AVG

General discussion

unable to install AVG

by Rusty_Smith / November 9, 2010 10:14 AM PST

I have an HP/Compaq nc6000 Laptop with Windows XP operating system with Service Pack 2.

At that time I had AVG Free which always seemed to work fine until I clicked on an add on the right side of the page and apparently opened the door for a virus. A friend loaded a different Malware program which I ran over and over until I thought I had it taken care of but apparently it deleted something that was needed to complete the Installation because almost at the end of the Install it comes up with the following Error Code and Error Message.

Error Code: 0xC0070643
Error Message: General Internal Error
Additional Message: MSI Engine: Failed to Install the Product.
Context: AVG Product Installation

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to install AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to install AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to install AVG
by Ondrej_AVG / November 9, 2010 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: unable to install AVG

Hello Rusty_Smith,

Please provide us with AVG installation logs - upload them to a favorite online storage and provide us with link.

This MSI error is global and has no exact culprit stored in it. That's we need the log to find the error line in.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG Destroyed my PC as well and they wont help me
by tresatwins / November 9, 2010 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: unable to install AVG

I used the free trial version and everything worked fine. When the trial was over i was getting a warning my license for AVG had expired. So i tried to uninstall it and I got an error message that is was not able to uninstall. I have tried numerous times and it will not work. I tried opening the AVG help page but it reads I do not have a valid license. I have no protection on my PC so I bought another virus protector and tried to install it but it wont allow me to because of the AVG. Now I am having all sorts of trouble with my PC. It freezes which it has never done. I had to do a recovery just so I could get online to write this. I have sent them numerous emails . I have not gotten one response . Each time they ask what my license is and state help for AVG customers . i guess because mine was a free trial its ok it ruined my PC. I have a Compaq Presario with windows Vista and the AVG i used was 2011. I just want my PC back . How do I get this AVG off my computer so I can download the one I bought ? My husband says it looks like they are trying to give us no option but to purchase their virus protector . Isn't that illegal ?

Collapse -
Re: AVG Destroyed my PC as well and they wont help me
by Ondrej_AVG / November 9, 2010 5:41 PM PST

Hello tresatwins,

we have no similar reports about behavior after expiration of AVG Trial.

Please check this sticky post at AVG Free Forums about AVG removal procedure through AVG Remover.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.