I like better than IE9. Can you help me out here?

All Answers

Collapse -
Which Operating System?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 8:31 AM PST

For Windows XP:

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column). RIGHT click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose "Save Target As " or "Save Link As", to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

Click on the link below, then look to the "EXE File Association Fix", and download the .zip file to your computer desktop.. ONce there, unzip the file, then double click on the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file that is inside, choose "OK/Yes, when it asks "Are you sure?".. Restart the computer.. It should now run those problem programs and Control Panel icons.

Or... For Windows 7...

Here's a link which should help. Start with the .LNK or .EXE fix first..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Which Operating System?
by Big Steve / December 19, 2011 8:34 AM PST

The OS on this Dell Vostro 1510 laptop is Windows Vista Premium 32 bit.

Collapse -
Re: Which Operating System?
by Big Steve / December 19, 2011 5:30 PM PST

Late last night rather than do another shut down I did a restart and that seemed to take care of my problem because everything is working now. I can right click on any of the icons on my laptop's desktop and they open up once again which is good. Happy

Collapse -
It Worked
by Mad_Ducks / July 11, 2012 11:32 AM PDT

I have been trying to figure out what happed to all my short cuts as one day they just stopped....I have been to several sites trying what they said to do and nothing worked until I found your post. Thanks for the help!!!

Collapse -
And Because Malware Frequently Causes Such....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: It Worked
Collapse -
Junk found
by Mad_Ducks / July 13, 2012 1:27 AM PDT

Amazing on how much junk these two malware removal tools found.

Thanks for the info! All seems to be working great now....

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 13, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Junk found
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.