Windows 7

General discussion

Unable to Connect WiFi on my Laptop

by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 4:41 PM PST

Every one else is using a WiFi in my home except me.I don't know why.Whenever I'm trying to connect,I'm getting message,Windows was unable to connect.

I have checked in Network adapters option,My device is working properly.

I was able to use if a day before or so but not now.

I have to use Ethernet cable to use Internet now.

Kindly help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to Connect WiFi on my Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to Connect WiFi on my Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WiFi
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 4:50 PM PST

Laptops tend to have a hardware or software switch to turn WiFi on or off. Useful if you take it with you when traveling in a plane where using WiFi isn't allowed. Maybe yours is set to Off by accident?

Check the manual of your laptop where the switch is located or what function key to press or what program to run.

Kees

Collapse -
@Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 4:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: WiFi

Yes,I do have a manual WiFi switch and it's turned on.

Collapse -
Does it work elsewhere?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: WiFi

Try a free hotspot or a home network with a friend.

Kees

Collapse -
@Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 4:57 PM PST

Yes,It worked well before in my friends apartment.

Can't we trouble shoot it here?

Collapse -
It worked well before with you at home.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 5:20 PM PST
In reply to: @Kees

And now it doesn't work. Now check in your friends apartment.

Kees

Collapse -
@Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 5:26 PM PST

It Worked in my apartment as well for some time.But not now.

My friend lives far away from my apartment.

Collapse -
I shouldn't know how to troubleshoot.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 5:49 PM PST
In reply to: @Kees

Things to try:
1. System restore back to when it worked.
2. Delete the network and let Windows re-find it. Then enter the password again.
3. Use a new Windows account.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 5:58 PM PST

I have restored my computer.Didn't work. Could you tell me how to perform steps two and three?

Collapse -
Re: Step 2 and 3
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 6:07 PM PST
In reply to: Kees

Step 3 is easy. Make a new Windows user in Control Panel and use that.

Step 2 is the standard wireless configuration tool. Windows comes with one, but some laptop makers add their own software. So it depends both on your OS and on the maker of your laptop (like Dell or Acer or Toshiba). Only you know how to do it in your laptop. I don't.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 6:32 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Step 2 and 3

Well I have Dell inspiron 1545 with windows7 home premium installed. Please tell me how to perform step 2.

Collapse -
I don't know.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2011 6:38 PM PST

I don't have a Dell Inspiron 1545. And I don't have a Windows 7 machine that has wireless. It's your machine and your setup.

Most likely it's a setting. Either at system level (then it won't work in another Windows account either) or at your user account (then it will work in another Windows account). Then it could be a setting in Windows or in the wireless configuration utility just for this router. That's why I suggested to try a free hotspot or your friends router.
Finally, there's a small chance it's hardware. Then it will never work.

Just continue the troubleshooting.

If all else fails: back to factory settings via the system recovery and redo what you did before to get it working.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees
by Sanguine_about_denouement / January 17, 2011 6:34 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Step 2 and 3

I have Dell inspiron 1545 windows home premium. Please help me in performing step 2.

Collapse -
Firewall - My {Wi-Fi} device is working properly.
by Tractor-RV / January 22, 2011 7:06 AM PST

Quote:
Whenever I'm trying to connect,I'm getting message,Windows was unable to connect.
I have checked in Network adapters option, {My device is working properly.}

A) {If you device is working - then you are blocked by windows firewall; or your anti-virus software.}

Collapse -
Unable to conect WiFi on my laptop
by BarryPC2 / February 6, 2011 8:58 PM PST

This can solved by adding the mac address of the laptop to the list on the wireless router. Mac Address can be found on the promt commands of the laptop.

Collapse -
this will help you
by budzmary / December 6, 2012 11:18 AM PST

if your connections are discoverable but you cant connect..just go to control panel > network and sharing center > manage wireless networks then click properties of what router did you use if you know the password but if you cant connect,just replace the new password on the security tab of your router properties..maybe it has changed..thats for computers and laptops..for others like cellphones or ipod's just restore your network settings then connect it will ask you again for a password then enter the correct password..it will connect you to your router 100%..ahaha thanks..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.