Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to delete LimeWire from Add & Remove prog in win xp

by sabina_2004 / October 8, 2004 4:05 AM PDT

I recently installed LimeWire, but then changed my mind and was able to delete or remove everything - as far as I know. However I am stuck with LimeWire in my control panel (in Add & Remove programs). It will not budge.
Please, how can I remove this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to delete LimeWire from Add & Remove prog in win xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to delete LimeWire from Add & Remove prog in win xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to delete LimeWire from Add & Remove prog in win
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2004 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / October 31, 2004 12:05 PM PST

Thank you all for the help to delete Limewire. I finally managed to get it done - I hope. And I went into Major Geeks (thank you Bob) and followed their program to clean up my act, but Lord knows, with all the anti spyware I have downloaded, I now found out that apparently all my keystrokes are being recorded. A key logger? Even though I have ad-aware SE and Spybot and Spyware doctor and Norton's and a firewall (windows xp). I apologize for being difficult, my problem is that I love working on the computer and get myself into scraps accordingly.
sabina.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 31, 2004 10:05 PM PST
but Lord knows, with all the anti spyware I have downloaded, I now found out that apparently all my keystrokes are being recorded. A key logger? Even though I have ad-aware SE and Spybot and Spyware doctor and Norton's and a firewall

Please note this "forum thread."
Collapse -
More good information....
by Larry38 / November 11, 2004 8:21 AM PST

sabina,
Here is another good thread.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002
There are a lot of good free programs to choose from, you don't need to spend money unless you just want to. Just be carefull what you use and keep them updated (Very Important) also try a browser such as Firefox, or there are other free ones to choose from.
Hope this will help a little.
Larry

Collapse -
clearing dead items add/remove programs
by jiggawoo / January 18, 2005 1:07 PM PST

I had this problem the cure is simple.
start->run
then type Regedit and click OK

Now in the left pane click untill you are have

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Then the folder/key for limewire will be in there + any other software that was hard to delete.
Delete that folder/key from the left pane and it will remove it from add/remove programs.

Collapse -
clearing dead items add/remove programs LIMEWIRE
by 1bill / January 19, 2005 4:28 AM PST

Thanks jiggawoo,
I never use ftp but, I have had "uninstalled" programs
leave a little souvenir in the add/remove programs.
You have given me the answer

Collapse -
by dkmi / November 11, 2004 6:54 AM PST

Next time pay for the Pro version. You were probably planning on obtaining material with a copywrite for free already. Would spending $20 bucks or whatever the cost of the pro (spyware free) version have killed you?

Collapse -
dkmi,, in my opinion
by retired / November 11, 2004 7:33 AM PST

Your post is totally uncalled for, you probably know nothing about this person so why say such things???

Collapse -
Re: dkmi,, in my opinion
by fmaylock / November 16, 2004 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: dkmi,, in my opinion

This message sure did not com from me, I am not that type of person to do this.
Thank You,
Francis Maylock

Collapse -
by rjyorks / December 2, 2004 12:26 AM PST

Sabina,

Check this site, it has a software program that claims to remove it and also manual instructions to delete the files and edit the registry. If you're not familiar with editing the registry, you should consider getting the software. If you incorrectly edit the registry your computer may crash and not boot up again.

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/l/limewire.asp

Robert

Collapse -
by bemoedee / December 2, 2004 1:46 AM PST

Try running some anti-spyware programs like Ad-Aware or SpyBot.

Collapse -
Spybot doesn't get rid of Lime Wire or Virtual Bouncer
by elliehowe / December 28, 2004 9:04 AM PST

Hi!

We've tried both. Spyware identifies Virtual Bouncer but cannot delete it. It did not identify Lime Wire as a suspicious program or application...

Collapse -
Virtual Bouncer removal
by roddy32 / December 28, 2004 9:20 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.