Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Unable to get online - problem Macaffee or other firewall?

by evennewerbie / April 27, 2014 3:34 AM PDT

I have asked this on a different CNET forum but not got any reply.

I can no longer get onto Internet with my (Acer Aspire) netbook. Either with Firefox or other browsers.

When I try I get

"Problem loading page.
! The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading...

And it's not that the netbook won't communicate wirelessly - I can print from it and while the above blockage held I was still able to browse normally via an installed proxy (Proxify). So from the netbook I can make some wireless connections. (Unfortunately I can't use the Proxy either now because I removed that in the course of my playing with it, and I guess I can't get it back till I get internet generally back.)

Firefox advises that this can be due to being blocked by a firewall and you have to create an appropriate exception. I remember playing with these things in the past, disabling and re-enabling. And seeing I had exceptions in the Macaffee firewall for Firefox + GoogleChrome + IE. Firefox further advises that when you have behaviour like I've got you may need to disable the exception and then re-enable it. But now when I go to Firewall I can't find any trace of either the exceptions or where you control them from which I remember doing - I have spent many hours on it, read instructions...

Has anyone any suggestions of what the problem is and how I can get back to ordinary functioning?

I am still with XP btw . But I can't start to think about changing that if I can't get online.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to get online - problem Macaffee or other firewall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to get online - problem Macaffee or other firewall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
When Norton and others expire
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

They can cause that block (for your protection?)

As to the Proxy, well that's a can of worms. Get it working normally first.

Collapse -
But how?
by evennewerbie / April 27, 2014 5:43 AM PDT

What do i do?

Collapse -
Maybe the question was
by evennewerbie / April 27, 2014 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: But how?

Maybe check firewall expired? It's Macaffee and it has not expired.

Collapse -
How I check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2014 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe the question was

I remove all such items, do the NETSH work and get it working normally. However as XP has passed to the non-support realm I reserve my work to also include restore to a fresh install if repairs fail. You can spend an entire day troubleshooting or an hour on a re-install.

Collapse -
Try the usual
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2014 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: But how?

Remove expired products, proxy and head to a stock setup.

After removal, use XP's "NETSH RESET" (see google if you forgot.)

Bear in mind that I think that XP users are now well seasoned, ready to reinstall at a moment's notice. It days are over, no more patches so be ready for when it breaks.

Collapse -
Forgot! - you're joking?
by evennewerbie / May 2, 2014 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual

Forgot!! That's a really good one ROTFL.

Sorry, what you say doesn't sound right to me. I make a mistake probably to do with firewall and I have to revolutionize the computer? Anyway I have finally found where what i called the 'exceptions' and that I asked where to look for were hiding - a place called "internet connections for programs". Inside there is Firefox. It says Complete and Active. I have also tried it Complete and Inactive, which made more sense to me - I don't want the firewall to be active in blocking Firefox access. It gives options Modify Add Eliminate. I think these are the things I played with earlier to stop the firewall blocking, but now it seems to make no difference whether these things are active or inactive. What should I do with these things and in what state should they be?

For uninstalling these things, I read you can't really uninstall IE so I did start by uninstalling Google Chrome, then I got cold feet. I did find this NETSH RESET you talk of on the net (I did also find someone calls it 'the nuclear option', confirming my impression) and it has apart from incomprehensible gobbledygook about how to DIY, an icon to do it for you. But I can't do that on my computer BECAUSE I CANT CONNECT TO INTERNET so this is going round in circles (I saw the thing on my iPad).

Ah but you say it is in XP. Where do I find it? I searched my computer and failed to do so.

I don't know how to attach any operative meaning to what you tell me to do.

Collapse -
Sadly yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 11:03 AM PDT

NETSH RESET is not a nuclear reset. Once in a while you find a client that will rail against the usual and then you opt for a full OS install. They really can't afford the alternative.

Collapse -
Been there, not done that
by evennewerbie / May 4, 2014 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly yes.

Oof, I have now been to various places that talk about this NETSH and tried the incantations written there.
They tell you in various ways to go to a place called Command and write a spell like
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Have done (despite queasy feeling that afterwards they are going to ask me for passwords and data I do not know).

All I get is "netsh is not recognised as a command... (nor as anything else)"

Still headbash!

Collapse -
Re: netsh
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 4, 2014 10:55 PM PDT

The program netsh.exe should be in the c:\windows\system32 folder. Is it? Easy to see in Windows Explorer.
And c:\windows\system32 should be in the path (with me it's the first entry if I type path in the command processor). Is it?

Collapse -
I found that, I found it!
by evennewerbie / May 12, 2014 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: netsh

I found 6 files called NETSH.
One is an Application.
Two other area extensions of the application
The three others call themselves File DX..., FileDI..., File DI...

