Samsung forum

General discussion

Unable to manually add channels.

by zox2020 / January 6, 2009 11:17 PM PST

I have a plasma 2008 Samsung PN50A550. I use an ota antenna with rotator due to several transmitters in my area. Channels are missed when memorizing depending on which transmitter the antenna is pointed at, and the PN50A550 does not allow manually adding channels. I do not want to have to memorize channels every time the antenna is rotated. Any suggestions? I'm new to HDTV but I am trying to learn. Would a stand alone HDTV tuner, allowing the manual addition of channels, placed between tv and antenna solve my problem? And would audio and video be degraded compared to what the tv tuner supplies?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to manually add channels.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to manually add channels.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Page 42
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2009 4:45 PM PST

I apologize for my late response. I've been in meetings and at iCES and I'm finally catching up. Any followups should be relatively faster. Happy

Page 42 in the manual lists out how to add and delete channels. What you may do is point the antenna at the broadcast tower that is sending the signal and once you get the picture, add the channel in that way.

I'm not sure if a tuner box would do a better job, but it is an option.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Unable to MANUALLY add channels to PN50A400.
by ChrisMartin1977 / January 26, 2009 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Page 42

MY tv isn't finding channels that come in perfectly on other tvs from the same source, how can I manually force it to program a channel? If autoprogram doesn't get it.

Collapse -
This may help
by ParachuteMender / January 27, 2009 3:02 AM PST

I'm not aware why you cant add a channels manually. In order for this to work, you need to know the ACTUAL on-air channel the digital station is on and since you mentioned a rotor you already know you will need to turn it to receive channels even after you add them based on the direction of the transmitter unless using a multi directional antenna. After you do the scan for the majority, rotate the antenna to the transmitter like you normally would and manually add them to receive the strays. Find a list of television stations in North America here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_television_stations_in_North_America

Remember to add the channel the digital station is on. For example if you wanted to add Los Angeles KNBC channel 4 you would point the antenna in the direction of their transmitter (unless using a multi directional antenna) and you would input channel 36 in this case on your remote in turn the tv will take me to channel 4. If you tried to input 4 it wouldn't.

Now go to the tvs on screen channel list menu and the channel should NOW be there on the list, save it if its not already saved.

Remember if your not using a multi directional antenna you will not receive a signal unless you point to the transmitter but the channel should still be there. Post back if this helped you as it may help others here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.