Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Unable to download Service Pack 1

by Mary T-205113508737904897 / April 14, 2008 4:30 AM PDT

Service Pack 1 never showed up in my Windows Update, so I attempted to download the version for 64 bit Vista manually. A message appeared saying I did not have the languages installed that I needed to download the service pack. I installed from Windows Update the English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish language packs, then tried again. This time I got the message "Windows Vista Service Pack 1 cannot be installed on your computer because the language of Windows Vista you have installed is not supported or you have installed a language pack that is not supported. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 can only be installed on computers running the English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish versions of Windows Vista or computers running only those language packs."
Please can anyone advise me on what to do next?
I have a 64 bit computer with Vista Ultimate.
Thanks, Mary T

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to download Service Pack 1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to download Service Pack 1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Languages Do You Have Installed On Vista????
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 8:06 AM PDT

At this time, Vista's SP1 is only being released for English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish(traditional). Unfortunately, I don't see that your post mentioned which languages you have installed other than those mentioned.. If you happen to have a language on the computer which isn't supported, then it won't install. You might try uninstalling the unsupported language...or....

Later releases will include other languages..

...And since SP1 didn't show up in Windows Updates, did you visit the Windows Updates site and install all the listed hardware driver updates for your 64 bit machine?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re Service Pack 1

Thanks for your reply Grif. The only language packs I have installed are the ones you mention. Also the drivers are all up to date. I have spent a lot of time trying to get the download to install and am not sure what to do next. Incidentially, since downloading the language packs, when I right click anywhere on the screen and the box appears with the paste, copy, etc options, it is in the German language. I have checked and all options are set for English.
Perhaps the fault lies with this computer?
Thanks, Mary T

Collapse -
Just Making Sure......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re Service Pack 1

..and I'm not on a Vista machine at this moment, but the instrucgtions below should help you verify and remove any of the unneeded languages. You should also be able check for and remove any of the languages you don't need:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, click Regional and Language Options, and then click Change display language.
3. On the Keyboard and Languages tab, click Install/uninstall languages under Display language. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. In Choose to install or remove languages, click Remove languages.
Under Select the languages that you want to remove, select the language that you want to remove, and then click Next.
5. Click the language that you want to remove, and then click Remove.

To simply change the display language for your menu issue, try the instructions in the link below:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Service Pack 1 downloaded O.K.
by Mary T-205113508737904897 / April 15, 2008 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Just Making Sure......

Service Pack 1 downloaded fine this morning. However I still had a problem with the language. When I turned the computer on and right clicked the info box was in English, but as soon as I went onto any website and right clicked the language in the box appeared in German. I followed the link you sent me Grif, and carefully followed the instructions, but it did not rectify the problem. I uninstalled the Microsoft German Pack and everything was in English again. So that has sorted my problem out satisfactorily. I was worried that I would damage Service Pack 1 by doing this, but every thing seems fine.
As usual your advice is much appreciated.
Mary T

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2008 2:31 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.