I clicked on the Application.
It told me Impossible to identify the component. framedyne.dll was not found. A new installation of the application could resolve the problem.

This is all getting rather ridiculous now.

One last attempt.

I have to uninstall - what? Just my browsers?
I have to download NETSH onto a pen on someone else's computer. And maybe this framedyne, boh. I also have to similarly download bel arc. This will be necessary to recreate my installed programs later with least trouble? What I already saved using Todo will not do this ? I am not sure what it does do. I don't have many programs on the netbook but I could do without hassle of reinstalling them. My data files are not a problem, tI have copies.

I have to do anything via memory via someone else's computer because I cannot connect to Internet. Maybe not because of Firewalls after all, because when I inactivated them I still had the same inability.

All this was merely an interruption in trying to transfer from XP to Windows 7, see thread Windows XP forum: XP to 7 migration headbang by: evennewerbie April 13, 2014 8:38 AM PDT

There is a $30 program I am told of called Laplink that promises to do this - actually to do most of the above farrago as well, I wonder again now much of the rest of the above hassle is necessary. Also is there a free program to transfer?

I am pretty confused. Can someone set out for me what to do in what order?

Collapse -
Given the web articles on using NETSH RESET
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2014 1:52 PM PDT

I think in this case it's best for you to use the support you have in the past. At least you can mention to them to try netsh reset next or first.

Collapse -
As Kees noted, but let me add this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2014 11:22 PM PDT

There was some malware that would delete such so as to make correcting and ejecting the bad software harder.

As to your second concern, you know now to start fixing that before you lose more information.

Collapse -
"You know now to start fixing..."
by evennewerbie / May 6, 2014 8:33 PM PDT

before I lose more information.

I have written down the 25-character 'activation code MS office' which I guess I will need to reinstall my paid-for MS office later.
Plus two other 25-character sequences picked up in the course of getting it

Are there any other codes and numbers I need before cutting the painter? And if so how do I find them? I do not remember putting a password on the netbook itself as I already knew this could do me more harm than good, but if I did...?

Collapse -
Other codes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2014 2:01 AM PDT

Some of the more common ones are in a BELARC ADVISOR report. Because of bad folk I'm going to direct link more often. In the past I'd let folk find it on their own.

Collapse -
All very well except...
by evennewerbie / May 8, 2014 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Other codes.

Look I have been doing things PREPARATORY to switching OS for a good three weeks now. I have downloaded about 4 programs already as part of the run in to doing it. People tell me to throw money instead of time away. My netbook dates back to 2011! Sure there are slimmer ones now. I just want to buy a new one when I decide, not when Microsoft tells me. Maybe I'll change the operation system THEN throw it away dammit!

Now you tell me I need to download yet another program before switching, this Bellarc.

If you confirm that this will give me something useful additional to what I saved via the Easus Todo previously I will willingly do that too.

There is just one problem.

To download anything to my netbook I need to get online with it don't I?

And I started this thread because I cannot get online! See post 1.

I have reason to believe that the problem is the firewalls, between Windows and Macaffee, and I would like to be told, and I need to be told what to set all the relevant settings where and how, or at least the most probable ones. I find Macaffee instructions difficult to understand and the terminology highly ambiguous, anything might mean the opposite of what I guess.

In the meantime my netbook has gone wobbly, there is a flashing hourglass all the time never seen before, and I do not seem able any more to do some non-online tasks like printing.

Collapse -
When that happens
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2014 12:31 AM PDT

I download on a good machine to a memory stick for later use. You did ask for how to find more codes and this one is very good. OK, let's say you want to find these without helpful apps. Sorry but that's beyond what I can discuss here. That is, such is buried and encoded in the registry so it's not possible to make it easier than what Belarc does for free.

Small world. That is I'm preparing an old office machine for its new owner. The good news is that we only need to wipe it out. Even if it didn't boot Windows we don't care as it's a donation.

Collapse -
Half done that - then what do I do?
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Other codes.

I downloaded and installed bellarc onto another computer.
Then I copied it onto a pendrive. First time I have ever copied a program from one device towards another.

What am I supposed to do then? Do I use it to copy data of the netbook onto the pendrive? Or backup the computer data IN the netbook using the program?

In either case how?

Meanwhile I discovered in the recesses of the netbook a thing to do what people have been telling me to do maybe called "Acer eRecovery management". A section of this promises to restore The OS as at purchase and conserve user's data. It says the user's files will be transferred into C\backup. When I clicked that it warns that all user files will be overwritten and further click further warnings no programs installed since purchase will be conserved.
This in agreement with what you have told me.

So what do I do now?
I see 5 files on Belarc Advisor: System, Belarc Advisor, INSTALL, PC-HP.bel, Uninstall.
INSTALL is a text file with some alarming-sounding things on it.
When I click Belarc Advisor it says Unable to start. It may not be installed properly.

What do i now?

Collapse -
The file you need is advisorinstaller.exe
by wpgwpg / May 16, 2014 3:20 AM PDT

I don't know what those other files you mentioned are, but the file you want is called advisorinstaller.exe. You download it from belarc.com.

Collapse -
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 5:28 AM PDT

The one I was talking about is called BellarcAdvisor which sounds close.
Do I need yet another one?

Collapse -
Why not backup now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2014 3:31 AM PDT

It's not as if that was ever optional. Drives die, virus or other issues wipe out machines daily. Be ready.

Collapse -
It would be the third time
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not backup now?

I have now weeks ago backed up in the sense saved all data files on a separate disk and then again with the Todo thing I was told about here and am now trying to do what you told me to save the programs using this bellarc. I have followed instructions to the point reported where I do not know what to do next.

These things which are probably obvious to computer people maybe they can't understand how they are totally baffling to normal Grin people; so the former may benefit from my explaining how.

Collapse -
To get Belarc Advisor for Windows...
by wpgwpg / May 16, 2014 5:40 AM PDT

...you need to download advisorinstaller.exe. You download it from belarc.com. I'm not sure why you're confused about that, but I've been using Belarc Advisor for over 10 years, and I assure you it's what you need for Windows computers to run Belarc Advisor.

Collapse -
I'd already done that
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 7:10 AM PDT

Now I went where you told me. It is exactly the same place where R Proffitt sent me earlier. I had already downloaded from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html into another computer. It installed onto that other computer, so I guess this .exe must be there is that right? on this other computer I see C:\programmi\Bellarc\BellarcAdvisor
I went to Internet to find out how to to copy a program to another computer.
I found
How can you transfer a program onto a flash drive using windows xp ...

I did this

Go to the location of the file on your computer.
Right-Click it and then press copy.
Go to Start, My Computer
Then find the icon of the flash drive you inserted.
Double Click it.
Right-click anywhere in the window that pops up and click paste.

I reported the result. I do not know what I have to do now.

I repeat what I am now trying to do is, on a netbook which has lost all connections, before reinstalling the old (XP) OS so I can connect with the net, I am trying as I have been advised to, to save later trouble by saving programs.

Now I think about it maybe now I am proceeding via other computers I don't need to restore the previous OS, I could install Windows 7 directly on the netbook, which was my final objective when I started this oddessy time ago? Is that good thinking?

The program I have been told for this on another thread is PCmover by Laplink. It costs $30 and I need to do it on 2 computers. I asked if there is anything free which is as good?

But for the netbook whatever I do has to proceed via another computer because of the connection problem #1. If I knew how to load a program directly onto a pendrive instead of the other computer's C disk that would save some troublesome steps.

Collapse -
You can't copy an installed program...
by wpgwpg / May 16, 2014 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd already done that

...you have to copy the program that does the install. Anything else will lead you down a blind alley. Do you know someone who knows more about computers than you? It sounds like you need some help.

Collapse -
It's worse than that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2014 7:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
That bad huh?
by wpgwpg / May 16, 2014 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It's worse than that.

Wow, that's definitely bad, Bob! Mischief You've got me thinking about going to confession just thinking about copying an installed program, and I'm not even catholic. Confused

Collapse -
It sounds like I need some help?
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 7:35 PM PDT

"It sounds like you need some help"

Does it really? I am trying to make it sound like I came here for that.

"Do you know someone who knows more about computers than you?"

I an mentally writing a script about getting that sort of help for the Edinburgh comedy writers festival, and I am getting some material and inspiration here. Sad

Collapse -
The Third Time at what? Backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2014 6:00 AM PDT

For me that's an every other day occurrence and some things I have on dropbox so that's synced as I boot up.

This sort of failure is sadly common (the internet is broken) so there's no single cause or cure but if the hardware is all good we have some things to try but here we are at 20+ posts and I can't tell if the basics were tried.

One of them had you apparently questioning if it was a nuclear option (NETSH RESET) so what else to do but restore the machine to its factory condition? If the machine's hardware is good it will work again.

Collapse -
I am trying
by evennewerbie / May 16, 2014 7:21 AM PDT

I am trying and failing to do what you told me which is before restoring the OS or better, getting a new one, to save the programs. Every small step trying to follow advice and instructions just seems to lead to just another problem. Sad

Collapse -
"save the programs" is a discussion on its own.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2014 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I am trying

Starting in 1995 Microsoft made some big changes and saving a program is no longer a trivial matter.

I wish I didn't get the feeling from you that NETSH RESET was nuclear. It's a basic repair tool.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.